Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wraparound TailPiece Replacement Resomax, PT, TonePros

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum and I truly did my due diligence to search the forum first but I have a 90's USA Artist with the original Wilkinson bridge and tone pros locking studs. I've read Pigtail is the way to go for a more reliable tailpiece but in my search I came across Shishkov using the Graphtech Resomax. So I'm wondering if that would work in my situation. I'd really like to keep the Tonepro studs. Thoughts? 

Edit: I see Stewmac also has their own "Golden Age" low profile intonatble wrap.

I've got a Godin GT P90 with a GraphTech ResoMax NW1 wrapper and I love it.  Super comfy, intonates easily, and stays on the posts when changing strings - https://graphtech.com/collections/resomax-bridges-wraparound/products/copy-of-resomax-nw1-wraparound-bridge-chrome

I had Mike order a gold Faber wraparound for my current Shishkov. Then I changed to a Mann vibrato. So I have a new gold Faber available, if you’re interested.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, burningyen said:

No, it's the Compensated Wraptail (un-aged) aka CWT-UA:

MojoAxe%20Wraptail%20-%20aged%20and%20un

Thanks for circling back. It looks like on the MA website that they recommend the lightning bridge for guitars with parallel bridge polls (like your guitar) and the bridge you have is recommended for angled bridges like 50's Jiniors. I'm a little confused.

11 hours ago, atomicwash said:

I had Mike order a gold Faber wraparound for my current Shishkov. Then I changed to a Mann vibrato. So I have a new gold Faber available, if you’re interested.

Thank you for offering. I'm in need of chrome or nickel. 

I traded into a Warmoth VIP with a Gotoh 510  It's ok. Intonates very well and doesn't hurt my hand when I'm banging away.

But I prefer the old style Faber. Put one on my '95 Studio soon after arrival and it remains the one I like the best. The new Faber seems to work too but I prefer the old style.

OTOH: When I googled "Intonation is for pussies" the 1st 7 hits point to The HFC. But I can't find any of them when I search here.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, BubbaVO said:

What exactly do you mean when you say "for a more reliable tailpiece"?   I never had any tailpiece break. So what is it you're looking for?

More reliable tones, of course. 

I'm hoping for a set it and forget it type intonation, something that feels more comfortable to me on the palm, and my current bridge has a few slots that developed in various places before I owned the guitar, so the some of the string keep sliding around, and it's at or near the adjustable part of the bridge around the B and G. I know I can get a million opinions on each of these issues, so I used the broad term reliable, as I would like to find a replacement instead of trying to make this tail work.

Gotcha.

I had a Wilkie wrap tail  on a mid-90s Studio and never had any intonation problems. You've gotten some really good suggestions on wrap tails that allow for more adjustments than the Wilkie.  Since you mentioned the Graphtec in the Shishkov, all I'll say is Mike wouldn't allow a piece of hardware to go into one of his guitars that he thought was substandard in any way.  A while back and I spoke to him about a few trem options and he made a very clear point about steering me away from something he didn't think was up to par.  If you peruse the Shishkov forum, you'll see that he has put a few different kinds of wraptail bridges on his guitars.  For what it's worth, you can add that to your thinking.  Trust me... I'm an anonymous dude you've never met or interacted with on the interwebs before.

Good luck.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:52 AM, gnochman said:

Thanks for circling back. It looks like on the MA website that they recommend the lightning bridge for guitars with parallel bridge polls (like your guitar) and the bridge you have is recommended for angled bridges like 50's Jiniors. I'm a little confused.

No, they don't recommend it only for angled bridge posts. It has adjustment grub screws to adapt to either situation.

On 5/11/2020 at 11:30 PM, atomicwash said:

Price?

I put the simple compensated ABM on my Eclipse and it's great in every way. Feels nice under hand and an excellent bit of machining, for sure. 

On 5/15/2020 at 3:02 AM, cynic said:

image.png

Brilliant!

The Hamer bridges are slightly angled, somewhere between the two.

Personally, I hate the Wilkinson wrap-tail and their trem.. Hamer's worst ever choice.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:10 AM, burningyen said:

Yeah, the '50s-style works great on my Newport.

Nice guitar! I thought I’d read somewhere that the Mojoaxe wraptail has a 12” radius, and that most Hamers have a 14-15” radius fingerboard. Any perceived string height variance (over the fingerboard) on the Newport? I suppose the 12” radius is present over the pickups and the arc of the stings flattens out as they approach the nut(?). I see that the bass side of the bridge is kicked out a bit. Does the guitar intonate well?

Archived