Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NAGD: 6+6=12 Strings

After an abortive attempt with an '80s Ovation Custom Legend, I followed (for once...) my own advice . Found this '99 Taylor 355 locally in Berkeley for the same amount as the (now-returned) Ovation.

Specs: Sitka spruce top, straight-grained mahogany back/sides (they moved to using sapele later on), ebony bridge/fingerboard. No fret wear, the intonation is great. Could probably use an action adjustment, but I'm gonna live with it for a while. It plays great! Truly an assload of an all-solid wood acoustic 12 for $1100. 

Sound? Pretty danged lush, with a deep bottom end that the Ovation couldn't compete with. Restringing, conditioning fingerboard and fret polish tonight. Stoked!

IMG_0487-1.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Congratulation, Great guitar. And the best part,  should the action need work besides truss rod adjustment, the bolt on neck and shims won’t require major surgery.

5 hours ago, JGale said:

Tune it OpenG. Play some Kottke. Swoon.

I'll be honest, I've never tried his stuff, but knowing how highly Michael-f*cking*-Hedges regarded that dude's technique, I'm thinking that's not the ideal way for me to bond with a new guitar.  :D 

About the time you 1st posted this, a 355 popped up on the local CL. For a grand! I decided to wait and see. Got some extra cash yesterday so went looking again this morning. Now $1500!

Oh well. :(

On 5/13/2020 at 6:44 PM, RobB said:

IMG_0487-1.JPG

Beautiful jumbo 12er.  Based on that shape, methinks that guitar could deliver a killer 7-day forecast.

spacer.png 

3 hours ago, Hbom said:

About the time you 1st posted this, a 355 popped up on the local CL. For a grand! I decided to wait and see. Got some extra cash yesterday so went looking again this morning. Now $1500!

Oh well. :(

Don’t despair! The truth is out there: Reno, NV.

As far as the CL ad goes, offer the guy $1200 (actual cost of mine with sales tax).

19 hours ago, RobB said:

Don’t despair! The truth is out there: Reno, NV.

As far as the CL ad goes, offer the guy $1200 (actual cost of mine with sales tax).

I am suppose to be down sizing, not adding to my pile. So I don't rush into things as much as I used to. I usually let CL ads run for a week or so to give someone who can actually play guitar a chance before I make inquiries. After reading about your new guitar day I put this one on the watch list. But still gave the rest of the world a chance to step in line ahead of me. Then he jacks the price!

I just don't understand the theory behind listing something for sale, then when no one buys it, raise the price by 50%! I guess that's why I never made it as a business man.

I'll give him another week or so and if it's still available, maybe I'll give him a call.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/d/anchorage-taylor-12-string-jumbo-855/7123829251.html

If not Grab any of the Taylors. Otherwise, Guild or Larrivee 12 strings.  I got this GS Custom off eBay in 2013. It was like new and custom ordered with mahogany sides/back, ebony board/head plate/truss rod cover, ivoroid binding, gold hardware.  Sweet sounding and playing.

4B51D246-C25B-4849-B7CB-E93713EE727C.jpeg

Beauty! That shape is a perfect compromise between a jumbo and dreadnaught. I thought the jumbo, 355 would be a bit ungainly (I do NOT get on with big acoustics), but the comfy neck makes it much easier to navigate. Big, balanced tone.

Taylor's got 'em all beat in the neck department.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, Hbom said:

I'll give him another week or so and if it's still available, maybe I'll give him a call.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/d/anchorage-taylor-12-string-jumbo-855/7123829251.html

Dang, that’s a pretty luxe model. Fully bound, rosewood body and lots of silk in the top. I hope you can swing it!

As far as the price change, he posted it before he researched previously sold models. Frustrating for the consumer, to be sure, but a pretty common CL annoyance.

Archived