Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Score of the day. 1974 Marshall 1982A cab. :-)

I had my eye on this cab in february 2019. I saw an ad on Facebook marketplace. The seller wanted 800 dollars. A stellar price. But I had just moved to our new house and my guitar fund was kinda empty. 

Then later last spring I found an early 2000 Marshall 1960AX cab that I bought. And I put in two reconed mid 70's G12H-30's in it and kept two of the UK G12M-25's. But this cab has never spoken to me.  It never felt like a marriage. It does not have a spanking deep tight bottom, and the highs feel kinda harsh, not blooming. I have tried to loosen the screws  that holds the speakers a bit, and that improved how the cab sings. But when I turn the volume down on the guitar the cleans are not as sparkly as I want them to be. The cab just lacks that "something". My old 1960's half open back Danish 3x12 cab sounds way better. This cab just smokes the 1960AX. The 3x12 cab sings. Instant AC/DC tone. I love it, it rings!

And yesterday I had enough of the Marshall cab. By chance I searched for the old Messenger thread I had with the seller, and shot him a message. He still had the cab! He even came by my rehersal place with it today. Damn, this thing has a totally different timbre. Way bigger bottom end. Tight and clean, no mush. Notes are separated. High notes bloom. I could turn up the bass knob on the Marshall and the cab stayed totally focused and clear. It's like night and day to the newer Marshall cab.

I checked the speakers and I could not find any stamps on the paper cones. But they were really old, and dusty. I could hardly remove the speakers, they had stuck to the baffel. Probably never been removed. I pryed one loose and found a stamp close to the spindle, that said "98700". But the typeface was different than any other cone stamp I've seen on old Celestions. Got home and google it:

"Very little is known about them[98700 cones], but I can tell you they are some of the nicest cones you can find and are well worth looking out for. Please do not dismiss them as recones. The tone is slightly less mid focused than the pulsonics, so a bit flatter sounding, but still a very nice smooth & fluid tone, not harsh or gritty." https://www.bygonetones.com/vintage-celestion-guitar-speaker-cones.html#98700

Marshall labeled Celestion frames, T128's: 
"The T1281 first appears around October 1966, and was an exclusive model to Marshall. They were used in the 100 logo 4×12 cabs (model 1982). It is regarded by many as “the Hendrix speaker” because he can clearly be seen using these cabs in old footage. Loud and bassy, with the thick sounding lower mids. Also used by countless other pioneering guitarists back in the 60’s such as Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore. The T1281 is probably the most sought after greenback model of them all!"
https://www.bygonetones.com/celestion-greenback-models.html

42322649_2108815122484970_13751484425563

I scored on this one! It has been in the studio and toured all over Europe many times. The guy I bought it from is the guitarist in the 80's Swedish band 220 Volts. 

98700 cone sound sample vs Pulsonics

Archived