Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tone Tubby 40/40

I have been using them for 8 years off and on. I have kept a very special 40/40 that comes and goes, but here recently I installed it into the Mather Cab that I just had build. I did it only to try it because I was bored and I was floored. I think its just the size of the cabinet that made it work. I have been using a CV65, Red Fangs for about a year now and they work for and I like them, but they are loud ass speakers and don't break up as fast as this one does. I'm going to try a 10" Version soon in my 2x10, I have been talking it over with a TT Dealer, and I may pull the trigger soon. What I really need is just more cabs. LOL 

I had a TT 40/40 in my old Lil Dawg Pug for a while and found it was the PUNCHIEST speaker I had ever heard. I bet the 10s would kill with my blonde Bassman.

Having put the brakes on playing out, it is time I should cut some of my builds loose. But it has been a good learning experience to experiment with different sizes and types of cabinets., then pair them with different size and type speakers. I def think the "Forte" type rule.

But Shawn should try one of these for "casual" gigs......Assuming he has at least two strong backs......😉

39219016232_7e27d593a9_k.jpg

@django49 nope, not going to happen. LOL I wanted too do that for a long time, but now I don't want to carry anything that heavy. 

I just ordered a 10" 40/40 and one Red to mix in my 2x10. So we will see, I will move the "Extra" 10" Red Fangs to offset the purchase. Those are amazing speakers as well, but I never use them as singles always mixed. They are rocking Alnico Speakers for sure. 

Yeah, with two EVM FIFTEEN Ls, that is about the equal, size and weight, of a heavy duty 4 x 12.

FWIW, you might want to try one of those "Plug and Play" plates for your 2 x 10. It allows you to easily use the 2 x in either 4 or 16 ohms (when you have 2 8 ohm speakers) or to use the speakers separately if you have a stereo amp. Or just a single 10". I makes it easy to experiment, esp if you have mismatched speakers.

43 minutes ago, django49 said:

Yeah, with two EVM FIFTEEN Ls, that is about the equal, size and weight, of a heavy duty 4 x 12.

FWIW, you might want to try one of those "Plug and Play" plates for your 2 x 10. It allows you to easily use the 2 x in either 4 or 16 ohms (when you have 2 8 ohm speakers) or to use the speakers separately if you have a stereo amp. Or just a single 10". I makes it easy to experiment, esp if you have mismatched speakers.

Those do sound cool, but i'm trying to button up the insanity. I have two amps (EL84 and 6V6), two cabs (2x10 and 1x12) with convertible backs, and a handful of guitars. I have three non guitar related guitar projects that need money and time. I also have to keep coming up with ways to talk my wife out of moving. I think she has finally had it with IL. 

I have one in my Mesa./Boogie Express 5:25 and am digging. It is a bright and I was able to EQ things nicely.

I also have a Winterland which is brighter due to the thinner cone. Two things I experience with TT speakers -

1. They need to be driven a bit to get the best tone.

2. They really respond to different tone/EQ settings, pickups and amps.

I don't have many cabinets to play with.  Of course the cab  is a sensitive component in the tone chain. Would love to spend some time with this collection.

Slightly OT, but I bought a Red Fang 10 off Bubs and it is simply a fab alnico. The 12” Fang has always been my fave in most applications, but the 10 sounds every bit as good but a little faster due to the size.

If he sells the others, someone here should buy them.

Never tried a TT, but I put a Cannabis Rex in my '65 DRRI and it sounded real good (traded it for my Dr Z a few weeks ago).

I really like those cabs, Django. I just got this funky old Univox 12" ported PA cab (converted for guitar w/ a Greenback), great small rig w/ the Quilter;

Kiesel & Quilter.JPG

5 hours ago, topekatj said:

What the heck are those ported cabs at the center left and far right?

The 1x15s and 2x12s on either end of the middle row are powered by a stereo power amplifier fed by a  mixer 

for the acoustic side of a duotone.   I built a jfet splitter to run all the heads together for the electric side. Great

for living room noodling. The whole rig is pretty full sounding.

7 minutes ago, butcher said:

The 1x15s and 2x12s on either end of the middle row are powered by a stereo power amplifier fed by a  mixer 

for the acoustic side of a duotone.   I built a jfet splitter to run all the heads together for the electric side. Great

for living room noodling. The whole rig is pretty full sounding.

With a DuoTone, it must have a great acoustic voice!

He did just fine, I put it back on a big brown truck yesterday and he supplied me with my refund. It was easy, I hope he can recoup some money. He bought a Red brand new, paid to have it broken in and then never used it. I was lucky to have found a Red, 10," 16ohms, but now I may end up buying another 40/40 new. 

Archived