Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1978 Yamaha SL500S Studio Lord

Had to look up what agathis wood is. Apparently it’s a type of evergreen/conifer. Supposed to be fairly soft and easily workable like basswood but with a tone similar to alder. Or so the intrawebs would have me believe. 

I dunno...  it looks really nice, but with an agathis body and maple neck, I wouldn’t really think it would sound much like a les Paul. Which, for me, would be one of the things I’d want in a les Paul copy...

1 hour ago, currypowder said:

That looks pretty cool. But the price, IMO, is a bit ambitious for a late 70s mid-level LP clone.

I disagree. People who know the quality of Yamaha guitars from that era will not have a problem with the price.
I have one of their basses (BB1200) from 1979 and it kicks ass 40+ years later.

I have owned more Yamaha guitars then any other and even the lower price range models are very fine instruments.I had one of these long ago and it was a great guitar for the money,was well built and played really nice,brother now owns it.

I had SL 600S, absolutely gorgeous with sound to match. Sold it in 2016 for around the same. Superb built quality. But was kinda heavy, like Les Paul Custom 79 heavy ( as most of those 70's LPCs are just disc herniation devices)

14 hours ago, dhuber said:

Did Yamaha get sued or threatened with a lawsuit for that particular guitar.  It looks like a pretty authentic Les Paul.

Yamaha was never sued.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, Travis said:

Had to look up what agathis wood is. Apparently it’s a type of evergreen/conifer. Supposed to be fairly soft and easily workable like basswood but with a tone similar to alder. Or so the intrawebs would have me believe. 

I dunno...  it looks really nice, but with an agathis body and maple neck, I wouldn’t really think it would sound much like a les Paul. Which, for me, would be one of the things I’d want in a les Paul copy...

If agathis is like alder in tone, then that is a good thing. Alder , IIRC, is not too far removed from mahogany as a tone wood is the frequency ranges it provides...and didn’t Gibby  use some maple necks in the  70s on some Lesters?

Yes, the Norlin corporate management decision makers thought it would be a good idea to save some money during their stewardship of the brand during the 70's and use maple instead of mahogany in their neck construction. A buddy of mine bought a Les Paul Custom new in 1976 that had to be 12 pounds. Sandwich hog body, maple neck and maple fretboard.

These Yamaha SL series guitars look a lot like Norlin LP's with the shallow top carve. Probably better built. Here's a Norlin era LP Custom backside shot showing the maple neck. 

qhcebwoemmxpw7umtjjb.jpg

44 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

If agathis is like alder in tone, then that is a good thing. Alder , IIRC, is not too far removed from mahogany as a tone wood is the frequency ranges it provides...and Did it Gibby  use some maple necks in the  70s on some Lesters?

Yeah, they definitely used maple necks on les Pauls for a while. 

I want to say that I remember reading somewhere that some of Zakk Wylde’s favorite LP’s had maple necks...

11 hours ago, Travis said:

I want to say that I remember reading somewhere that some of Zakk Wylde’s favorite LP’s had maple necks...

They did. Even some had maple fingerboards.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, killerteddybear said:

I disagree. People who know the quality of Yamaha guitars from that era will not have a problem with the price.
I have one of their basses (BB1200) from 1979 and it kicks ass 40+ years later.

Yup! Have a BB400S from around 1980. Mahogany body and maple neck. Killer p-bass. GLWTS!

Archived