Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Trying to convert a friend

A friend of mine has played acoustics for over 40 years. In the past few years he started on electrics for jazz. He tried a PRS SE, didn’t like it, he’s got a low end LP now and not crazy about it.  So he’s looking at Ibanez George Benson, ES335s, and now at  vintage Starfires. He’s asking my advice and I think the Bendon model is nice, and a vintage starfire too. But I couldn’t help but show him some nice Newport Pros with the nice jazz burst.  He likes the idea that there are just minimal pots and just a 3 way switch. The Gretchs made his head swim.  So I sent him some old reverb listings for the Newports and just for the sport of it a 25th anni. because it was only $850 or so.   “Why so cheap?” He says.  
 So I sent him the YouTube factory tour and I’ll let him come by and try both the Newport Pro and 25th anni  I have.  

It’ll be interesting to see where he lands.  I’m not going to push him, just let him play them and they the proverbial chips fall.

Wait... you saw a 25th for $850 and you didn’t buy it for yourself?!?

48 minutes ago, Travis said:

Wait... you saw a 25th for $850 and you didn’t buy it for yourself?!?

I have one.  And an LTD model. 

it’s been there for a couple weeks at least. I guess the $79 shipping puts it at $925ish   

https://reverb.com/item/31269141-1999-hamer-artist-25th-anniversary?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=31269141

1 hour ago, ceeb said:

I have one.  And an LTD model. 

it’s been there for a couple weeks at least. I guess the $79 shipping puts it at $925ish   

https://reverb.com/item/31269141-1999-hamer-artist-25th-anniversary?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=31269141

And you can’t have 2..?

different pickups... different hardware. Strip the finish and send it out to stike to make it awesome...

2 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

He can buy this Eastman from me. AR805CE with antique violin finish.

image.png

Otherwise, play him some Danny Gatton (Redneck Jazz) and point him to the Telecasters...

I was looking looking at Eastman mandolins but found a small US builder that got my order. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

And you can’t have 2..?

different pickups... different hardware. Strip the finish and send it out to stike to make it awesome...

This will sound odd to a lot of you but I’m quite happy with the 13 guitars I have. In fact I just sold two and don’t plan to replace them. Well one funded my mandolin purchase. 

Did you say George Benson (as in GB10)? I have had a s**tload of guitars come and go over the past 50 years or so. IIRC, the one I have had the longest (since the 80s I think) is a GB10....Original Japan model. Somehow I cannot let that one go.

I understand there are much cheaper imported versions now available.....I briefly owned one (Korean, I think) long ago. I did not like it as much as the original and quickly sold it. I have no experience with the entry level versions now available for under $700 (new).

If I was to look for another, I would prefer one with the floating  Johnny Smith style pickups.

9 hours ago, django49 said:

Did you say George Benson (as in GB10)? I have had a s**tload of guitars come and go over the past 50 years or so. IIRC, the one I have had the longest (since the 80s I think) is a GB10....Original Japan model. Somehow I cannot let that one go.

I understand there are much cheaper imported versions now available.....I briefly owned one (Korean, I think) long ago. I did not like it as much as the original and quickly sold it. I have no experience with the entry level versions now available for under $700 (new).

If I was to look for another, I would prefer one with the floating  Johnny Smith style pickups.

I’m urging him to look at guitars that weren’t stamped out in Korea or Indonesia, but a quality built guitar. So the Japanese made GB Would be an option over a newer one. 

If he’s playing jazz that Eastman above would be a candidate. Of course you can play jazz on anything etc etc. What’s his price range?

I’d search old threads from the jazz forum. For moderate $ Eastman is hard to beat. I love my Newport but it would not be my first choice for a jazz vibe. 

Newport rulz. I’m sure he’s going to like both of them.

Newport’s are great, but for A “classic” jazz sound an Ibanez GB10 is better, and easier to handle than a Gibson L5. 

Oh, do not forget to put on flatwound strings. 

Gabe 😎

7 hours ago, Hfan said:

If he’s playing jazz that Eastman above would be a candidate. Of course you can play jazz on anything etc etc. What’s his price range?

I’d search old threads from the jazz forum. For moderate $ Eastman is hard to beat. I love my Newport but it would not be my first choice for a jazz vibe. 

Up to $2K. I’ll mention the Eastman. 

21 hours ago, ceeb said:

A friend of mine has played acoustics for over 40 years. In the past few years he started on electrics for jazz. He tried a PRS SE, didn’t like it, he’s got a low end LP now and not crazy about it.  So he’s looking at Ibanez George Benson, ES335s, and now at  vintage Starfires. He’s asking my advice and I think the Bendon model is nice, and a vintage starfire too. But I couldn’t help but show him some nice Newport Pros with the nice jazz burst.  He likes the idea that there are just minimal pots and just a 3 way switch. The Gretchs made his head swim.  So I sent him some old reverb listings for the Newports and just for the sport of it a 25th anni. because it was only $850 or so.   “Why so cheap?” He says.  
 So I sent him the YouTube factory tour and I’ll let him come by and try both the Newport Pro and 25th anni  I have.  

It’ll be interesting to see where he lands.  I’m not going to push him, just let him play them and they the proverbial chips fall.

Why?

Unless you're trying to move some of your stock, the less folks out there gunnin' for the remaining Hamers, the more for you and the rest of us existing and faithful Hamer fans.  ;)

Archived