Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just 24 Notes

I cannot locate a bugle, but I will plug in and do it on guitar.

A short cut if anyone needs it.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taps 

e|----------------9------9---9---9-------9--12--9--------------------------|

B|------10-----10------10--10--10-----10----------10-----------10----------|

G|--9-9------9--------9---9---9----------------------9-----9-9-------------|

D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|

18 minutes ago, cynic said:

Last military funeral I attended had a digital bugler.  Sad.

Perhaps no bugler was available in the area.  There had to be a reason.  I do agree that it was sad that a traditional bugler was not available.  The honor for the deceased was still there. 

I've only been to one strictly military funeral (non-combat death, young active duty Marine killed in a car wreck) but when "Taps" was played it was gut-wrenching. 

That said, i consider it fortunate for my family that when we visited Arlington National Cemetery some years ago, a cortege happened to pass by. I wrote a column about that experience. I'm pasting it hear (again?); if it's redundant so be it. Note the date that all the space at Arlington would reportedly be used up.

Arlington Nat'l Cemetery.jpg

33 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Perhaps no bugler was available in the area.

Nope.  The digital bugler was a member of the official honor guard from the Air Force base two miles away.  The burial service was held on one of only 142 national cemeteries . The guy's 20+ years of service were 100% analog.  The symbolism was there.  The honor was not.  

To be fair, it may have been the widow's choice or she may not have cared one way or the other.  I'm just suggesting it should never be an option because it comes with all the emotion of a Kenny G recording.  

There are literally 4000 volunteer buglers standing by to provide live services free of charge.  Friends don't let friends have digital buglers.

I've played that tune way too many times. I don't do it anymore. Got too old. But I'm proud to say that when the Army/Air Force base national cemetery in Anchorage tried to use Taps from a can a few years back, there were enough veterans who offered to play live at every funeral that it's not done from a recording here. Mostly.

Archived