Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone recognize this Tom Petersson 8-string Hamer

Pretty sure that one was never owned by Tom.   It’s been discussed here and elsewhere...Tom may have signed it, but he didn’t own many 8s.

I never saw him with a 8 string but I did see him with  a 12 String... Like the one I had..

Tom Peterson 12.jpg

Hamer B12S.jpg

9 hours ago, custom53 said:

I never saw him with a 8 string but I did see him with  a 12 String... Like the one I had..

Tom Peterson 12.jpg

Hamer B12S.jpg

How do these sounds? How would you use this vs a 4 string? By that I mean what is it best suited for?

20 minutes ago, HAMERMAN said:

One way they seem to get used is to thicken the sound of a trio to sound more like they have a rhythm guitarist. Listen to some early King's X to get a rough idea. 

There are several tunes on Gretchen Goes to Nebraska where the heavy texture of the 12er fills the gaps when Ty Tabor is taking a solo.  It's very obvious, yet it sounds perfectly natural on those recordings. The lads knew what they were doing.

24 minutes ago, HAMERMAN said:

One way they seem to get used is to thicken the sound of a trio to sound more like they have a rhythm guitarist. Listen to some early King's X to get a rough idea. 

If you want to hear how a Hamer 12-string bass in the capable hands of Tom Petersson can drive a song, listen to CT's rendition of "I Want You to Want Me" at their "Live at Budokan" performance. Play the video sound through a full-range set of headphones to hear how the thrumming of a 12-string bass can propel the song from start to finish.

2 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

I would say just listen to some Cheap Trick!

Yep.   Somebody got to bring a bass backstage and had the band sign it.   I’m even more convinced now that TOM never owned/played that bass.

• 11 months later...

The shop can say whatever they want if that's what they're saying

It's  never been owned by Tom

Nice modified  signer bass

I had a really fun exchange with them today!

Its not for sale

During the pub rock/Rockpile era, Nick Lowe played a Hamer 8-String Bass, and he'd opined that it sounded like 'dinosaurs eating cars,' so Hamer ran an ad with him and his bass. My perception is that he's sometimes overlooked when multi-string Hamer basses are being discussed.

8. Hamer Nick Lowe ad.jpg

50 minutes ago, TB1 said:

The shop can say whatever they want if that's what they're saying

It's  never been owned by Tom

Nice modified  signer bass

I had a really fun exchange with them today!

Its not for sale

Sounds interesting... Care to elaborate?

1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

During the pub rock/Rockpile era, Nick Lowe played a Hamer 8-String Bass, and he'd opined that it sounded like 'dinosaurs eating cars,' so Hamer ran an ad with him and his bass. My perception is that he's sometimes overlooked when multi-string Hamer basses are being discussed.

8. Hamer Nick Lowe ad.jpg

I can hear him singing "She was a winner, who became the doggies dinner" 

She never meant that much to me.

When I was playing bass more than guitar I owned (not simultaneously) a B12L, a B12S, and a B8S. They were all tons of fun, especially the long-scale 12. As I was in a trio doing noisy originals the sound became part of our sound. They do teach you to play more economically and purposefully, as if you’re the sloppy or hesitant you can REALLY hear your mistakes. 

You can really hear the 12-string sound on In Color, which I believe was the first album on which Petersen used one.  Without listening to the album, I can’t say which tracks illustrate it best.  You’re All Talk springs to mind, though.  

40 years down the road, I’m struck by how quickly he mastered an entirely new instrument.  There are times you can hear him using up- or down-strokes to play the bass strings and the octaves independently of one another.

2 hours ago, Rich_S said:

You can really hear the 12-string sound on In Color, which I believe was the first album on which Petersen used one.  Without listening to the album, I can’t say which tracks illustrate it best.  You’re All Talk springs to mind, though.  

40 years down the road, I’m struck by how quickly he mastered an entirely new instrument.  There are times you can hear him using up- or down-strokes to play the bass strings and the octaves independently of one another.

Actually, there is no 12 string bass on “In Color”!   
True story!

Archived