Hamer Fan Club Message Center

T-51 Love?

On 5/30/2020 at 7:45 PM, mudshark said:

I've played my '94 more than any electric I own for the last 23 years, so I guess that I like the T-51 a lot.

IMGP9165 (2).JPG

Country, rock, blues or all of the above?

I have had a few tele guitars over the years, never a T-51. I quit wanting another tele style guitar after I bought a Crackercaster from a member of this forum. I sold my others which included a G&L, a MIJ Fender, and a Warmoth one with Fralin pickups. The Crackercaster just felt right, big neck, classic tele sound with the Nordstrand pickups....

When I think Hamer, tele's don't automatically come to mind. However standards, artists, Newport, Monaco, Mirage, Doutone etc are the ones I most associate with the brand.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:21 PM, spanky said:

I have had a few tele guitars over the years, never a T-51. I quit wanting another tele style guitar after I bought a Crackercaster from a member of this forum. I sold my others which included a G&L, a MIJ Fender, and a Warmoth one with Fralin pickups. The Crackercaster just felt right, big neck, classic tele sound with the Nordstrand pickups....

When I think Hamer, tele's don't automatically come to mind. However standards, artists, Newport, Monaco, Mirage, Doutone etc are the ones I most associate with the brand.

Does the Crackercaster you have use cypress for the body?  From looking at their online information (they have a Facebook page but I haven't found a website for them yet), they seem to like using local (Florida) woods.

1 hour ago, Jack C said:

Maybe I’m shallow, but I don’t like any Teles or Strats without Fender headstocks.  Just looks wrong.  Especially with that big honking Hamer logo.

The great thing is when you play, you really don't see that, right? Besides, when you are Famous!!! Your fans will see you play Hamers!!!

1 hour ago, 0054 said:

The great thing is when you play, you really don't see that, right? Besides, when you are Famous!!! Your fans will see you play Hamers!!!

Carl Perkins once said in an issue of Guitar Player (March '97, the same issue he mentions Hamer made him a two-pickup Strat-style guitar because three pickups got in the way of his fingerpicking), that when he started out playing in bars, he used to play a Harmony Stratotone, and covered the headstock logo with tape, so that people would think he was playing a Les Paul.  Quote: "But the drunks can't read no way."

8 hours ago, crunchee said:

Carl Perkins once said in an issue of Guitar Player (March '97, the same issue he mentions Hamer made him a two-pickup Strat-style guitar because three pickups got in the way of his fingerpicking), that when he started out playing in bars, he used to play a Harmony Stratotone, and covered the headstock logo with tape, so that people would think he was playing a Les Paul.  Quote: "But the drunks can't read no way."

Any picks of this Carl Perkins Hamer? Or of Carl playing a Hamer?

12 hours ago, Disturber said:

Any picks of this Carl Perkins Hamer? Or of Carl playing a Hamer?

Sadly, no...no photos of Carl with a Hamer in that particular issue, and I've never seen any photos/videos of him playing a Hamer.  That doesn't necessarily mean that photos don't exist of him using it, though.  But the mention in the magazine of that particular Hamer is a direct quote from Carl, so it's not like the author of the article got it wrong.

2 hours ago, a.bandini said:

Here's one (at an unrealistic asking price, in my opinion) that might temp all of us: https://reverb.com/item/33800110-hamer-usa-t51-90-s-green-telecaster-guitar-w-piezzo-case

I'm sorry, but if you're going to charge 2 grand for a guitar, fucking spell 'piezo' correctly!

When I bought my '94 T-51, the previous owner (or someone before him) had put on a Fender ashtray bridge with brass saddles and changed the switch to a four-way that's set up like the Tally four-way switch; pretty much the mods I would have done to it if it hadn't already been done. They also had swapped out the stock pups with a set of Rio Grande Muy Grandes which sound glorious, almost P90-ish. 

I only have three guitars (the T-51, an '89 Cali, and a '00 Newport), and the T-51 easily has the best tone of the three by far (it just resonates with a solid warmth even when it's unplugged). However, it's my least comfortable to play because the neck is more wide than I prefer for my girly hands. I'm often tempted to change the neck, but I can't help but think it contributes to the tone, which I'd hate to lose.

I've never had a Fender Tele, but I've never gotten along with the sharper body corners of a real Tele when I've played them (though it's something I've had to get used to with the Newport). While I prefer the look of a Fender headstock, the Hamer headstock has grown on me (sort of reminds me of the old Kramer headstock on EVH's Frankie strat). 

3 hours ago, scottcald said:

At least it says Hamer!

And not "played by Rick Nielson"....

On 6/8/2020 at 4:10 PM, a.bandini said:

Here's one (at an unrealistic asking price, in my opinion) that might temp all of us: https://reverb.com/item/33800110-hamer-usa-t51-90-s-green-telecaster-guitar-w-piezzo-case

Is this a factory finish? Gotta bring the green to GET the green, I guess... 

RE: the PIEZZO: Maybe the seller was confused @  Hamer PIZZA day guitar finish flaws.

I've really been bonding with mine lately, it's a fantastic guitar. Something about it just is so right.

Archived