Hamer Fan Club Message Center

strings that gets stuck in the nut??

One of my Sunbursts has problems with the nut. You know, when you tune the guitar, starts playin', and then it's suddenly out of tune again. Strings kinda gets stuck in the nut. Don't know if it's dirt or if the slots are to narrow. I want to fix this. But I am not going to start filing the slots and shit. So what should I try, easiest remedy? Nut souce?

I love this guitar and it works fine when I play at home or at rehersals. But I used this one live last fall and it was a nightmare. You know, 20 seconds between songs, or less, and you need to tune your guitar, and you can not get it right because the nut gives you trouble. I have not dared to use it live since then. Need to fix this....

Outside of filing the nut you’d be looking at lubricating it, I guess. Nut sauce or I’ve heard some people have good results taking a #2 mechanical pencil through the slot. 

if you don’t want to file the nut, I’ve heard of taking a string that is one gauge higher than what you use and essentially “flossing” the nut to remove any burrs or catching points in the groove. 

let me know what you end up doing and what works...

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Outside of filing the nut you’d be looking at lubricating it, I guess. Nut sauce or I’ve heard some people have good results taking a #2 mechanical pencil through the slot. 

if you don’t want to file the nut, I’ve heard of taking a string that is one gauge higher than what you use and essentially “flossing” the nut to remove any burrs or catching points in the groove. 

let me know what you end up doing and what works...

Thanks. Ill try the flossing thing tomorrow. Will let you know if it works!

You can also try dropping down a size in strings. From 10’s to 9’s. When I see this problem come in it’s usually because the owner went up a size. 
Try that if the nut sauce doesn’t work! Other wise just take the string that’s binding and run it back and forth in the slot. That will clean it out. 

If you're not already doing this, make sure that you always tune slightly below the desired pitch, tug gently on the string and then tune up to pitch.

Restring the guitar.  Tighten to pitch.  Use a Sharpie to mark each string where the strings cross the nut. 

Then loosen each string one at a time and use 200 grit sandpaper to thin the string a little where you marked them at the nut. 

4 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

If you're not already doing this, make sure that you always tune slightly below the desired pitch, tug gently on the string and then tune up to pitch.

yeah, I always do that. But on this guitar it's just not working well. Slots are probably for 008 or 009 strings. What did Hamer put on the guitars in 1979? 

I use 010's. 

I will do the string trick. Clean the slots as well as I can and the do what Murkat says, use a little chapstick. We'll see and hear how it works.

If it's sticking in the nut slot, the nut slots need widening or you need thinner strings! I do this for a living...

I had this problem with my Slammer Series Sunburst when I first got it.  I suspect the nut was cut for 9s and I was using 10s.  I used a welding-tip cleaner (WAY cheaper than real nut files) to gently chase out the slots slightly wider.  Then I rubbed in some graphite from my trusty mechanical pencil (I’m an engineer) and I haven’t had any tuning problems since. 

The graphite doesn’t show on my guitar, since it has a black nut.  Some people don’t like graphite on white nuts, because it shows if you use too much.

I’d be wary of putting anything oil- or wax-based on there, for fear it could mess with the finish.

Try the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky set with 9s on top, 10s on the bottom.

ETA: I've encountered an occasional Grover tuner that wouldn't hold pitch. Maybe something to look at?

1 hour ago, benjammin308 said:

A set of gauged nut files changed my life...

THAT posted outside a guitar forum would raise some eyebrows.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, hamerhead said:

Try the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky set with 9s on top, 10s on the bottom.

ETA: I've encountered an occasional Grover tuner that wouldn't hold pitch. Maybe something to look at?

have now screwed the Grover's tight. Some were quite loose and wobbly. And I tried to run the strings throught the slots. And to clean them up. Finally I put some chapstick in them. I think it's much better now. The D and G strings are still a bit funky. But I will do the process all over again when I change strings. Did not have time for that now.

I sure hope there ain't no trouble with the Grovers. These are Bullseyes. I just bought a set for another guitar on Reverb and I think I paid 150 $ for them. Expensive as h*ell.

Archived