Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Custom "Bob" Sunburst on Reverb

Sounds like a $1000 - $1200 premium because someone said that someone said that someone named Bob spoke to Rick Neilsen.
Assuming that even if that were true anyone would care enough to pay for it.

The second boost option is well known in Hof on a specific Vanguard....to be identified as "Montelovesco" option....Argh.....Daniel, you got such a rare model :)

I think the receipt shows the customer being Bob Mann. There's a guitarist by that name who's had a good career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Mann_(guitarist)

I think I can also make out:

"New Hamer Guitar"
"Sunburst Natural"
"Crown Inlays Binding"
"Built-in Preamp (Volume)"
"w/hardshell case"

If you really want to know if it's legit, I think you can contact Bob here:

https://www.yellowpages.com/jacksonville-fl/mip/bob-mann-guitar-voice-music-lessons-7760496

1 minute ago, burningyen said:

My question isn't, "Is it legit?" My question is, "Who gives a shit?"
Anyone paying a 50% premium for that guitar needs to have his head examined for damage.

2 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

I'm kinda confused as to why a guy named "Bob" would have "Bab" engraved on the truss rod cover. Same as how I never understood why the decals on your parts guitars say "DCV" when your last initial is "O".

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

My question isn't, "Is it legit?" My question is, "Who gives a shit?"
Anyone paying a 50% premium for that guitar needs to have his head examined for damage.

Fair enough! I wouldn't pay that much for it, but it's a cool guitar.

1 hour ago, burningyen said:

I think the receipt shows the customer being Bob Mann. There's a guitarist by that name who's had a good career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Mann_(guitarist)

I think I can also make out:

"New Hamer Guitar"
"Sunburst Natural"
"Crown Inlays Binding"
"Built-in Preamp (Volume)"
"w/hardshell case"

https://www.yellowpages.com/jacksonville-fl/mip/bob-mann-guitar-voice-music-lessons-7760496

My question is  how the hell can you read any of that!!:o

arniez

Well known in the session circles and he has certainly had a great career in the "Music BIz".Not much out there on You Tube though.I could only find this little clip of Bob Mann actually playing.

2 hours ago, MCChris said:

I'm kinda confused as to why a guy named "Bob" would have "Bab" engraved on the truss rod cover. 

Nah, that's a lower case cursive 'o'.  They just didn't connect the script from the 'o' to the 'b'.  Yes, this observation falls under the category of 'o', 'c', and 'd'.

agmvbja4o1rvnpagzaa2.jpg

1 minute ago, Toadroller said:

Nah, that's a lower case cursive 'o'.  They just didn't connect the script from the 'o' to the 'b'.  Yes, this observation falls under the category of 'o', 'c', and 'd'.

wtf-is-this-cherry.gif

It's definitely a cool guitar.  I've never seen a Hamer with that particular factory option or a case like the one pictured.  The wiring looks a bit suspicious too.

I'm not interested in buying it, but as always, you all have provided some great info for someone who is.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, MCChris said:

Same as how I never understood why the decals on your parts guitars say "DCV" when your last initial is "O".

Plausible deniability.  

Ok maybe I have been day drinking too much but can someone explain how this "clean boost" worked and why it was needed? Can 1982 Bob ask 1982 Rick that question. What does the boost gain knob do when the boost gain switch is off nothing?

"The clean boost is activated by a switch behind the three-way pickup switch and replaces the tone pot with a boost gain control. Instead of the standard volume, volume, tone this guitar has volume, tone, boost gain. The guitar remains a passive instrument and sounds amazing without a battery powering the clean boost."

These Irish coffee's are kicking my ass.. 

Hummm... My '81 Special has this same switch in the same stupid a$$ location, way too close to the 3 Way Toggle. I always "assumed" it was added later by the same goon that Kahler'ed the guitar, but looking at this thing has me thinking twice. I have this switch buried in my pulled off gear somewhere, I'll have to try and dig it out. My '81 might have had the same thing installed by the factory before it got hacked on later.

Cool axe here, not $3500 cool IMHO but that bAb Truss Cover is pretty cool. 😉

3 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

It's definitely a cool guitar.  I've never seen a Hamer with that particular factory option or a case like the one pictured.  The wiring looks a bit suspicious too.

I'm not interested in buying it, but as always, you all have provided some great info for someone who is.

FWIW, Bubs was recently selling a '82 Prototype that had a brown case.  neither here nor there, but there is a precedent.

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on here, but I am the seller of the guitar.

To address the first point, my ridiculous initial price. I've honestly been outside of the selling game way too long. Especially when it comes to electric guitars. I had no idea where to start or what to ask to be perfectly honest. I've gone ahead and just matched the more expensive of the two dot neck vintage Sunbursts on Reverb right now, which I'm hoping is more in line with the actual value of the guitar.

If someone would be so kind as to advise me over PM to whether or not I'm in the ballpark as to the value of this instrument, I'd appreciate it. I guess I could always put what I paid for it into an inflation calculator, but that's no fun.

My long winded description on Reverb was due to the price. I figured for what I was asking, who ever is reading the ad is going to want as much information as possible. Unfortunately it looks like I left some things out.

To answer a couple of questions that have been asked

When the switch is off, the third knob is in fact dead. Never been an issue for me, because I'm a neck pick up guy.

Why someone would want a clean boost? To slam the front of a tube amp for that sweet, sweet tube distortion.

As far as the authenticity/originality of the guitar, the boost, and the case

The wiring certainly isn't the prettiest, especially when considering the wiring looms of your standard Hamer of this period. But the majority of the wires are cut to an exact length, with the exception of the soldered/heat-shrinked lead wire. I would presume this has to do with having to extend a precut wire to the added switch. I would also presume that due to the low volume of orders for this option, this was a PITA to wire when one came across the soldering bench. From what I can tell all solder joints are original, but I'm no expert. I certainly haven't touched it since I got it, and the receipt is pretty clear about the added boost option.

The case came with the guitar as far as I know. It looks similar to other period Hamer cases, with the exception of being brown and purple, but again I'm not an expert on these things.

Bob Mann?

Yes, the guitar was originally ordered by Bob Mann, which is who I purchased the guitar from. I would urge anyone to reach out to him with any questions that I may not be able to answer. For all I know I'm remembering the story of why Bob went with the clean boost wrong, but I'm nearly certain he mentioned Rick Neilson when told me about the experience of ordering the guitar. But hey, my memory sure isn't what it used to be!

I included as many pictures as I could in the Reverb ad, because I understand the trepidation of buying a unique item like a guitar online. As much as I'd like to just put it on craigslist, the current environment has me rather hesitant. I'll be checking in on this post from time to time in the near future, or please feel free to PM me with any additional questions or comments. It's simply time for me to part with this beautiful instrument.

I understand the travesty of not playing this wonderful guitar. My only excuse is that I started playing acoustic around the same time I bought this Sunburst and never looked back. It's all boom-chuck these days. If anyone here is interested in the guitar, I'd be more than happy to work something out. I'm certainly not married to a Reverb sale considering the added costs. 

If you made it this far into my verbose post, I appreciate it. Again, feel free to shoot me any questions and I'll happily answer them for you.

I've been digging around my old posts, and found one from March 6, 2009 where I posted some photos of this guitar. Page 3 of the "Sunburst appreciation thread"… check it out here. How was that over 11 years ago? Yeesh!

Best regards,

Chris

And for those wondering, the pre-amp appears to be one that I used to use way back in the early eighties from Stars Guitars.  The toggle is the same and the bottom side is identical.  I always used it for just a small volume increase, when needed.

Archived