Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any Experience With 6n14n (Russian EL-84)

I ran across this video of Mike Zaite (Dr. Z) waxing on about the virtues of a Soviet-made EL-84 (6BQ5) dubbed the 6n14n.

Supposedly the 6n14n is more robust and provides superior tone in all regards and has been standard in Dr. Z amps for some time.

I have tried expensive-ish EL-84s and run-of-the-mill EL-84s and have so far (in my Reeves Custom 12 PS, anyway) found no discernible difference in tone (richness, breakup, creaminess, insert TGP descriptive adjective).  The JJ's I've typically settled on have lasted just fine, sound just fine, etc., and are available in matched pairs for $15 - $20.  A matched pair of the 6n14ns run a bit more than double.

My question is: hype or real deal, absolutely discernible improvement over a run-of-the-mill EL84?

The ones I've used in my Mesa Subway Rocket haven't lasted near as well as the OEM tubes. Now that was 10 years ago, maybe they are built tougher now(?). Or maybe the amp is just hell on tubes.

3 hours ago, DaveH said:

The ones I've used in my Mesa Subway Rocket haven't lasted near as well as the OEM tubes. Now that was 10 years ago, maybe they are built tougher now(?). Or maybe the amp is just hell on tubes.

Factory bias settings on many EL84 Mesas seem to be incredibly high/hot. More than once, I've had a friend or acquaintance with a Boogie EL84 circuit (specifically .22 Caliber/Studio 22, F-30, and Blue Angel) complain about having it serviced regularly and buying their tubes from Mesa only to give up and sell it after what seemed to be continuous premature tube failure.  I've noticed that some techs who do repair demos online recommend adjusting Mesa's factory bias in order for the amp's power section to run "cooler".  Whether such a mod would ruin the amp's mojo, I don't know. I do know that my ancient MusicMan HD130-212 runs its 6CA7s at a relatively high plate voltage; and this is why I don't gig that amp. Even though it an incredible high-headroom clean tone, I'm not fond of lugging that 90 lb monster in and out of small clubs, nor am I interested in periodically replacing matched quads of EL34/6CA7s and/or doing a bias mod on such an old amp.

I’ve used them, they’re a nice sounding tube! Compared to a real good set of vintage tubes they hold their own. Cheaper and you can put a lot of hours on them. They’re gonna be as rare as all the great tubes in a couple years. Stock up!!

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Factory bias settings on many EL84 Mesas seem to be incredibly high/hot. More than once, I've had a friend or acquaintance with a Boogie EL84 circuit (specifically .22 Caliber/Studio 22, F-30, and Blue Angel) complain about having it serviced regularly and buying their tubes from Mesa only to give up and sell it after what seemed to be continuous premature tube failure.  I've noticed that some techs who do repair demos online recommend adjusting Mesa's factory bias in order for the amp's power section to run "cooler".  Whether such a mod would ruin the amp's mojo, I don't know. I do know that my ancient MusicMan HD130-212 runs its 6CA7s at a relatively high plate voltage; and this is why I don't gig that amp. Even though it an incredible high-headroom clean tone, I'm not fond of lugging that 90 lb monster in and out of small clubs, nor am I interested in periodically replacing matched quads of EL34/6CA7s and/or doing a bias mod on such an old amp.

This is why all my amps are cathode bias, and has been for at least the last several years; besides, since I only play at home nowadays (even before The Pandemic), I don't need the extra firepower from a fixed bias amp anymore.

Archived