Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Allman Bros. Band - the lost years

all neck pickup from both guitarists.  That Southbound at at ~27m has some great looks at Dickie's goldtop.  And what about those outside lines Dangerous Dan Toler is pulling out!?

Not to mention a blazing keytar solo from Mike Lawler. 😄

Never saw this lineup live (I wasn't going to shows without my parents until the Warren-Allen years), and never heard much about them, so thanks for posting this!

I also noted the neck pickup being used. Live at Fillmore East sounded like the bridge pickup, did anyone see footage that would show it? That album is one of the watershed moments for me regarding tone, both Duane and Dickie.

27 minutes ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

I also noted the neck pickup being used. Live at Fillmore East sounded like the bridge pickup, did anyone see footage that would show it? That album is one of the watershed moments for me regarding tone, both Duane and Dickie.

One thing to consider is that this is video of a live show, but wasn't being recorded for an album release, whereas the Fillmore shows were intended to be used as an album, so mixing and tone concerns - including pickup selection - may have been more deliberate, while they only had to sound good to the audience (live mix vs record mix) in this video. They listened to each Fillmore set after the show to see what was and wasn't usable, and to make changes the next night to try to capture it better. "Neck pup too muddy" could well have been one of those notes, given the limitations of capturing a 2-lead guitar, 2-drummer band live with a limited number of tracks in a mobile studio in 1971.

Or maybe this lineup sounded better with neck pups while D&D could interplay with a wider pallette... complementary tones are different on stage than in a studio, and you also have to find a new mix any time you change a player. My money's on the different lineup creating different dynamics and roles. After all, Duane wasn't competing with a keytar or synth in addition to the organ for space in the mix!

On 6/7/2020 at 11:00 PM, Jakeboy said:

Dickey Betts was at the top of his game in this video. He just killed it!

Yeah he was playing at a really high level in this era.  He's got the clenched jaw to prove it, too! 😄

Archived