Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Throwback Thursday (catch and release)

To celebrate Throwback Thursday, here's the world's ugliest Hamer Cruisebass in regurgitated dandilion loving applied by spray can (and no, I am not the one who did this lol).  Crusty strings, slightly corroded bridge, but it plays and sounds fine.  I bought at least a decade back to repaint and never bothered, so now it can be your project.  Light at 8 lbs 7 oz and everything works.

Cruise1.png

Cruise3.png

Cruise4.png

I have no idea what that paint is hiding, but I can't see or feel any breaks or repairs.  For that reason, this would be an in-person sale only (I'm in East Hartford, CT) so you can check it out and make up your mind if it's worth $350 with a new Fender gig bag.  Totally playable/usable as is (best played in a dark room so you can't see the ugliness of the paint).  Email me at [email protected] with any questions.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovepedal Pickle Vibe in the correct color - like new with original box and paperwork.  I think I'm more in love with the concept of Univibes rather than the sound (kinda like me and 7 string guitars lol).  $85 shipped USPS continential US only please.

Gerkin.png

Just curious, with the early headstock logo, wouldn't it have had a pickguard?  Not that it matters, I've got a '85 Cruisebass and it's missing it's pickguard, and I've seen other early-mid '80's Cruisebasses missing theirs, too.  GLWTS!

Damn I’d love to have that Cruisebass refinned. I love my 1997 but something extra cool about the original.

Oh, the Lovepedal PickleVibe is awesome. It has a phasey swirl to the vibe That is just great. I just recorded a new song with it. I don’t use it much but I like it so much I sold the super tweakable  Lovepedal 5 knob Vibronaut Because this one knob wonder does all I need a Vibe to do. 
GLWTS on both.

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

Just curious, with the early headstock logo, wouldn't it have had a pickguard?  Not that it matters, I've got a '85 Cruisebass and it's missing it's pickguard, and I've seen other early-mid '80's Cruisebasses missing theirs, too.  GLWTS!

Didn't the pickguard go away in '86?

20180924_120245-jpg.3159844UnUg1NQ.jpg

the local visit has fallen through and the bass is available.

There are two reasons I really want to keep this local - I can't find any evidence of damage but I really want a buyer to examine it closely before purchasing in case there's something I missed, and since I only have a gig bag for shipping I'm expecting that gig bag+angled headstock+angry UPS workers = broken headstock. FWIW, these old Cruisebasses have a fat sound much like a Blitzbass minus the pointy edges that knock everything off the desk when you turn around lol.

9 hours ago, velorush said:

Didn't the pickguard go away in '86?

20180924_120245-jpg.3159844UnUg1NQ.jpg

Mine's an 86, no pickguard. Mine is black but your white is cool in that it highlights the body contours/shape better. 

12 hours ago, ZR said:

Mine's an 86, no pickguard. Mine is black but your white is cool in that it highlights the body contours/shape better. 

Oh no, definitely not mine - interwebs photos (top photo that isn’t showing for some reason was another ‘86 in CAR). Only cruise I’ve ever owned was the Ferrari red one in my avatar. It was an ‘82 - pickguard, no “Hamer” on the bridge.

From the shape of the headstock, I guess it probably originally had a pick-guard. With the later headstock shape, they usually didn't.

The paint is hiding the screw-holes, I think.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

From the shape of the headstock, I guess it probably originally had a pick-guard. With the later headstock shape, they usually didn't.

The paint is hiding the screw-holes, I think.

I got curious and found this:

Edit: no additional clarity offered by this. Are those later logos on Sting and Peter F's CBs in this 82-83 promo?

83promo4.jpg.5443f07e509c63c121f4e29de97ec089.jpg

4 hours ago, velorush said:

Oh no, definitely not mine - interwebs photos (top photo that isn’t showing for some reason was another ‘86 in CAR). Only cruise I’ve ever owned was the Ferrari red one in my avatar. It was an ‘82 - pickguard, no “Hamer” on the bridge.

That  ice pearl(?) Cruise in the pic is among us... Belongs to my friend here in Phoenix.  Great bass!

tentatively have a friend stopping by to check out the bass in the first half of the week.

If I were a betting man, I would wager that Andrew is correct.  Hopefully the next owner will have it refinned and get it back out there playing.  It's been sitting on a stand in the basement for at least 3 years and was still in tune when I picked it up lol.  

the ugly duckling bass has moved on to a better home lol (thanks Rodi for the enabling of his friend).  Bringing another one into the Hamer club.

No love for the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe? Sorry just had to say that lol...

On 6/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, stonge said:

To celebrate Throwback Thursday, here's the world's ugliest Hamer Cruisebass in regurgitated dandilion loving applied by spray can...

Comedy gold!  Potential puns unintended. 

• 5 months later...

knowing Hamer it's likely a pretty decent chunk of mahogany - even if it had been originally opaque they seemed to use nice looking materials.  I've seen a few stripped Hamers that would have been perfectly fine without their original paint jobs.

Glad to hear someone's getting around to reworking that one.  It did sound really good.

Archived