Hamer Fan Club Message Center

CAN I HAVE IT BACK?...........Memories of Guitars

66 Gibson ES 335 TDC  purchased new and gigged all through high school and 1st year college. Sold with my 66 Pro Reverb! Only guitar and amp I have ever regretted selling. Tried another 335 but it just wasn't the same!

arniez

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Not much of a story, really. 
Somewhere around 2002/2003 Gene and company built about a few '59 Burst replicas on the down low. they're often referred to as "Keeblers," since Gene was elf-sized.

This guitar was light, beautiful, and it played as you would dream your Les Paul would play, so of course I would sell it to fund something else.

BURSTREPLICA8.JPG

DSCN8255.JPG

keeb2.jpg

Such a beautiful guitar that "BURST"....................I did not know Gene even did such a thing.That 59 Strat that looks amazing as well.VERY cool guitars,those and all the rest.

22 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

...I valued form over function; now, it's the other way around.

>This<.  I'm much happier nowadays playing my Partscasters, which probably don't have much value beyond utility to anyone else.  Years ago, collecting gear was fun at first, but it gradually turned into a less-than-enjoyable PITA.  Now, my 'collectible' gear is gone, and so's the corresponding PITA.

25 minutes ago, crunchee said:

>This<.  I'm much happier nowadays playing my Partscasters, which probably don't have much value beyond utility to anyone else.  Years ago, collecting gear was fun at first, but it gradually turned into a less-than-enjoyable PITA.  Now, my 'collectible' gear is gone, and so's the corresponding PITA.

Along those lines, one of the few I regret getting shed of was the black Strat in this photo, waxed on in these pages as the "cold dead fingers" Strat:

KawSWFL.jpg

It was a N8 Roadhouse Strat I bought off eBay in essentially unplayed, unmodified condition and sounded better than any Strat I've ever played or owned - just one of those serendipitous combinations of various components that worked spectacularly.  Alas, the "modern C" neck began to cause cramps as I aged.  Had I known what I know now about replacement necks I'd likely still have it.

The green '62 Hot Rod Reissue in the photo was my attempt at finding its replacement - sounded lifeless.  I couldn't get shed of it fast enough (after several sets of pickups trying to make it work).  Played great, sounded uninspiring.

Then there's the big one.  I've told the story of happening upon the late 60's/early 70's (my recollection is the "b" and "o" were connected in the "Gibson" logo on the headstock, so we'll go with early 70's) ES-355.  Like this one, only non-Varitone, non-stereo, chrome hardware and professionally refinished in a tasteful metallic red. 

mscaseB.jpg

The guitar was absolutely alive.  The friend that bought it from me still owns it - it resides under his bed.

Wish I had a picture. An early ‘60s SG with the engraved harp vibrola and humbuckers. This was the mid 70’s. A seminary student was selling it at the local flea market. Got it for $165 then bought a case. They were not so popular then as they did not stay in tune well. I traded for a 50W Marshall head (early PCB version) and Big “M” 4x12 cab. A great trade at the time.

Have seen asking prices for the same model SG over $10K, the Marshall is maybe worth $2K or a bit more.  Still have the Marshall.  

Like this one

0D0C3B60-76A5-4984-999D-226B01E9A00B.jpeg

#1 on the "never shoulda sold it" list is the black 1983-ish Schecter.  The goldtop partscaster I'm playing these days is a pale imitation.

mBJvQUr.jpg

5IRKr2O.jpg

Just to be contrary, I'll list as #2 on that list, the Norlin-era goldtop LP.  Norlin gets a bad rap, but for a "Tele guy at heart" like me, it was a good Les Paul.  Lighter than most in the boat-anchor '70s and with a maple neck.  Traded it in when I bought Dean V (see other thread).

e01CVzJ.jpg

As long as we're wishing for the impossible, I'd like to have that much-abused Melody Maker back, too. That guitar was a beast. 

The closest I've EVER gotten to having a major regret over selling a guitar was back in '84.

I was lucky enough to have scored my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58 Reissue Prototype LP Standard from one of the guys

that would hang around our band. I bought it off of him for $500, which was A LOT of money for me at the time.

I took it a week later to a local respected guitar shop to have it looked over and give it some TLC.

The guitar tech call me to tell me my guitar was ready.

He told me he really loved the guitar and asked If I wanted to trade it for a complete sound system and 3 Mighty Mite Partscasters.

Well I was VERY excited about trading 1 guitar for 3 guitars and a sound system,but I told him I had to sleep on it and I'd let him know the next day.

I got home and called my band and told them I was going to own some killer gear pretty soon.

Well the guitar tech called me later that night and offered me an early 80's Fender Strat and Tele on top of the 3 Mighty Mite guitars and the sound system.

I wasn't very educated on guitars back in '84, but I knew enough to know that he was offering TOO much gear for my guitar.

I figured it must be something very valuable and I had to hold on to it.

I told him I wasn't going to trade or sell the guitar.

He still hounded me for another year or so and finally gave up.

Here's the one that almost got away.

12225332516_1d37a19628_b.jpg

12224773825_11d9bb1f68_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Texsunburst59 said:

The closest I've EVER gotten to having a major regret over selling a guitar was back in '84.

I was lucky enough to have scored my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58 Reissue Prototype LP Standard from one of the guys

that would hang around our band. I bought it off of him for $500, which was A LOT of money for me at the time.

I took it a week later to a local respected guitar shop to have it looked over and give it some TLC.

He told me he really loved the guitar and asked If I wanted to trade it for a complete sound system and 3 Mighty Mite Partscasters.

Well I was VERY excited about trading 1 guitar for 3 guitars and a sound system,but I told him I had to sleep on it and I'd let him know the next day.

I got home and called my band and told them I was going to own some killer gear pretty soon.

Well the guitar tech called me later that night and offered me an early 80's Fender Strat and Tele on top of the 3 Mighty Mite guitars and the sound system.

I wasn't very educated on guitars back in '84, but I knew enough to know that he was offering TOO much gear for my guitar.

He made the classic rookie mistake - overplayed his hand!

7 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Here's the one that almost got away.

12225332516_1d37a19628_b.jpg

12224773825_11d9bb1f68_b.jpg

You had the good sense to keep it Skip and that sir IS a marvelous guitar indeed!

5 hours ago, cmatthes said:

He made the classic rookie mistake - overplayed his hand!

Yes sir!!

I'm pretty sure if he hadn't called me to offer the Fender Strat and Tele, I would have done the trade.

Everything about the trade seemed too hurried and desperate on his part.

I'm VERY happy he " Overplayed his Hand".  😀

3 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

You had the good sense to keep it Skip and that sir IS a marvelous guitar indeed!

Thanks Gary.

That was a crazy story about that Gibson LP.

That guitar was most likely a lifer that you would have never ever sold.

It's crazy how sometimes we made good decisions when we were young men, and later in life we realize it was the right one, and we're so grateful we did.

In the case of your Goldtop, everything was out of your control, and there wasn't any decision you could have made to change the outcome at the time.

A lot of you guys here have had some AMAZING guitars go through your hands, and at least were able to experience owning and playing them.

Archived