Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why the Flying V is the best guitar shape :-P

The Flying V :

1- Can be placed against a wall —no stand required.

2- Offers unparalleled access to the higher frets.

3- Can be played while sitting —so please stop that BS you cannot play it sit; just learn to place it properly, between your legs! 😜

4- No, it’s not specific to heavy metal, jeez! It was actually invented in 1958. Did you know there was no heavy metal back then? 😜

EFB314B9-498B-49BA-B0A5-D0EF55847139.jpeg

Pretty much nailed it!

1 minute ago, cmatthes said:

Pretty much nailed it!

I will share this on my FB wall 

38 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I need one. Now if only Gibson would cooperate and make one in blue or something.  Still.. so tempting:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSVS00CWCH--gibson-70s-flying-v-classic-white

I have a new one I might want to sell. It costed me 2470 CND —just saw the bill. At the current exchange rate, that’s 1845 USD. It’s a great one, but I just own too many guitars. This model, DSVR16NAGH3, had a name —“limited edition“ or something like that. This is a picture I just took of it.

4BB628ED-A627-4CC0-9595-49DB8081B405.jpeg

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I need one. Now if only Gibson would cooperate and make one in blue or something.  Still.. so tempting:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSVS00CWCH--gibson-70s-flying-v-classic-white

You could always do what I did...I sent my Cherry Red V to Stike for some “color correction”.  I'd always wanted one like the two below, and he finally helped me get the one I always pictured in my head.

Gibson Vee 102013.jpg

67_Blue_V_B-1.jpg

My 67 V DC RnR Marathon.jpg

I thought about that... but on the other hand, if I want a guitar to play non-stop early Metallica riffs, an antique white flying V is pretty much the ultimate guitar...  Even though Hetfield's guitar wasn't a real Gibson.

Also... that classic white color is growing on me rapidly.  hrrrrmmmmmm. I do already have plenty of blue guitars. I could always get it refinished later if I want.

Bonus Flying V feature: 

It can firmly stay on your leg while soloing, so it’s very stable to shred, wail, make funny faces... and so on. 😜

3DDBD50C-E340-4E5E-9ED5-347B80A0B365.jpeg

Many thanks @zorrow
Actually, I wasn‘t aware about all these advantages. If I would have known. My Standards and Explorers fall off the wall all the time. I have difficulties to access the higher frets. I can’t connect them with my legs playing sitting. And, eventually, there is no reason to make funny faces while playing. Only one thing in common seems, they are not only made for shredding. Invented in ‘58 too. As I heard, by the same person.

I’m damn riding the wrong horse. B) 

Gibson Vee 102013.jpg

Unfortunately, this features one of the worst trem systems ever devised.

3 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

The one that got away...1980 Gibson V2. Sounded thin, but looked awesome and played great. I let it go for way too cheap. 

V2.JPG

Weird animal. I always felt curious about those, but never pulled the trigger. BTW, you could’ve rewound those pups if you wanted more muscle. 

5 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

The one that got away...1980 Gibson V2. Sounded thin, but looked awesome and played great. I let it go for way too cheap. 

V2.JPG

Used to love the V2 hanging at my local shop, and Klezmetal approved

11 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Gibson Vee 102013.jpg

Unfortunately, this features one of the worst trem systems ever devised.

Worked well enough for the first six or so Judas Priest records, which begs the question:

What is a vibrola, virbrato and tremolo? 

17 hours ago, RobB said:

That’s some pretty luxe dressing room accommodations in the background. Classy!

That was for the HEADLINER!  We had to use the stream behind the Jefferson Memorial...

2 hours ago, RobB said:

Worked well enough for the first six or so Judas Priest records, which begs the question:

What is a vibrola, virbrato and tremolo? 

Dunno, don't care. Had one on a Melody Maker SG and the guitar was out of tune more than it was in. Granted, I didn't have a guitar tech or the luxury of an engineer at the controls to stop tape and re-take. But I digress. The bridge system sucks.

3 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Dunno, don't care. Had one on a Melody Maker SG and the guitar was out of tune more than it was in. Granted, I didn't have a guitar tech or the luxury of an engineer at the controls to stop tape and re-take. But I digress. The bridge system sucks.

Well, okay. Dang.

Archived