Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Re-necK?

Hypothetical question: Say you bought a relatively rare guitar with a neck that wasn't to your liking and already had a headstock repair. Would it be a bad thing to re-neck it with something that more fit your style/shape/size?

Relatively rare?  Is it still collected by someone out there?  It is your guitar to alter or butcher. 

Assuming the neck is not held in by screws there is a big cost in having a set-neck re-necked.  For that money, just find another guitar.  You can sell a guitar with a headstock repair.  Other than Partscasters, you will get less interest in a Frankenaxe. 

You knew all that. 

Just throwing it out there for discussion. No, I haven't bought (or made) a mistake I'm trying to correct. B)  Just seeing what y'all think.

If it’s rare enough to command some money even with a headstock repair, and assuming it’s a bolt on, I would put a different neck on it to play but keep the original neck if I ever decided to sell it later...

6 hours ago, Travis said:

If it’s rare enough to command some money even with a headstock repair, and assuming it’s a bolt on, I would put a different neck on it to play but keep the original neck if I ever decided to sell it later...

This.

7 hours ago, cynic said:

Not to hijack but I gotta know...Has there ever been a bolt on with a headstock repair?

I've seen a few bolt-on Fender necks with a crack/repair coming out of the low E tuner post routing.  IIRC, they were all pre-CBS vintage, though.

If it's bolt on, why the hell not? Save the old one for if/when you wanna sell it off. I re-necked 2 Cali's and was very satisfied with the results. So much so that I sold both of them years later.🤣

But seriously, they were sold off for reasons unrelated to how the necks played and I ended up getting pretty close to what I initially paid for the guitars and replacement necks.

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_0922.jpeg

I was thinking more set-necks, because well....bolt-necks are bolt-necks for that purpose - to make neck swaps easy.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:28 PM, kizanski said:

What did you do??

I broke the neck off that old '60 ES-330 and glued in an Epiphone unit I found in the pile. It's bitchin'.

The idea (for the original question) came from the post about the black 4-digit Standard - with a Sustain Block - for sale somewhere. If not for the tiny neck, it would be the perfect 4-digit. And if  - again this is all hypothetical - it were to have had a headstock repair at some point in its life, would it be a bad thing to just re-neck it with something more suitable. Sure, it kills the value, but the hit has already been taken with the headstock break/repair anyways.  I was actually thinking about buying it and breaking the neck so i could have it replaced...:rolleyes: OK so I'm bored.....

You'd be better off sending one of your stash of sustain blocks (you did save one or two, right?) to someone like Shane at H.E.L. guitars for a scratch build.  I've never commissioned more than some finish and plastics work from him but I bet he comes up well shy of the $5k being asked for that 4-digit.

Or, you could buy my 4 digit and put a sustain block on it.

image.png

Archived