Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just how sick are some of you? How many guitars/basses do you own?

ZR

How many guitars/basses do you own? Doesn't matter what brand etc. just spill the beans! No prizes will be awarded but I'm not promising that there won't be any interventions. Of course, that would only be for those that didn't have enough!😁

Here's mine;

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way more guitars here than talent.  North of two dozen at this point.  I have a very hard time parting with things, sickness is probably an accurate description.

I think I'm up to 16 now. Perhaps 15 more than I need to play at one time, according to some observers. Alas, guitars are like hand tools; you wouldn't get good results using a #2 Phillips screwdriver when the fastener you're working on has a #0 Robertson head.

I honestly couldn’t tell you.  I don’t count them.

Gives me plausible deniability on a spousal level.  

28 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Wise strategy, Grasshopper.

My bride doesn't give me grief about buying another guitar, but I always bore her with excruciating minutiae about what makes a new acquisition different from the rest.  That's usually enough to get her to change the subject. I even told her once (I think it was when I bought Unfun's '93 Studio) that the new guitar was "one louder."

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Wise strategy, Grasshopper.

My bride doesn't give me grief about buying another guitar, but I always bore her with excruciating minutiae about what makes a new acquisition different from the rest.  That's usually enough to get her to change the subject. I even told her once (I think it was when I bought Unfun's '93 Studio) that that the new guitar was "one louder."

spacer.png

Never ever point to the 6 jewelry boxes or the 2 walk-in bedroom closet's to try justifying getting another guitar it never ends well.😆  

8 but 2 are un-built partscasters (Warmoth necks / Japanese Fender bodies) and 1 is an old 'beater' acoustic I use for practice at home when learning new stuff for church...

Down to 4 & 1/2 (project that just needs a neck to be complete). Most I’ve had at any one time was 14...

4 guitars, 4 basses, a mandolin, banjo, and ukelele. I used to play mandolin a lot, but I've never really bonded with the banjo or uke. Probably because they were free and the music didn't come as naturally to me as the mandolin.

I really miss a couple of basses, that I consigned when the band broke up: a thunderous G&L ASAT fretless semihollow with massive MFD humbuckers, ebony fingerboard with up charge fretlines, orange translucent finish over figured ash, contrasting natural wood binding, and matching headstock,:

image.png   image.png

...  plus an orange Gretsch Electromatic G5123 hollowbody bass with Thunder'tron pickups that sang like a basso profundo songbird.
I really miss that one. It had a bounce to its attack, and really helped drive the music. It was a 32' scale, which made string-to-string tone quality very consistent.

It was a limited edition arrangement between Gretsch and GC (only one unit per store) and listed at $899, but I got it during a Father's Day sale at GC for $560. Here's one on Reverb for $1,269.64 + $177.40 shipping (sigh):

b8roheuqmlzsfnwbiiov.jpg

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

I honestly couldn’t tell you.  I don’t count them.

Exactly...I stopped counting decades ago... there is a specific number my wife is under the impression which I am the caretaker of. 

In code, my wife is from the Northeast so in traveling North of I-40 but no longer north of Maryland Route 100.  

Did some culling of the Great Southwest Korina Forest a few years back.  Some fine specimens found some new homes.

"Just how sick are some of you?"  Well some would consider at one point I was gravely ill. Some will still say that.

I do like Joe Bonamassa's coined phrase "Guitar Safari".  I miss the hunt and cracking cases. 

Hamerica

I haven't counted in a long time, but let's see:

2 Newports
3 B-Ways (1 technically still for sale, but my wife stopped asking about it, so...)
1 Variax
1 Steinberger
1 Larrivee (acoustic)
1 Squier (bass)

So I guess that's 9. Not counting my keyboard and violin.

37  -  Electrics

5     - Electric Basses

7     - Acoustics

3    -  Classical

1    -  Mandolin

Definitely due for another big purge.

All of mine (~30, I'm a bit ashamed to admit) are cheaper than one boat.  And around here there are a lot of boats, and boats are a notoriously bad investment.  Plus, I can't use a boat (around here) in the winter.    

Oh, God.  It's in the eighties now I think.  My storage facility (not a U-Haul joint) is north of $350 a month now.  I don't know how much the insurance bill with Heritage is, but I do know they are sick of my revisions.

Regardless of the number, I could always recall each one up until about five years ago.  Since that time I've gone from purge to splurge a half dozen times and the revolving door has caused me to completely lose track.  Last count was mid 60s but I can only list about 30 from memory anymore.  I really want to get to 20 or less but it's starting to remind me of how many nicotine patches I went through over ten years of "quitting".

I honestly do not know. North of 50, safe to say... Some awesome, some average. I definitely don't do them justice, sorry to say.

Archived