Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just how sick are some of you? How many guitars/basses do you own?

ZR

Topped out at 97. Down to 16, all with "specialized" designations (custom-ordered and made to my specs, display instruments for lectures, couple of rarities). Total includes one Peavey utility guitar and one Peavey utility bass.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d guess somewhere north of 40 at one time... I’m sitting somewhere in the teens now. 
I had 20 some amps but now I’m down to 10 or so. Plus a drum set, keyboards, banjo’s, mandolins, and a harp from the 1800’s. 
I just like things with strings on them...

1 electric bass

2 acoustic guitars, one 6-string and one 12-string

18 electric guitars

I could sell the acoustic 12-string and wouldn't miss it, and I'd like to get the electrics down to <10 but I don't think that will ever happen unless I'm in dire financial straits.

Sometimes I think it might be best to just have one instrument to really bond with but then I rationalize the others I have as filling a specific niche.

So I have a 6 string acoustic cedar top and one in spruce, a 12 string acoustic, a classical guitar made in Sweden.

A Hamer Cruisebass, a Fretlight guitar with LEDs in the fretboard that light up chords, inversions, scales etc according to dials set on the guitar. It's a strat like guitar so fills that purpose but I would definitely want a better strat type instrument eventually. I mainly got it to illustrate things to guitar students I had at the time. My first electric is a Japanese LP copy from the 70s, bolt on neck and many multi-piece body, it's OK but mainly have it for sentimental value. It does have the characteristic LP sound still but I shouldn't have traded away my Gibson LP classic, and hope to get one again one day.

My Chap Custom covers the super strat territory in spades and my USA Duotone, black with cream binding and Bartolini pickups is a great, versatile all arounder. And, the one I mainly play the most nowadays is a PRS ish guitar hand made by Bruce Winger. I like it because it's a lot shorter distance from the back of the tailpiece to the end of the body. Much shorter than on a PRS which to me is almost too long. This makes it especially good for playing in the tighter confines of my desktop area without banging it into everything. The extra droopy headstock on the chap custom likes to get in the way and hit the printer or the desk! 

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

But.... I really could use a strat and LP for sure, but then I don't have anything representing a tele, hollow body, headless fan fret guitar... man, where does it end?! 😃

Counting anything stringed, I’m at eleven I think.

4 hours ago, ZR said:

...confines of my desktop area without banging it into everything. The extra droopy headstock on the chap custom likes to get in the way...

Yeah, actually both the Kiesel and the Mitchell are great for playing in a computer chair/recliner/bed.

Not sure.  I quit counting a few years ago.  I believe there was around 80 guitars then.  There’s more now.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:57 AM, The Shark said:

I do know they are sick of my revisions.

Now, who is sick now?

Currently, I have one Fender Tele, one Fender 'parts' Tele, and three Tele-based Partscasters for my 'core' electric guitars (i.e., the ones I reach for most often).  They all have Ash bodies and all-Maple necks with traditional-style 3-saddle bridges, range roughly in weight from 6 3/4 lbs to 8 1/4 lbs, have various pickups and components, and each one sounds a little different from each other.  My 'favorite' one at that moment depends on what my day's been like when I take it out of the case.  I like Teles, but I like a little variety with 'em, too.

In basses, I have a stripped '06 Fender MIM Mike Dirnt P-bass, a mutt fretless MIM Fender Jazz Bass (body is a 'Road Worn' 60's Jazz Bass with a fretless Fender neck), and a '85 Hamer Cruisebass in Trans Cherry.  Acoustics are two early '80's Ovation Balladeer Model 1111s (the acoustic no-pickup model).

On 6/8/2020 at 3:53 PM, a.bandini said:

All of mine (~30, I'm a bit ashamed to admit) are cheaper than one boat.  And around here there are a lot of boats, and boats are a notoriously bad investment.  Plus, I can't use a boat (around here) in the winter.    

I heard the definition of a boat from a former owner: A hole in the water into which you pour money.

Now is the most I have owned.  I tend to acquire and keep.  

Electric - 3 guitars, 1 bass

Acoustic - 5 guitars

Amps - 4 that work, 2 that need work

1 Hammond B3 that mostly works.

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I heard the definition of a boat from a former owner: A hole in the water in which you pour money.

The two best days in a boat owner's life:

The day you buy it.

The day you sell it.

Always liked that synopsis!

6 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

The two best days in a boat owner's life:

The day you buy it.

The day you sell it.

Always liked that synopsis!

For guitars - 

Two best days are the day you buy it and the day you buy the next one.  And so forth

22. Like the number of frets I can live with. 😜

Archived