Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just how sick are some of you? How many guitars/basses do you own?

ZR

14 Hamer's. No Floyd or tremolo equipped shredders.
1 Gibson Les Paul Classic 1991
1 Yamaha BB400 S bass from around 1980
1 Alvarez Gibson Dove copy from the early 1970's.
1 Levin Aristocrat mandolin from the mid 1940's
2 Marshalls from 1973
Currently 2 Marshall 4x12 cabs, one for sale
2 Fender Rivera era amps from the early 1980's

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a cheap sailboat for years.  Didn’t cost much money, but did cost a lot of time.  But oh how glorious to be sailing.  Same with my guitars.  Cheap but fun.

I've had a few (very cheap) sailboats, too, Mathman.  They were OK.  

I've found windsurfing to be the cheapest, and most fun time I've ever spent on the water, and I've spent A LOT of time (literally many years) on the water.  

The only problem with windsurfing is I can't take anyone with me.   

I guess it is analogous to guitars.  No one wants to hear me play, either.  

Can't say I blame them, but I have fun.  

42 minutes ago, a.bandini said:

I've had a few (very cheap) sailboats, too, Mathman.  They were OK.  

I've found windsurfing to be the cheapest, and most fun time I've ever spent on the water, and I've spent A LOT of time (literally many years) on the water.  

The only problem with windsurfing is I can't take anyone with me.   

I guess it is analogous to guitars.  No one wants to hear me play, either.  

Can't say I blame them, but I have fun.  

Had windsurfers also.  Great fun!

9 hours ago, mathman said:

Had windsurfers also.  Great fun!

Windsurfing here too, from the first day I could hold the sail into the 20s when serious life took me over. It started with heavy planks and became real fun with the fun boards conquering the world from Hawaii. There was only one world champion Robby Nash. 

Boat stands for break out another thousand, I quit cold turkey, but guitars are just a savings account right? 22 I think, just picked up a custom studio with ebony board, I have a list I run through to justify it, price, looks, condition, I need a hotline to call to tell me NOOOO.

In the past 4 years I have owned 27 guitars.

I currently own 9. You might say I like to buy them and try them and keep the ones. I like. I have One Hamer USA, and One Hamer Slammer Series Currently.

Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Actually no talent.

But I like it.

At this moment I am at 7:

- 1979 Hamer Sunburst Honey

- 1986 Ibanez GB-10 Brown sunburst (or jazzburst?)

- 2004 Fender CS 50th Anniversary '54 Stratocaster MB Two-tone sunburst

- 2005 Fender CS '59 Esquire Vintage blonde

- 2007 Hamer Talladega Aztec gold (The "Irma" guitar)

- Crafter JE24 Natural

- Tanglewood TW28 dlx 12-string Natural

- And a Fender Ukulele!

Gabe 😀

26 minutes ago, Gabe said:

- 2007 Hamer Talladega Aztec gold (The "Irma" guitar)

Gabe 😀

pics and info on the “Irma” designation, please...

2 hours ago, Travis said:

pics and info on the “Irma” designation, please...

IMG_2315.jpeg

This the "Irma" guitar, 2007 Talladega Aztec Gold, with a bound neck.

It has Kinman P-90 Buckers.

The guitar is called "Irma"as I bought it in the beginning of September 2017 from ArnieZ.

It was shipped and a few days later hurricane Irma hit our paradise island (Sint Maarten) very hard.

I was not sure where the guitar was at that moment, there was no electricity, no water, no internet.

Later I could follow the "track and trace" and see that it went back and forth between Florida and Puerto Rico (which had been hit really hard by hurricane Maria right after Irma).

Then a month later, while the "track and trace" was still bouncing around, the guitar was delivered to me, fully intact and beautiful.

So I am a happy man, and this is how the guitar got its name.

Gabe 😀

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

IMG_2315.jpeg

This the "Irma" guitar, 2007 Talladega Aztec Gold, with a bound neck.

It has Kinman P-90 Buckers.

The guitar is called "Irma"as I bought it in the beginning of September 2017 from ArnieZ.

It was shipped and a few days later hurricane Irma hit our paradise island (Sint Maarten) very hard.

I was not sure where the guitar was at that moment, there was no electricity, no water, no internet.

Later I could follow the "track and trace" and see that it went back and forth between Florida and Puerto Rico (which had been hit really hard by hurricane Maria right after Irma).

Then a month later, while the "track and trace" was still bouncing around, the guitar was delivered to me, fully intact and beautiful.

So I am a happy man, and this is how the guitar got its name.

Gabe 😀

That’s a fantastic story for a fantastic guitar. 

"Scuse this redundant image post of my father in my office (from the late '90s); I think I put it up a few years ago soon after he passed away. This time it's to validate the "one of each major style" collecting philosophy I had during the halcyon days. Of what can be seen, which instrument looks the most interesting to you?

Pop w S.D. Curlee-LO.jpg

On 6/21/2020 at 8:13 AM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Of what can be seen, which instrument looks the most interesting to you?

Since you asked, that top-bound Firebird has me curious.  What's the story?

^^^^Atsa '82 Firebird II, which was a "floor sweep" model that used up RD parts and circuitry. Body was contoured a bit more in a Firebird shape. Were made (in K-Zoo IIRC) for about a year and half;  I'd have to check the serial number but I don't own it anymore.  I've also seen 'em in a regular brown Gibson sunburst and natural. One source said a total of around 100 were made. IMO this model and other "floor sweep" instruments are definitive examples in the discussion/debate about whether something is collectible simply because it's rare or discontinued or assembled from leftover items from a model (the RD, in the case) that was a flop in the marketplace.

I have a great assortment of 11 electrics and 1 Cruise bass. After seeing pictures of my home studio and the guitar collection my team leader asked "how many of them can you play at the same time?" implying that I have too many. I made reference to his fancy set of golf clubs and asked why he didn't just use a pitching wedge for everything...

Well, I'm selling one next week (a refinished import Jackson Kelly that I never play), so I think I'm headed in the right direction....except this one just came off my workbench after two attempts at refinishing it in flip-flop blue/purple:  A '86 Kramer Pacer neck/Focus body mutt that I picked up for $100 back in 2016 when it sported a horrifically bad EVH white/black brushed on paint scheme. Underneath that awful globbed-on mess was yet another poor attempt at a refin with splattered Testor's model paints all over the body.  It looks much better now with the new hue, matching headstock, and Dimarzio Evolution humbucker. Gettin' my inner EVH on with this one!

20200622_184502.jpg

20200622_184444.jpg

Ironically, I'm about to have to sell at least one guitar off I think because I accidentally paid out of pocket for a guitar on reverb rather than putting it on PayPal Credit.  😂

I had an elaborate scheme going where I was paying off guitars before the promotional period with no interest was up, part of which meant occasionally buying a guitar I had enough money for in pocket on PP Credit and then immediately paying all that money toward my balance to pay off guitars whichever guitar was about to go off the six months same as cash deal while still generally paying off everything.  I forgot to check which account I was paying out of for the G&L and blew the whole thing up by paying out of the wrong stash.

TL;DR - I may actually have terminal GAS. 

Oh, and when the this bluesboy gets here, 14 guitars, including two acoustics and one bass. 

Too many.. I have a problem.  Some times I sell a real good guitar to buy a few  cheaper ones . Then a few months later I sell my  cheaper guitars to get a real nice one.. it doesn't make sense. I guess it all about the hunt..then when I gig out I use my les paul jr  & 91 hamer sunburst all the time ..go figure .

Rob

20190324_174937.jpg

Archived