Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just how sick are some of you? How many guitars/basses do you own?

ZR

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

down to six right now. I never really have more than 12 at a time; I don't have much enthusiasm for collecting for collecting's sake and if I'm not really connected with an instrument it gets sold on.

Eight at one stage; I was surprised to discover. Now down to two. 

Could quite contentedly drop to one now, since I picked up a Korina Special on here last year. With an always-on RC Boost set up to add a little bit of top end, it just does everything. 

No talent, too many (including 18 Hamers) and not enough.

I had to stop buying because I run out of storage space (small flat).. and I already regret passing on a couple of guitars because of that 😥

14 hours ago, ptm1diver said:

Too many to post, but these are some of my favorites.   

D00DA73B-F4D8-4C78-8701-BF2B1A63654B.jpeg

What's the story on the one with the yellow/black zulu finish?

6 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

What's the story on the one with the yellow/black zulu finish?

It’s a Daytona.   I happen to like them a lot, that is why I have 3 of them.  I even built a pair (strat and jazz bass) from the same block of Cocobolo.  See the 2 on the left in the picture.  

1EC9E076-FB05-4332-A11E-E5BCAC3588D5.jpeg

Too many.. I have a problem.  Some times I sell a real good guitar to buy a few  cheaper ones . Then a few months later I sell my  cheaper guitars to get a real nice one.. it doesn't make sense. I guess it all about the hunt..then when I gig out I use my les paul jr  & 91 hamer sunburst all the time ..go figure .

Rob

20190324_174954.jpg

1 hour ago, iownit4 said:

Too many.. I have a problem.  Some times I sell a real good guitar to buy a few  cheaper ones . Then a few months later I sell my  cheaper guitars to get a real nice one.. it doesn't make sense. I guess it all about the hunt..then when I gig out I use my les paul jr  & 91 hamer sunburst all the time ..go figure .

Rob

I think people have GAS wrong.  It's not about having guitars for most of us really as much as it is having a constantly rotating stock of stuff going in and out.  That's the real hobby - hunting down something that gets us excited again while trying to move on stuff we liked but isn't scratching the itch anymore.  I think the extent of that varies from person to person, but I think there's at least some of it in there for all of us.  

3 hours ago, iownit4 said:

Rob

20190324_174954.jpg

It clearly needs more amps here. B)

On 6/20/2020 at 11:44 PM, Gabe said:

Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Actually no talent.

There’s no need to have talent as long as it is fun and you enjoy yourself.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, iownit4 said:

Rob

20190324_174954.jpg

And I thought I was bad.   LOL.  You have me beat, hands down.  Nice collection.  

On 7/3/2020 at 12:58 AM, gorch said:

There’s no need to have talent as long as it is fun and you enjoy yourself.

^^^ The ethos of the rap "artists" everywhere! 

Hello I have 2 Hamer prototype 2"s 1 Hamer eclipse 12 string 2 Gibson SG's  A Gibson flying V and a Washburn D-10 acoustic Only 7 But i had 2 real nice guitars that i just sold like a dumbass.  I need more guitars though For my collection. 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:22 AM, iownit4 said:

Rob

20190324_174954.jpg

Just seeing it. I wonder what the sound is about of a bass drum through a cabinet.

I refuse to count. Shortly after discovering the 'net, it ratcheted up to about 100 when we were in Los Angeles. Eventually wound that down by about 2/3. Got hooked here and got reckless. Fooled myself by keeping a relative handful out in rotation. When I finally DID count, about 4 years ago, it was probably about 120. Maybe half of them Hamers. And way too many sitting in "the vault". If anyone has paid attention, some awfully nice instruments have moved along in the 4 years since.....I HAVE acquired some, but I have been trying to adhere to a "one in, three out" policy.

Very little I lust after these days. But I never say never.

I KNOW I am above the 35 or so I got down to 10 years ago. And it is a constant that there are always 8-10 I SHOULD cut loose. But I move slowly.

BTW, I do not forget the various dibs requests folks have made for several guitars, Hamer and otherwise. There are at least a dozen on that list. I am just not to the point where I want to part with them. MAYBE if/when those next 8 or 10 pass out the door.......

In theory, a couple folks from out of town will be visiting soon to check out a couple higher end things and that might convert a couple into a stack or two of Benjamins. Never count on it until it happens.....

One big reason why I have as many as I do is the fact that I'm too lazy to put myself through the hassle of trying to sell them. The vast majority of the guitars I've re-homed (no Hamers) have been through selling to Music-Go-Round. Convenience is often worth more to me than getting top dollar.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:18 AM, LucSulla said:

I think people have GAS wrong.  It's not about having guitars for most of us really as much as it is having a constantly rotating stock of stuff going in and out.  That's the real hobby - hunting down something that gets us excited again while trying to move on stuff we liked but isn't scratching the itch anymore.  I think the extent of that varies from person to person, but I think there's at least some of it in there for all of us.  

That is not how it works for me. I am kinda focused on getting a guitar just right. If I like the guitar then I might spend time finding the pickups for it that works best for me (sounds the best). Or if it's an older Hamer then it can take time to fully dial in the old Dimarzios. Or I might like the guitar but there is something in how it sounds and plays that is not fully right, so I have to leave it for a fret dressing or a set up. When I finally am 100% happy with how the instrument feels and plays then I hate to let it go. Then another Hamer pops up somewhere where I can lay my hands on it, so I buy that too telling myself I need to let one go. But I can not part with one of the old ones. I like 'em to much. So the pile has been building. 

I'm in Europe and as everyone knows Hamer's are not that easy to find here. I know that if I sell one I will most likely not find one like it again. So I tend to hold on to what I got.

2 Hamer's

2 Fender Am Strats

1 Alhambra Spanish Nylon Classic

1 Fender Am Jazz Bass

1 Ibanez 5 string Bass

Y'all know Jay?  He's got a lot of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JayLenosGarage

Thankfully, compared to cars, boats, and artwork, guitars are/can be relatively cheap. I'm somewhere in the 20s, up and down.  Mostly buy and hold.  Lots of genres covered.  I like to fine-tune things, get them running right.  I'm curious by nature and learn from it.  6-8 Hamers USA, Shishkov 96, and a smattering of evathang else.

Motorcycles would take (and have taken) a bit more of my egg money, but they fall into a similar category, fine-tuning and enjoying for 45 minutes a go. I simply lack garage space.  Grampa Toadroller has 7 or 8 projects going on at the moment, from a Concours 14 to two Yamaha Ventures with bad carbs acquired for the princely sum of, wait for it, $350.  Because he has garage space.  I did do a clutch-pack replace on my BMW K1200s this spring.  Feeling like a mechanic!

I'm shocked I only own one personal (the toadies have many) set of golf clubs, Mizuno MP, natch, when for the price of a Hamer Studio I could step it up a notch or two.  But that falls under the category of a serious technology-driven fitting pricing out at, oh, $500.  And then you gotta buy the clubs.

Archived