Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I Got The UPS Blues

was expecting delivery today of a 'new to me' guitar from DGS, the "Overview" section of the UPS Tracker says it's "In Transit", but I found this message yesterday evening when I clicked on the "Detailed View' feature on the UPS Tracking page:

"A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

No new news so far.  Looks like it left Hodgkins (the big UPS Hub in Chicago) yesterday at 4:01 PM, and arrived at Hodgkins at 4:31 PM (still yesterday), according to the "Detailed View".  Nothing since then.  At least the weather's good, for the time being.  Grrrr... <_<

I hate online updates that show odd things about delivery.  The US Postal Service will have what seems like blackouts in their tracking for a days, especially on certified letters.  I used to work for them, and certified letters are scanned every time they change hands in the Post Office. 

If your guitar was scheduled for delivery today we still have a lot of time left before the sun goes down and the driver goes home. 

The truck left at 4:01 and came back half an hour later because it broke down...

Have you guys used the UPS map tracking where it shows exactly where the truck with your package is?

On more critical shipments I've tracked them throughout the day. I now know their general route in my area so I have a pretty good idea when it'll arrive. 

But, I felt like it could be used by criminals to track ups trucks so they know exactly when to follow them and steal delivered packages.

26 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

This is code for "the case did NOT protect your new toy when we ran it over".

That's probably the meanest thing I've heard someone say to another human being.

Actually just the other day the UPS delivery guy walked past me and even waved "Hi" at me as I was washing my car to put a notice on my door  "Unable to deliver signature required notice". 🤔 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

I hate online updates that show odd things about delivery.  The US Postal Service will have what seems like blackouts in their tracking for a days, especially on certified letters.  I used to work for them, and certified letters are scanned every time they change hands in the Post Office. 

I see this one all the time from FedEx.  3 days of updates, 2 days of nothing, then an update right before it shows up.   UPS I've had it so they picked up something from NYC, it went to a hub nearby, then to Pittsburgh, then another place, then back to Pittsburgh, then finally to me.  5 full days after it was picked up to get to me.  If I'd have known that, I'd just have driven up there and picked it up.  

Well, I left my home down on the rural route
I told my paw I'm going steppin' out
And get the UPS blues
Yeah, the UPS blues
Well, lord, I got 'em
I got the Uhuh-wewe-Pee-Ess blues...

I had a FedEx from Stike last week - two packages:  The first, a finished Musikraft Tele neck and the second, a sweet, ROWYCO-finished Musikraft Swamp Ash hollowbody, with all "Grade-A" parts, wired up and all.  Both were picked up in Raleigh, then landed at the Raleigh regional distribution center at the exact same scanned time.  Three hours later, the neck was scanned for departure to the next stop in Central VA.  At this point, both had a Wednesday by 5pm delivery stamp.  

At some point early Wednesday morning, the neck scanned locally, and was subsequently marked "Out for Delivery".  Nothing had changed on the Body, except for the estimated delivery time now read "Pending".  The neck arrived before 6pm, but the driver had no knowledge of a second ("master", per the tracking ID) package.   FedEx put a trace on the body, but after that, radio silence - no return calls, nothing, despite Stike spending way too much time on hold.

A claim was then prepared,  but as I needed to have the body with the neck for something TOMORROW, I was pretty damned disappointed.  

There IS a silver lining...

Late in the day on Friday, Stike got a call from his Dad, several hours southwest of him:  "Ben...why the HELL did you send me a pink git-tar?!"  Apparently, the truck gorillas at FedEx had stripped the shipping label off and the expertly-packed, but repurposed Amazon box had Stike's father's address still on it.

FedEx still hasn't returned a call a week later, and the tracking number still shows the body as "Pending", last scanned in Raleigh a week and a half ago.

FC TELE 060920.jpg

Thanks, Travis!  It has a very personal, special significance for me, as it's been a really tough year, and this is a tribute build of sorts.  Stike knocked this out of the park, as always.

FC Tele headstock.jpg

15 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Thanks, Travis!  It has a very personal, special significance for me, as it's been a really tough year, and this is a tribute build of sorts.  Stike knocked this out of the park, as always.

FC Tele headstock.jpg

I can relate. Given the logo and the body finish, that’s a beautiful tribute. 

1 hour ago, cynic said:

I hope that’s a nice bourbon in Kermit’s mug. 

Always!

On 6/12/2020 at 12:04 AM, cmatthes said:

Been away from the forums a lot recently.  So sorry to hear of your loss.

I can relate somewhat.  Lost my Dad last month to Covid 19.  Was in a nursing home in Gaithersburg recovering from a broken leg.  Tested positive, but was asymptomatic for almost 30 days.  Gone in 2. 

UPDATE:  My guitar arrived via UPS yesterday evening with a one day delay, at least it got here before the weekend!  It's a 2010 Made In Canada (Quebec to be precise, Hi Zorrow! :)) Godin Icon Type 2 in excellent condition (photos from the DGS website) with a nice rectangular TKL hardshell case, gotta say it was well worth the wait and the purchase:  :wub: B)

ObyG9UK.jpg

Not only is the quartersawn Sapele top bookmatched, but it looks like the Mahogany back is as well!  Ebony fretboard (not Richlite), too!

5gRMgPw.jpg

The general appearance kinda reminds me of a Hamer Monaco, if I squint hard enough...  :rolleyes: ;)  

Archived