Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I Did It. I Finally Did It

I went into eBay and didn't just unsubscribe all my guitar searches, I deleted them.

I've been *close* to GAS being dead for about 2 years, but kept finding a few more guitar that I wanted for various reasons. Then I got my fill about 6 months ago when I thought I had a gig.  But there was still that niggling fear: "what if a REALLY GREAT STEAL came up on eBay????"

I've let 4-5 decent prices go by in the last 3 weeks.And at least one steal.

I don't want any more guitars. I don't want any new guitars.  I'm at 30 right now (if you count an electric and an acoustic I've loaned to my daughter until she decides whether she's a guitarist or not...if she does, they are then gifted and I drop 2 in my count), but 2 are up for sale at slightly high prices, and I have at least 2 more I'm going to put up for sale soon.  And one is a loan from a friend that might be a keeper I pay him for, or might be returned.

So I have the potential to get down to be down to 23 within a year.

I think my end-goal is 16.  Which includes 2 basses, an acoustic, and a hollow-body jazz. So just 12 actual straight-up solid-body electric guitars.  That's still too many, of course, an embarrassment of riches, but those last 12 are just impossible to get rid of. All #1 Guitar quality, for different reasons.

27 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I really do have all the guitars I want, and I want no others.

But what about amps? Or effects pedals? Or the newest digital device? Etc?

😇

22 minutes ago, Gabe said:

But what about amps? Or effects pedals? Or the newest digital device? Etc?

😇

I've never been that picky about my amp, and I never got into pedals/stomp boxes (thank goodness).

I did churn through amps for a good decade, too, but I was mainly looking for an intuitive digital interface.  I have that with 3 setups for my 3 modes:

Johnson Millennium for noodling/jamming on my own

Line6 Firehawk FX for gigging (if I ever get one)

GarageBand for recording

Those 3 modes are also why I can't reduce below like 12 electrics.  I have my gigging guitars, my recording guitars, and my jamming/noodling/love to see on my wall guitars.

Oh, yeah, and a 4th mode: the Roland Microcube for taking a carbon fiber guitar out on a picnic or vacation.

So I'm done with gear.  I have the PositiveGrid Spark on its way.  That's the last significant piece of gear I need.

18 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I don't want any more guitars. I don't want any new guitars.  I'm at 30 right now

I wonder how long that will last. B)

I did the same thing about seven years ago.  I deleted maybe 100 saved searches on ebay.  It was actually a relief and saved me a lot of time. I was up to maybe 25 guitars.....all super strats with Floyds.  I'm not a collector and my gigging days were done.  

I tried to get into vintage recording gear instead, but that's another rabbit hole a person could sink into.  

I think I might need to reset again.  

I give you props NOBF, for the attempt at reducing your collection.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, I live in a part of the country where they basically give  awayquality used guitars away at the pawnshops in the area.

I did a MAJOR purge 4 yrs. ago, and sold off 35+ guitars and basses.

So for the last 4 yrs. I've hovered at around 50+ guitars and basses.

Since my son plays guitar and is in to guitars like I am, I've decided to keep buying and selling guitars until I retire.

At that time, we can evaluate which guitars are worth keeping in the collection.

In 10 years, guitars may be like Beanie Babies, and might not be worth holding on to anyway.

If that's the case, we might end up selling the whole lot in a fire sale.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:15 AM, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I have all the guitars that I need, but not all the guitars that I want...

On 6/13/2020 at 11:15 AM, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

8b73b8ac13775c5a3e6479b421263268.gif

My last non-essential axe sold on Reverb, this past weekend. It had been up for 7 months. That makes 8 in the last 6 months and 11 YTD.  I'm now down to 14 but with 3 new acquisitions and 2 revamped ones due in the next 4- 6 months.

It's a good feeling to lose the dead weight and be leaner and meaner. Quality over quantity.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:53 AM, gorch said:

I wonder how long that will last. B)

Define "last".

If someone offered me the Aztec Gold Diablo with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pups and stainless steel frets back, I might consider it, depending on the price.

But at this point, if I see even a Pacifica USA Custom for $500, I'm not buying it. I have the guitars I want.

Deleting all my searches is a strong indicator of this: I don't even care if there *is* a steal out there of one of my favorite guitars. I don't want to know, because I'm not buying anymore.

11 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

I give you props NOBF, for the attempt at reducing your collection.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, I live in a part of the country where they basically give  awayquality used guitars away at the pawnshops in the area.

I did a MAJOR purge 4 yrs. ago, and sold off 35+ guitars and basses.

So for the last 4 yrs. I've hovered at around 50+ guitars and basses.

Since my son plays guitar and is in to guitars like I am, I've decided to keep buying and selling guitars until I retire.

At that time, we can evaluate which guitars are worth keeping in the collection.

In 10 years, guitars may be like Beanie Babies, and might not be worth holding on to anyway.

If that's the case, we might end up selling the whole lot in a fire sale.

I can always find guitars at good prices. And if I'm looking, I occasionally stumble on some absolute steals.

I found a Yamaha RGZ 820R in a used gear shop for $80 that I sold for almost $700.  

I'm not even looking anymore. I don't even *want* to look anymore. That's the change.  

Have you been playing more? That's what's done it for me the last few years. I've been getting into theory and guitar vids on YouTube and writing a lot more of my own music. I hardly look at ebay etc. anymore, at least not like I use to. 

What helped me the most was the theory side of taking the time to see what I was really doing on guitar, instead of just remembering patterns. I always have some apps up while playing now to help me see what I'm playing. Anyway, it's helped me a lot.

24 minutes ago, ZR said:

Have you been playing more? That's what's done it for me the last few years. I've been getting into theory and guitar vids on YouTube and writing a lot more of my own music. I hardly look at ebay etc. anymore, at least not like I use to. 

What helped me the most was the theory side of taking the time to see what I was really doing on guitar, instead of just remembering patterns. I always have some apps up while playing now to help me see what I'm playing. Anyway, it's helped me a lot.

Yep.

First was working up the songs for the gig that fell through.

Now I'm doing some recording.  

Archived