Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Steve Vai’s “Candle Power” —the man can freaking PLAY!

Steve Vai might have... or have not invented a new guitar trick for his 60 birthday, but boy there’s some serious playing here in this “Candle Power” piece —look:

Yeah, watched that on his birthday, the 6th.  I just about gave up playing forever...

This is actually where I’m heading to. I might just die before reaching it. B)

Fantastic playing, as usual. I can’t wait for his upcoming classical pieces. The sound theories were brilliant.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, zorrow said:

Steve Vai might have... or have not invented a new guitar trick for his 60 birthday, but boy there’s some serious playing here in this “Candle Power” piece —look:

All I know is that if I was Jacob Collier I'd be on the comments going "Yo!  Steve Vai bought my merch!!@!!!"

:D 

That's super cool, but Jerry Donahue does something very, very similar to what he is calling "joint shifting."

Jerry didn't know that pedal steel was a thing when he was young and listening to country and just figured out how to do it on a normal guitar. 

Incredible technique.  Everything from his circular vibrato through to his weird rising bends.

But, these days, I find Vai nigh on unlistenable for anything more than a few minutes despite how clearly amazing he is as a guitarist.

Having said that thanks for sharing!

Archived