Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Print Ads

7 minutes ago, kizanski said:

One of the worst print ads ever.  Many examples of what not to do illustrated here.

You mean covering up the naughty parts...?

or using a model with bangs?  I hate bangs...

7 minutes ago, Travis said:

You mean covering up the naughty parts...?

or using a model with bangs?  I hate bangs...

It's mostly the copy.
The fonts they used. Pick one and go with it!
The sizes of the font they used. Couldn't make up their mind what size, so they used all of them.
The Capitalization Of Every Word.  The efficacy of emphasis is lost when everything is emphasized. 
The placement of the copy. On the guitar? On the model's face?
The nonsense which comprises the copy.
* Personally, I don't mind bangs. I have a bigger problem with the inclusion of her toes in the ad. Not that I have a problem with feet either, but her feet look more like mine than a lady's. And that is at the very least, distracting.

And that's just off the top of my head.

21 minutes ago, kizanski said:

but her feet look more like mine than a lady's. And that is at the very least, distracting.

It’s funny you say that. I was just now completing a one hour webinar on foot anatomy and biomechanics as it relates to the spine for continuing education credits to satisfy my license renewal requirements. There was a slide where the instructor compared the female foot to the male foot. He claimed that the major difference was due to many women wearing improperly sized and shaped foot ware. 

from a bio-mechanical perspective I would tend to agree. However, no mention of size or amount of hair was made. Let’s just say I’m glad my wife is not my identical foot twin...

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

It’s funny you say that. I was just now completing a one hour webinar on foot anatomy and biomechanics as it relates to the spine for continuing education credits to satisfy my license renewal requirements. There was a slide where the instructor compared the female foot to the male foot. He claimed that the major difference was due to many women wearing improperly sized and shaped foot ware. 

At all starts with the feet, and nothing strong or tall was ever built on a weak foundation.  That's what I tell all of my Yoga students and teacher trainees.

Pretty girl, but I'm guessing she walked around barefoot her whole life.

4 minutes ago, kizanski said:

At all starts with the feet, and nothing strong or tall was ever built on a weak foundation.  That's what I tell all of my Yoga students and teacher trainees.

Pretty girl, but I'm guessing she walked around barefoot her whole life.

Preach!

Barefoot is fine in the grass and the sand but spend a day standing on concrete, hardwood, marble, tile, etc....  Protect your foundation, people.

now, back to the ads...  if Hamer wanted to use pretty models to sell guitars, why not copy the Dean girls...?

5BA0EF9C-67B6-42CF-990B-A6600C9A5EAC.jpeg

1 minute ago, Travis said:

now, back to the ads...  if Hamer wanted to use pretty models to sell guitars, why not copy the Dean girls...?

5BA0EF9C-67B6-42CF-990B-A6600C9A5EAC.jpeg

THAT one I had pinned up on my wall back in the day!  A home run! 

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

It's mostly the copy.
The fonts they used. Pick one and go with it!
The sizes of the font they used. Couldn't make up their mind what size, so they used all of them.
The Capitalization Of Every Word.  The efficacy of emphasis is lost when everything is emphasized. 
The placement of the copy. On the guitar? On the model's face?
The nonsense which comprises the copy.
* Personally, I don't mind bangs. I have a bigger problem with the inclusion of her toes in the ad. Not that I have a problem with feet either, but her feet look more like mine than a lady's. And that is at the very least, distracting.

And that's just off the top of my head.

All culminated with the incredibly creepy "God's Naked Truth" line. 

1 minute ago, MCChris said:

All culminated with the incredibly creepy "God's Naked Truth" line. 

Yeah - what the Hell is that?

Also wrong with that ad:

• No "Hamer" logo or company information in the ad.
  • The headstock of the guitar - the only place you will find the word "HAMER" - has moronic text obscuring your view of it.
  • The guitar itself is shaded in darkness. As the "simplicity" angle would imply, you were supposed to just know that it's a Hamer, because "less is sometimes more."  In this case, however, less is less.

This ad had to have been done by one of the Hamer or Kaman exec's kids because there's no way that a professional put that together. Likewise there's no way crap like that gets past the board unless there's nepotism involved.

Kinda makes me want to find a beater eclipse and convert it into a beater pseudo junior...

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Kinda makes me want to find a beater eclipse and convert it into a beater pseudo junior...

The Eclipse would have been such a nice guitar had they skipped the lowerhornectomy.

3 minutes ago, kizanski said:

The Eclipse would have been such a nice guitar had they skipped the lowerhornectomy.

Correct. It’s pretty fugly. Never played one but I keep hearing they balance perfectly and feel/play as well as any USA Hamer. 

That’s why I wouldn’t feel bad about modding a beater. It’s not like a pickguard covering the neck pickup hole would make it look any worse...

or just yanking out the neck pickup and leaving a gaping hole. Works for Phil X and worked for Malcolm Young.

Mmm....  gaping holes...

1 minute ago, Travis said:

That’s why I wouldn’t feel bad about modding a beater. It’s not like a pickguard covering the neck pickup hole would make it look any worse...

Maybe get you LOOthier to add a lower horn!

12 minutes ago, kizanski said:

spacer.png

P1030021.JPG

18 minutes ago, kizanski said:

• No "Hamer" logo or company information in the ad.

Wasn't this half of a 2-page ad? Which adds to the ridiculousness of it ... pay double for the worst-looking ad in history!

Kind of like how ELO's Out of the Blue was a double album.

3 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Wasn't this half of a 2-page ad? Which adds to the ridiculousness of it ... pay double for the worst-looking ad in history!

I do believe you're right. Now it's twice as bad.

23 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I do believe you're right. Now it's twice as bad.

Was it an ad at all?  I recall it being a page in a Hamer catalog. 

The Eclipse was the most ergonomic Hamer design of all.  I forgive it's weenis.

35 minutes ago, MCChris said:

The zebra stripes de-emphasize the club foot of guitar horns. They also give me vertigo.

That graphic really does help minimize the effect of the asymmetrical horn. Probably my favorite eclipse ever. 

Archived