Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who can repair this?

You may have seen my “Worst NGD ever” post a while back, https://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/88189-worst-ngd-ever/?tab=comments#comment-1011950

Well, the resolution has not gone so well. The seller has been trying to be cool, but USPS has not. The guitar, as far as I know, is still sitting at the post office after a couple months and now the seller, who opened the claim, tells me that the post office that it is at has not completed their side of the investigation and they need to submit this and that form blah blah blah.  So, it has become MY problem to deal with, which I’m very much not happy about. At one point I asked the seller to just refund my money since this really shouldn’t be my problem. He then tells me that he’s not in a financial position to refund my money. Great. 

So, I think I’m on a path to being screwed. I hate to throw away money but I think the only reasonable end to this story is to throw more money at the problem and have the guitar fixed.  Is there someone on this forum who can make this guitar look literally like new and is a known, trustworthy person?  Needless to say, this little adventure will cure my GAS for quite some time, since people can suck and I won’t be opening myself up to being screwed anymore. 

Here are the pics again...
547B21F9-49E8-4398-B01D-F0A9D98F76CF.jpeg.5798b6003ff447641de89085ee3fd86b.jpegB183DF30-F7F2-4B22-BA1F-62264631404B.jpeg.dea52c8706d9f28d0f0acdcdb476cfd4.jpeg

5FC42E89-D05F-4248-92E4-8F394404472E.jpeg

I don't know how many members here have used all three techs listed above, but I have (many, many times), and HEL Shane is the man.
As an alternative to throwing good money after bad, you could sell it as-is and recoup some of your money.
You're losing either way, so the question is do you want to lose money with no guitar or lose money and have a guitar for which you paid twice what it's worth?

32 minutes ago, cynic said:

Unless you somehow paid direct to buyer, you should have recourse there. I read over and over on these pages how eBay/PayPal/etc side with buyers. 

They do, but not after 3 months. Never trust a seller that says - I'm gonna start a claim and all that. Arrived broken - goes right back. every financial institution would back you up on that one. 

At this point I'd have to agree - if you invest more into repair, you'll end up loosing even more, as the value after repair is gonna be even lower. Unless you do the repair yourself, which is not too hard in this particular case .

9 hours ago, jginsj said:

So, I think I’m on a path to being screwed

You're getting screwed all right, but it ain't by USPS, it's by the seller. Sure he's being "cool" about it, but shipping damage is completely on him. He should refund you completely and deal with the USPS claim. Right now he has zero incentive to push the claim. His "poor financial condition" is no excuse. I thought you said he was in the business and has shipped 250 guitars. 

I'm sorry, but this pisses me off. Like many here, I have shipped countless guitars all over the world. I take pride in packing well. But still, damage happens. It's only been a couple of times, but I always immediately refund the buyer (either fully or partially, their choice) and take ownership of the insurance claim. If it turns out my insurance coverage was inadequate, that's also on me, IMO.

Shane @ H.E.L. is the man!

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

I don't know how many members here have used all three techs listed above, but I have (many, many times), and HEL Shane is the man.
As an alternative to throwing good money after bad, you could sell it as-is and recoup some of your money.
You're losing either way, so the question is do you want to lose money with no guitar or lose money and have a guitar for which you paid twice what it's worth?

52 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Shane @ H.E.L. is the man!

Yup. Ive seen Shane repair shit that was as bad off as the OPs, as well as myriad lesser tragedies. Then there's his guitar building....

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Never learned how to play, so I have to do something with them.

live.jpg

Did you pay thru Reverb? Or Paypal, credit card?? I would think any of them would help you get your money back!! I’m in agreement w @Currypowder, his financial situation is not your problem. I think it’s time for no more mr nice guy!! 

This is a good example,   you can let the guy file a claim, but you still should place a claim with the

payment company to keep him "honest" .     

I remember a similar incident, my sig other got into a fender bender with someone who wanted to keep

it out of the claims process,    they flaked, she made a claim and got it taken care of...  

Well, I do have until August to make a claim with Paypal so I'm going to get that started.  Initially when we did the deal, he wanted Paypal gift to avoid the fees.  I told him I'd cover the fees so I'd have the protection.  Here we go, I'm about to find out how it goes with Paypal.  I've only had to make a claim once before with Paypal and it went pretty well.  I just hate all the headache, I have enough crap to deal with every day that I don't need these extra "tasks"...

I guess I was wrong ( it's been a while since I filed a claim, it used to be 60 days) -  The first step is to open a dispute within 180 days of your payment ( if he does not respond within 10 days you automatically win). 

On 6/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, jginsj said:

Well, I do have until August to make a claim with Paypal so I'm going to get that started.  Initially when we did the deal, he wanted Paypal gift to avoid the fees.  I told him I'd cover the fees so I'd have the protection.  Here we go, I'm about to find out how it goes with Paypal.  I've only had to make a claim once before with Paypal and it went pretty well.  I just hate all the headache, I have enough crap to deal with every day that I don't need these extra "tasks"...

Dude --- Make a claim immediately.... like immediately. Buy a time machine if necessary and make a claim the day it arrived busted..... No f'ing around here.... this guy spent the money he knew he was on the hook for. That's his problem. Make the claim and get your money back.

Wreck-It Ralph?

File a claim with PayPal yesterday... USPS Claims can take forever during normal times, let alone during Covid and PayPal should be informed. I tried to "work with a seller" once in a situation like this, he strung me along and walked away with my money. It wasn't much ($180), but it stung and it's never happened again.

Keep the guitar, that can be fixed no problem after getting some money back.

I have a Murkat worked guitar and I've seen Greg's work directly; both top notch. Honestly, any competent luthier would be able to fix this one, but might as well keep it in the Hamer repair family. 😉

Neck resets at the body, I have two vintage Gretsch's and neck resets at the body are the norm! Nothing to it, especially for the guys listed above.

Frustrating, yeah, take a deep breath, talk to the pros and they'll get you squared away. It's just a flesh wound!

• 1 month later...

Archived