Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Guitar store going out of business sale (LIKELY SCAM!)

The link on Facebook says: 

"No money to pay the shop rent, I plan to change career.
The cheapest guitars in the entire network, stock brand guitars all $90-$99 clearance sale.
We'll Help you Find Your Own Unique Musical Voice."

Find them HERE.

spacer.png

At the website I found USA, MIJ, MIK Fenders, Squiers, Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Electromatic Gretsches, Ibanez, Jackson, PRS all under $100.

Caveats: Only one guitar per order. I think the sale ends today or tomorrow. You can contact them via email from their website page.

Disclaimer: I have no financial arrangement with the vendor--just passing on what she posted on a Facebook ad and link.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:58 AM, Ua D said:

That seems totally legit.   

I'm guessing the owner is the victim of the CoVid-19 shutdown. I've bought some MIK Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody basses from Musicians Friend on sale for $599-699 and they were really good. $94-99 each is a steal!

Caveat: I'm brain-damaged.

I’m sure it’s a scam.  The website doesn’t show up on ICANN search.  Also the completely generic cut and paste website with no real information.  Check out this generic about us page

About Us

Our Mission
1. providing our customers with the best quality service, tailored to your industry solutions.
2. to establish a transparent, automatic billing, time-saving shopping e-commerce market.
3. to provide cost-effective trade services, using the latest e-commerce technologies and integrating trade channels.
4. the buyer in the shopping process simplification. At the same time, save a lot of buyers shopping time.
Our advantages
1. Resources and e-commerce in a variety of domestic and foreign trade channels.
2. advanced search technology that can provide all kinds of information.
3. Unique mode of operation, combining traditional trading channels and Internet channels.
4. We have now introduced, online shopping information security encryption submitted. Support credit card payment online functionality. functionality.Any questions, please contact us!

9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I'm guessing the owner is the victim of the CoVid-19 shutdown. I've bought some MIK Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody basses from Musicians Friend on sale for $599-699 and they were really good. $94-99 each is a steal!

Yeah, steal your money.  If this is legit congrats on anyone who gets a deal.  But I truly think this is too good to be true.   

26 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I'm guessing the owner is the victim of the CoVid-19 shutdown

The owner is not the victim here.  @JohnnyB it's tough to tell if you're joking here but if you're not you need to have someone check out the noggin.  No reasonable person of sound mind would believe this could be legit.

Company name "Guitar Shop"??? No physical address for the shop doing this  "going out of business sale," and at the bottom of the page, they tipped their hand:

"Copyright © 2020 Special Price Offer."

Because everyone ponies up for a new website when they can't afford the rent...

I've seen that exact ad pop up on social media with several different names/locations.

My guess is that at best, China...more likely, Nigeria.

• cmatthes changed the title to PSA: Guitar store going out of business sale (LIKELY SCAM!)
7 hours ago, Ua D said:

hmmmm seems totally legit.....one per customer must mean it’s safe to give them my credit card number.   

do you have a link to the Facebook posting?

It looks like the post on Facebook has mysteriously disappeared. Hmmmm...

Since you asked, the website is www.ycmcl.com but I can't seem to get the link to work. If you copy and paste www.ycmcl.com in the address box it'll take you there (so far).

• I also noticed that the website never reveals the store's location, let alone street address.
  • I also noticed that the site has  a LOGIN page that asks for your name, phone number, city, address, state, ZIP, and phone no.

If a phisher gets your name, address, and Soc Sec #, they have everything they need for a total identification theft.

4 hours ago, cynic said:

The owner is not the victim here.  @JohnnyB it's tough to tell if you're joking here but if you're not you need to have someone check out the noggin.  No reasonable person of sound mind would believe this could be legit.

Well, I did have a couple of strokes in my brain last July. Eleven months later my left hand can barely grasp anything, the fingers on my left hand are useless for typing, my left foot drags and shuffles when I walk, and my short-term memory is shot to shit.

Gosh, do you think that could account for the drop-off in my critical thinking?

14 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Well, I did have a couple of strokes in my brain last July. Eleven months later my left hand can barely grasp anything, the fingers on my left hand are useless for typing, my left foot drags and shuffles when I walk, and my short-term memory is shot to shit.

Would that count?

Wow, sorry to hear that! I gather you would have difficulty playing guitar?   Hope you regain some strength

arniez

On 6/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, ArnieZ said:

Wow, sorry to hear that! I gather you would have difficulty playing guitar?   Hope you regain some strength

arniez

Thanks, Arnie Z. I wanted to start noodling on fretless bass as a well-focused PT exercise, but my instruments and amp are all stuffed in an unused bedroom so cluttered that I can't navigate the obstacles to retrieve the instruments and amp. My ordeal, however, went well beyond the stroke. I was hospitalized 7 times between March 2019 until January 2020 for:

• The flu (5 days in March)
  • Cardio-pulmonary edema due to heart failure in a heatwave (3 days in May)
  • Stroke(s) in July (3 days plus weeks of in-home physical therapy--I wasn't fit to drive)
  • Installation of an ICD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implantable_cardioverter-defibrillator) in October (3 days).
  • 2-wk hospitalization fr. Nov 22 to Dec. for massive internal staph infection thanks to the infected ICD they planted under my collarbone
  • Weeks of 3x/day IV at-home injections of antibiotics  to kill off the staph infection
  • A one-week hospital stay in early-to-mid-January from impending kidney failure as a side effect of all the antibiotic injections to fight the staph infection. The rest of them family was having a holiday season get-together at a vacation rental in Leavenworth, WA in the Cascades.

My Christmas vacation spot:
    spacer.png

The family's Christmas vacation spot:
  • Leavenworth-Washington-Christmas-FTR.jpg

By the time I was discharged in mid-January 2020 (and the holiday vacation was over w/o me) I felt like I'd been whipped hard and stuffed into a drawer. At home my brain was so befuddled I felt crushed by the mail, bills and end-of-year tax statements that had piled up while I was gone. I couldn't muster the energy or mental focus to address them. To top it off, my turntable had gone out of adjustment and I couldn't play music to make me feel better. Fortunately I decided to attack that problem first. I ordered some accessories that made it quick and easy to level the turntable, I upgraded my phono stage, and I swapped in some sidelined components that turned out to be a better line stage preamp and massive power amplifier than what I'd been using for years. The exercise in mental focus, problem-solving, and staying on task helped immensely. And my LP rig sounds better than ever. My LPs sound as though the musicians are in the room and the music energizes and helps me focus when I work around the house.

But the left side of my mouth still droops, my left hand has lost dexterity, my left foot still shuffles, and I've lost  some critical thinking as you have been able to observe.

Other than that, everything is great as long as I avoid ads for closeout sales. 🤠

On 6/18/2020 at 8:00 AM, cmatthes said:

I've seen that exact ad pop up on social media with several different names/locations.

My guess is that at best, China...more likely, Nigeria.

Yeah, but if it's Nigeria you might be able to score somebody's inheritance worth millions. Then you can buy all the guitars you could want.

A million dollars would buy up around 10,000 of these premium guitars, which you could then resell for MILLIONS, I tells ya, tens of MILLIONS!!!

(No brain damage this time, just kiddin' 😀)

JohnnyB,

Shit man what a bad ride!! There are no words.....

I've been thinking about you for a while to lay blame for my reintroduction to Hi Fi.

After some prior speaker conversations I came across a deal on some Golden Ear Triton 1 speakers. I will speak of the details with you privately, if you wish. They are so incredible I’m getting close to the rabbit hole.

Upgrading my turntable and phono stage are high on the list.

I am well aware of the challenges you face. Turn up the music and take them on!

arniez

1 hour ago, a.bandini said:

Holy Crap, Johnny, I'm awfully sorry to hear of those troubles.   

I'm glad you are home, and have good music.   Get a guitar or a bass in your hands, as soon as you can please.   

I totally agree with you. My self-motivated project to get my LP-based stereo running yielded great benefits, where before I was afraid of shorting out a component or two (and did), but following the wires and securing an intact system confirmed that I still had it in me.

As it happens, we have so much living space given over to storage/clutter that my wife's daughter is coming up next week to help us sort, load up the Jeep multiple times, and drop them off at the local dump or donate to Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul. This 4-person project, properly executed, should make my guitars, basses, and amps accessible and you can bet I will be playing bass along with my records when everything is sorted out.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:08 AM, Steve Haynie said:

When the world finally collapses into Armageddon and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are flying around we can count on JohnnyB to be sure the stereo will still work correctly. 

It's amazing what you can pick up with a 50-year obsession. 😘

Getting my stereo back to work enlightened me on tweaking the signal chain, and made me aware of some new accessories (adjustable-height turntable footers and spindle-mounted bubble level and record weight) and used components (line stage preamp and heavy-duty Heathkit power amp that really kick ass). I intend to relate some of these experiences and realizations in the "Ask the Experts" forum when I can get around to it and get my thoughts in order.

Archived