Hamer Fan Club Message Center

China Standard Info?

IowaVector

Question

Can anyone help ID this guitar?  It's made in China but the headstock doesn't have the XT logo - and the Hamer logo doesn't match any other headstock photos I've been able to locate on the net.   Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 answers to this question

My understanding is there's just not a lot of info about these guitars, that some are good and some are bad.  The Korean models and at least the earlier Indonesian models are pretty good, I have one of each.  Hopefully if anyone has more info, they'll chime in.  I'm not sure what company even made them for Hamer.  

To me it seems that the model is just prior the XT series was launched. Before the logo was limited to simply Hamer. However, I only know about Made in Korea (MIK) for this series. Never heard of a China one. Seems to be a rare bird in this regard. That series is known of being made of alder or any asian equivalent to it. I liked the SD Phat Cat pickups in them the most as opposed to humbuckers. It is worth upgrading pots and parts here and there. I have a MIK in Sunburst fitted with custom made strat style single coils in humbucker format. Love it. The guitar lovely resonates. The lighter wood calls for a bigger headstock than the USA originals to stand the string tension.

It is said that the series number doesn't tell anything. However, I believe the leading digit tells about the year of production. Anyone I came across telling about the age, it fitted with the leading digit. So mine is said being from 2001 and it starts with 1 with a 55k number following. Hence, I'd assume yours being from 2003. That would could closely fit with the renaming to XT later on.

Hope that helps.

That does appear to be consistent with XT production. A similar Gumby-proportioned headstock was present on some of the last Korean models as well.  I made a trade for a MIK Standard with a similar oversized headstock and then reshaped it using a template I made from Lexan.

20190728_182758.jpg.7a30e225dadea068250d54f12bde3d1f.jpg20190804_194609.jpg.eff0e36f75b4996bd39f7141dcf29bef.jpg 20190804_195747.jpg.12721a382f1d183bdad5339b893b1842.jpg

Thank you all for the info.  Much appreciated.  There really isn't much to be found online, so this was my hunch too - it's an early XT model before they started adding XT to the headstock logo.  The logo is the wrong size too - a bit smaller than anything I've found online.  It's a puzzler.

This was a gift from a buddy who knew I was looking for a 4 digit Standard - figured this would tide me over until I could afford one. 🙂

Plays fairly well and stays in tune like a champ.  Just wish it was a pound or two lighter.  Since it's not a USA model, I'm going to take off the pickguard and have the top repainted in a Rick Neilsen checkerboard pattern.

Can you repost the pictures of the guitar you queried about again please?  I'm curious about this as well. I purchsed a Sunburst Flametop recently, made in China, and cannot find any information about it. I believe it is from the early 2000's based on information from the seller which would put it in the era of the last Korean made ones at the time. I also understand they were transitioning manufacturing to Indonesia around that time but had not seen anything related to Chinese made versions.  I would really like to know what kind of wood it is made from, etc.

I have a Black one I bought new in June 2005.  Same headstock and Made in China. Was probably made between 2002 and 2005.  Serial starts with 308...So, the first number could be the year built but I have no proof of that. Everything I've heard is that the serials for imports have no real meaning.  Bought it at a guitar store in St. Pete florida. XT model. I used to remember this stuff, but not so much anymore.   There was the original Slammer series that were great guitars.  Then an XT series that were decent.  The a really cheap slammer series that sucked, then another XT series that was decent.

IMAG0010.JPG

Archived