Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MXR Micro Amp

I pulled this out tonight to change the battery and use with my acoustic guitar.  The 9V battery clip was damaged from the old batter, so another clip is on order.  I new this was a new boost when I bought it years ago, seems one of the first ones out?  Serial Number is 33-000010 and the instructions/manual are 8.5x11 copy machine preliminary.

I doubt this is valuable, hoping that it still works.  The caps are tantalum and ceramic, so may still be OK.  If not, just a few components to replace.

20200622_203058.jpg

Looking interesting. Let us know more about it.

I love mine!   The original Teenage Fanboost!

I have one laying around here somewhere from back in the day when a MicroBoost or a Super Overdrive was my only effect on the floor. That was years before I discovered guitar nerd forums and jam band music and went down the rabbit hole of pedalboards and whatnot.

6 hours ago, Rich_S said:

Has the grey foam turned to dust?

Yes, all gone.  I put a piece of cardboard to keep the PCB traces away from the switches and pots.  Any suggestion for an alternate material?  I was thinking the pink antistatic plastic maybe.

I use sticky-backed rubber weather sealing foam in my DIY pedals, or sometimes sticky-backed felt.  They are available in the “weather proofing and window-air-conditioner-installing section of your local hardware store.

The downside is, you need an inch and it comes in 10-foot rolls.

I had one of those years ago before I knew what it was or how to use it. I remember not liking what it did to the clean channel on my solid state 1x12” combo...  what can I say, I was 16...

wish I still had it around to try with a couple of decent tube amps...

13 hours ago, Travis said:

I had one of those years ago before I knew what it was or how to use it. I remember not liking what it did to the clean channel on my solid state 1x12” combo...  what can I say, I was 16...

wish I still had it around to try with a couple of decent tube amps...

I haven’t used it in years (obviously) and will use it as a lead boost for my acoustic into a LoudBox Mini.  Hoping it sounds OK.  Lyric pickup (a mic) in a Martin.

I will also try it on electric again. For the Boogie MKIIA, it my help to get a couple more flavors of clean and dirty by running the first volume a little lower. Else, my try in the loop as a solo boost - it is not a normal level loop so I may need something to buffer it. Have a Glab SA-1, a C-lator and also found my TFX4 can drive the power amp section really well. Simpler is preferred. May use a 9V battery plug to the Powerall to keep from changing out batteries.

• 1 month later...

Archived