Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rand Guitars/Hamer Cali connection?

Tell me about Rand Havener and the Rand guitars from 87-89.  I read an interview from a few years back that recounted his connection to Tom Anderson guitars and his association with Viv Campbell, etc... it didn't mention anything about Hamer, but this design is somewhat proto-Cali, specifically the setneck variety- 27 fret slant board, scalloped cutaways, slanted single in the neck, floyd, single volume knob, even boomer-looking inlays. 

Rand_27_fret.jpg

Think this came a year or two before the first Calis, and most were variations of the overlayed colors look, not unlike some Hamers of the period.  What gives? 

I took lessons from a guy back in the early to mid 90’s who had a Rand. Looked similar to the one you posted based on my memory. Never got to play it, tho. 

Boomers predated RAND by a few years.

The first production Rands were displayed at the January 15th-17th 1988 Winter NAMM show (below).

spacer.png

I own the fourth production Rand built, and it's dated 11-7-1987.  I also own the one the guy in the second picture is playing, which Gunnar Nelson once owned.

27-fret prototypes were made throughout 1986-1987 from what I've been told.  Here is one of the prototypes made for Vivian Campbell and used in the "Still of the Night" music video 

spacer.png

This (below) is the very first Rand ever built.  EVH Baretta style guitar made with Tom Anderson parts (like all Rands) in late 1985/early 1986.  The neck came from a TA neck batch that Eddie Van Halen's Tom Anderson neck also came from in late 1985/early 1986.  Gunnar Nelson Rand on chair.  He changed the guitar to EMGs for the "After the Rain" album and tour.

spacer.png

I've talked to Rand many years ago and chatted with others involved during that era, and I've never heard of a Rand/Californian connection.  Did the Rand have influence?  Who knows.  They were made pretty close together.  Calis came out in '88 and I'm sure they were prototyping earlier than that.  I guess it's possible.

Overall, Rands have a very different feel to a Cali.  They have a rather elegant and unique feel to them - amazing in their own right.  Only 80 were made, and they don't pop up too often.  

Experimental builds I made where I tried to mix a Washburn EC36 and Hamer Virtuoso.  3-octaves guitars.  They are pretty neat - still have a few more to finish up.  

23 hours ago, DarrenD said:

Experimental builds I made where I tried to mix a Washburn EC36 and Hamer Virtuoso.  3-octaves guitars.  They are pretty neat - still have a few more to finish up.  

Let’s hear and see more RE: the Virtuos-burns (Wash-tuosos? Vashtuosburns?)!

2 hours ago, DBraz said:

Matey mine is a RAN.  Sadly I know nothing about Rand’s.

source.gif

27 minutes ago, RobB said:

Can't you just sharpie-in a, "d", and tell us about it?

It might spare me a bit more sheepishness.

I have no questions (though I have very definitely enjoyed the discussion), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to again go on record as hating Facebook.  

It's important to note that Rands are basically Tom Anderson guitars.  Rand Havener sculpted TA parts to make them what they are.  Havener was a talented painter and did most himself.

Do Rands feel similar to Calis?  The answer is no.  They are both great in their own way, but they have a different feel.

I've owned six californians over the years.  Every one felt different from each other:  different neck size, resonance, etc.  Each one was very unique.  

Rand bodies are a tad smaller and are more standardized with their necks (generally thinner) and feel.  They have a very "sculpted" touch that's quite nice and are usually lighter in weight.  

Can't go wrong with either.  That being said, if you like Calis and superstrats, Rands are right up your alley.  I'll take side-by-side pics with the Rand/cali when one of my Rands arrives from a refinish.  

Archived