Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NKD Korina and ebony

Ua D

9 minutes ago, fractal said:

Thanks.  I did end up finding that you can start with that, and opt for a two pickup version.  Must resist buying one.

Or....  just give in and do it...

D3FC1658-F2CA-4279-ABCD-E7E2D39DC614.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, RobB said:

That is looking great! Are you going to finish it with or without the pickguard?

Thanks.  Haven’t made up my mind but most likely so.   

aquacoat grain filler goes on today. 

The filler and toner coats have been applied.  The aquacoat took a lot of work to get to fill the pores.  I did not care for it versus the behlens I’ve used before.   I do like how clear it is.  I added a couple clear coats to seal it in. Next some coats with amber were applied.   I made mistake and had to sand back the color on top, but it’s all good now.  Laid the hardware on it to see what it’s looking like.  

21AA9E97-C6C7-4C44-B4E1-BC174578D696.jpeg

1B1E0FB6-13DB-4724-8225-A94FEA61900F.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ua D said:

The filler and toner coats have been applied.  The aquacoat took a lot of work to get fill the pores.  I did not care for it versus the behlens I’ve used before.   I do like how clear it is.  I added a couple clear coats to seal it in the. Next some coats with amber were applied.   I made mistake and had to sand back the color on top, but it’s all good now.  Laid the hardware on it to see what it’s looking like.  

21AA9E97-C6C7-4C44-B4E1-BC174578D696.jpeg

1B1E0FB6-13DB-4724-8225-A94FEA61900F.jpeg

Oof... that’s turning out really nicely

• 1 month later...

And initial assembly

Not a pro finish by any means.   But it’ll do for now.  Missed a few grain spots.    Also I need to refine my sanding technique.        A few scratches from the coarser grits can be seen under really bright light but disappear in most lighting.  

7E80BD21-FC9D-4A22-97D2-2C8C2E0906E2.jpeg

AF198B48-0B7E-42FF-8DFA-B7BB75ECA483.jpeg

DAC87DB5-5240-40B8-A4FB-22E7BE7BAFEA.jpeg

13F6CCAF-CF84-408E-B2CE-F92ACB5C1AF8.jpeg

C60BBF4F-40F8-41E3-97FE-3095EE73E9F6.jpeg

I. Sure you’re just being overly critical of yourself. Looks fantastic from here. 

maybe when I finish the two projects I’ve currently got going, I’ll try my hand at something like that...

Sounds great so far.   It’s very loud acoustically.    I  Only played it a few minutes last night.  I can pull off pinch harmonics like nobody’s business with the Gravelin’s.  It was late when I finished rhe assembly so I Need to dial in the setup tonight.  I haven’t messed with any of that yet. The nut is still miles high.  

still torn on whether or not to add the pick guard, but leaning towards putting it on.  

2 minutes ago, Ua D said:

Sounds great so far.   It’s very loud acoustically.    I  Only played it a few minutes last night.  I can pull off pinch harmonics like nobody’s business with the Gravelin’s.  It was late when I finished rhe assembly so I Need to dial in the setup tonight.  I haven’t messed with any of that yet.

still torn on whether or not to add the pick guard, but leaning towards putting it on.  

Even tho you didn’t ask my opinion, since it’s the internet I’m entitled to share it and shove it down everyone’s throat without consequence...

I say, go with the pick guard. It looks great as is, but something just seems missing.  I’m thinking that thing is a pick guard...

oh yeah, and thanks for describing its acoustic voice...

thanks.  I probably will add the pick guard.  I’m very pleased with the wood I’ve received from Precision Guitar Kits for both the kits I’ve done.   It’s been very resonant.  

also standard shaped guitars are effing huuuggeee!   I know I’m going to be knocking this into all sorts of stuff. 

5 hours ago, Ua D said:

thanks.  I probably will add the pick guard.  I’m very pleased with the wood I’ve received from Precision Guitar Kits for both the kits I’ve done.   It’s been very resonant.  

also standard shaped guitars are effing huuuggeee!   I know I’m going to be knocking this into all sorts of stuff. 

Yup, that’s the only reason I got rid of my mahogany standard. I just couldn’t get along with the shape. It played great and sounded huge. But seeing yours is making me rethink my position on that shape. Really well done, sir. 

13 minutes ago, fractal said:

Just stop!  I had to go back to the site again today and try to wrestle with spending $450.  My only out is how much time it would take, and I don't have any extra at the moment.

I feel you.   Plus add on the cost of tuners pickups and the other hardware and finishing supplies and you can easily push double the cost of the initial kit.   Plus a lot of time involved.  My first kit didn’t get finished until a bout a year after i received it.   Makes for a good winter project but that’s not so great for spraying around here without a controlled environment. 

Well after initial setup I would rate this as Badass.   It has tons of sustain and plugged in it has a lot clarity to individual notes.   Of course that could be the Gravelin’s.   Even on the made to order options they only offer one neck carve for this model and it’s called a 59 profile.  I actually prefer necks on the thinner side than most here, but even though it’s thicker it has nice profile that doesn’t feel too big to me.   This next week I’m going to make a couple pick guards and see which I like best on it, white/black/white or tortoiseshell.  

A few more glamour shots along with requisite funky blanket. 

9CE33775-A977-48B6-B9F1-F60A409788B3.jpeg

099B44CF-2CAD-428F-B099-70DF1603D89E.jpeg

B14EEC63-6116-45C8-84CB-6BBF49F93D30.jpeg

10 hours ago, Ua D said:

Made 2 pick guards today.  
think I’m gonna rock the tortoise for now

BD24CFA9-C2BD-499D-A65D-19F744FD7E4C.jpeg

Good choice

7 hours ago, Ua D said:

Thanks.  Since I’m being such a photo whore here’s a couple more

7B9AE45C-EF06-42C6-B316-A225AFF2A679.jpeg

32C5261C-21B2-4943-8BC3-AD973D1B07F0.jpeg

5617912B-47C2-4A8E-B794-47E62B38B985.jpeg

Man, every time I come back to this thread, I’m amazed at how great a job you did. Feel free to post as many pics as you want. I’ll keep coming back. 

Archived