Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NKD Korina and ebony

Ua D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

I love it, now I want one! Damnit! 

I've debated doing a Precision Kit for years, and I see this bad boy and think why haven't I done one yet!!

Because the resale sucks? Or you hate sanding?

Your guitar looks fab. And we all know the Gravelins sound equally fab. The SG Jr is calling....that would be such an easy build with a simple Tung oil finish and a wrap tail.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:42 PM, Ua D said:

7B9AE45C-EF06-42C6-B316-A225AFF2A679.jpeg

This one looks great with the tort guard.  The covered pickups complete the look.

However...

12 hours ago, BTMN said:

Cool lil '97 Standard I had at one time with a Tortie guard. Wish that one hadn't have to move down the line. :)

97mhs2.jpg

...with the zebras, this one needs the white guard, the way I had it when I liberated it from Canada (for $800) back in 2002 or thereabouts.

DSCN5829.JPG

No one ever told me how awesome playing a coffee table is.   When I started this project I wasn’t sure if I’d bond with the shape.   Well no worries there.  Balances well and just seems to fit me.  Already banging it in to stuff though. Oops.  Now it  might be the honey moon phase, but I’m seriously smitten with this guitar.   Quality wood, hardware and awesome pickups tend to help with that, but you never know until a guitar is all together it seems.  

unfortunately  now I might start gassing for an actual maple topped Hamer Standard.  

The new firebird is kind of cool.   I was kind of thinking about a flying V.   My only issue,  the pic

shows a V with pretty nice grain,   wondering if there's an option to get one with a relatively clean

grain...       

I would think ordering one of the made  to order kits and requesting cleaner grain would be you’re best bet. Of  Course you have to wait a couple months to get it.   I ordered an off the shelf one last year and it had bit of streaking.  I didn’t mind so much and I was expecting some, but there was a 1/8” filled wormhole that went from top through to the side that I really didn’t care for and they let me return and be refunded.   I just had to pay the return shipping.   
I’m very glad it ended up this way, but mostly because getting it made to order allowed me to get an ebony board which i greatly prefer from a looks and playing perspective.  

On 9/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, Ua D said:

Because the resale sucks? Or you hate sanding?

Oh, to answer your question; because I need another guitar or project like I need another hole in my head. But I still "want" one...

Honestly, I've considered an Uber LP like build to my spec's for quite some time. Then I got my last Sunburst and thought, well "...why, what am I going to do that's better than the Hamer?" 

Plus my last project has never completed, the roasted maple neck likes to "wander" and drives me nuts. Since this project has never been finished to my satisfaction no new projects. I think I'm just going to suck it up and order another neck from another manufacturer, pass on the roasted maple thing.

So I do my best to resist looking at Precisions and Corsa's pages, but sometimes I wander over and I take a peak and...

I understand that.  Who really needs another project or guitar. I have more than I can play well.  Plus I doubt I’ll ever assemble or build something as phenomenal as my Hamer Jr.  True craftsmanship at that professional level is hard to attain as an amateur working in my basement and garage.  

This last kit was a big step up from the first one for me in skills attempted.   Spraying a finish with a gun instead of can, making the pick guards, and really dialing in the nut.    I made 4 pick guard mdf templates before I got a good template.   I’d mess something up and end up starting over.   I have 2 good pickguards that turned out great and 2 first attempts in both colors.  

Now skills attempted do not mean even mediocre yet, but I think after a couple attempts years ago I’m ready to start ruining some actual wood from scratch again.   We’ll see.  As much as I want a Flying V kit I think a router table is my next project/purchase. And maybe a spindle sander.  

When this thread started I noticed Precision offers a Fender scale LP kit.  I've had some pretty major wood for a long scale LP since the custom shop did a short run back around 2014 but the prices they're going for on the used market are just more than I'd like to pay.

I'm going through a full reimagining of my gear needs and have a LOT to get rid of before I reach a point of entertaining a project (if I ever do), but it's for sure at the top of my list.

So I shot them an email asking about the grain (and heck why not push the envelope and ask about weight too ).     If they can make a reasonable effort to get me one that looks like the pic I think I’m in.

edit:  they did reply, they said during checkout,  click on the option for "order notes" add comments and they will do their best to match it...           that sounded fair.  

Thinking... could to a conventional 58 style V,  or maybe some kind of alternative retro thing like a flying V junior?    although there are some things aesthetically with the tenon and the bridge that I'd have to give some thought to.      

Archived