Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wet LP playing vinyl

In the high school days wet playing was very common with school mates. Last year, I met an old school friend first time after 35 years. He mentioned still having all his old records, but not playing them since they scratch all over due the wet playing. Mine are not that bad. Most can still be dry played. Although, I bought a new wet system months ago and returned to wet playing the old stuff. The sound still hears a little better and more silent than without.

Anytime I had mixed the fluid myself with a 1:1 mix of isopropanol and distilled water with a drop of dish liquid on the bottle. After play, I used to dry the record with a soft tissue.

Wet playing vinyl is a love or hate I think.

Maybe I'm missing something in translation, but... are you saying you'd play vinyl while it was wet?

I've used a similar concoction to clean records, but you get them dry.

Simplest / most economical approach yet, though, is a spin clean and then put into fresh archival sleeves.  It's astonishing how clean an old record can get, and how much dust there is, even on a new record. 

Never heard of this? Explain more. Do you play the records wet? What kinda vinyl player does that? What's your setup? Pics, youtube clip?

Interesting no one knows, it was available since the 70s. Here it goes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/analogis-clean-Nassreinigungsarm-Fluid-Ersatz-für-Lenco-clean/352228763649?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This link has a 2nd picture showing how it works.

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/analogis-clean-plattenspieler-reinigungsset-1-311488.html

The effect and advantage is the liquid removes antistatic, reduces friction by half and plays noiseless. No crackles and sizzles from dust or dirt. 

image.jpeg

On 7/2/2020 at 6:22 AM, Disturber said:

Very interesting.  Waiting for @JohnnyB to chime in.

47 years ago I had a college buddy audiophile and he used the detergent/alcohol treatment to lower an LP's noise floor, especially if he was recording an LP. It seemed like a good idea, but later in one of the audio mags I read, it mentioned that the liquid could wick up the cartridge's cantilever and short out the coils in the cartridge body, especially in a moving coil cartridge where the coil is mounted at the other end of the cantilever. My main cartridge is a moving coil design, and although I got one at a relatively attractive price, MC cartridges can get really expensive.

I have no direct experience with this, but the wicking possibility has kept me from trying it out. Also, after 47 years, if it was a good idea I would have heard about it.

The brush creates a thin wet film on the LP. It dries shortly after due to the alcohol. I couldn’t imagine how this could anyhow affect the cartridge. Anyways...

Archived