Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wood shopping

Northfield

Such a great find! Nice to know such things still exist.

Many years ago when I visited Sam Maloof's workshop in SoCal, I was amazed by the HUGE slabs of walnut he had stacked up. I think they must have each been 3-4" thick, a couple feet wide and 8 or more feet long. I could only dream about the beautiful work that would result from them......And lament that I was undeserving of working with such nice wood.

I am envious of your customers who will get a real piece of art from your stash!

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

Finding great raw wood is more exciting than finding your dream guitar.

Wellllll...

Congratulations! That’s a really great find and will lay the ground for some exceptional guitars for sure.

Congrats on finding a cool old wood stash!  It can't be easy finding good, unused, big old-growth boards of Honduran Mahogany these days.  Back when I was stationed with the US Navy in San Diego back in the early 2000s, I picked up an apartment's worth of old (as in 1920's-1950's era) Mahogany furniture from junk shops in my neighborhood at the time for cheap.  From what I can tell, they must've shipped tons of the wood from Central America to the US for various purposes back in the day.  I blame my related guitar lust for making me notice the stuff in the first place, it's not the most fashionable-looking furniture and it doesn't all go together style-wise, but I like it.  :rolleyes:

Archived