Hamer Fan Club Message Center

HAVE ALL KINDS OF TIME TO PLAY NOW

Hello Well i guess i have all kinds of time to play now April 21st i was in a nasty car / truck accident A great big straight truck ran a stop sign and head onned me. I suffered a left leg broken tibia and fibula, a broken right femur a broken left clavicle a broken sternum and broken right ribs. Sio here i am in a wheelchair. Still bed ridden Because my femur isnt healing correctly i guess. I shattered it just above the knee. 

they put a rod in my right femur but the shattered femur isnt  healing like it should so its another 6 weeks in bed man. I was really pissed when i heard that because its been 10 weeks already. I didnt hurt my hands or arms or my head luckily. So at least i can do what i love to do. Play my guitars and record music. It sucks for the band i guess But i'm gonna try to get out there here soon even if i have to sit in a wheelchair. 

So glad you’re still here with us. Best wishes for your recovery. 

5 hours ago, meathead said:

that would be something to get on stage in a wheelchair man Cant get on a ;lot of stages with a wheelchair though

I once got hit  by a car while crossing (with the light) in a crosswalk zone when I was out in Seattle. It was back in '90. Broke my tibia and tore up my one ear. Had to spend 3 days in the hospital because of infection after the fact. Our band had a gig a week or so later that we didn't want to cancel so, I played the show, in a rocker cast, sitting in a chair on stage. :P

Damn.  I was in one wreck.  I, all of the sudden, was standing outside my car.  The guy next to me was a Daytona Beach City worker.  I asked him, "How did I get out here"?  He led me by the hand to the curb.  I had neck pain and headaches for about five years.  My point is that time will heal you better than you are today.  You might not get all the way back, but you will be better.  Prayers.  Car wreck's suck...

I know what you are going through..  I once got hit by a shopping cart in a parking lot.  😏 

Just a little humor to help with the recovery.  Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.   

Hope you're progressing and on the mend soon!

7 hours ago, scottcald said:

Here's to a speedy recovery.  Nothing wrong with sitting to play.  Skunk Baxter doesn't seem to get complaints.  

>This<.  You don't need to stand to be on stage.  T-Model Ford seemed to do just fine playing while sitting in a chair:

All the best! And best wishes for full recovery. It’ll certainly take time I’d guess.

Well guys update  on my medical issues Fist of all The Dr said i need 6 more weeks off my feet because my shattered femur isn't healing like it should. 2nd they want to replace my left knee. But i don't want the surgery man.  I've had 4 operations on my left leg already every one was super painful and sucked totally.  I broke both bones in my left lower leg completely in half August 11th 1996. Man that was a night mare. They rodded my tibia and couldn't install anchor screws because their C arm quit working. A C arm is a contant xray machine so they could see where to drill holes for the screws. Which they couldn't do.

So i developed a atrophic non-union in my tibia,, it didn't heal  All the way. They went in re broke it and took bone out of my hip and bone grafted So now i have a rod a plate and 12 screws in there The plate is on my fibula. that surgery alone was more painful than my accident where i broke 7 bones man. It was a nightmare.  So i don't enjoy surgery at all. They dont give you decent pain medication like they used to. The problem with the knee is i broke my tibia plateau and my fibula and i already have a bunch of hardware in there  So they let it heal on its own No surgery on the knee Which didn't break my heart. They say they are good at knee replacements but i still hear horror stories about it. Soooooo  I don't really want to do it. I'll live with my knee the way it is as long as i can walk on it

Damn atv's man they will get if your not careful i was only going about 5 miles an hour when i broke those two bones Freak accident but it happens So it looks like i'm gonna have plenty of time to play my guitar i guess.  

Bad knees (and joints in general) cause a world of other problems that just lead to misery.

I'd get the new knee.

Oddly, I've got a plate and 12 screws (1989) in my left ankle as well.  Most every ache and pain I have today is a result of the initial injury and the complete lack of physical therapy that followed.

Knee replacements are not fun - it's a long recovery and a lot of rehab.  But the end results are worth it.  My wife has had both knees replaced, the left one twice (she's early in the recovery for the second one).  The increase in mobility and reduction of pain were pretty significant for her.  She's still in the walker stage, but she's able to walk more normally than before, and it's eliminated the back pain she had from having to favor her leg.

Archived