Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stones, Mick Taylor

A great way to start of a friday afternoon. Drinking a cool amber lager, checking out the new Stones video. 

Yes...that song rocks. The Taylor years were just sublime. The soon-to-be-released GHS box set will also come with a copy of the Brussels Affair ‘73 concert....widely believed by many to rival, or even better the ‘69 Ya-Yas show at MSG. I had it on a boot cassette BITD and just loved it.

Taylor was a really fine guitarist The Stones were very lucky to have had him. I saw them during what I believe at their high point as a live band IMHO ,the Exile on Main Street.Tour They sounded and played great. Although many in the band were way into trouble with substance abuse.

9 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

The soon-to-be-released GHS box set will also come with a copy of the Brussels Affair ‘73 concert.

Aw, piss! You mean I have to actually OWN “GHS” to get that concert? That album is weak tea!

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Aw, piss! You mean I have to actually OWN “GHS” to get that concert? That album is weak tea!

They did release Brussels Affair back in 2012 and you can find it on YouTube...update.., Get it for $20 At the CD Vault or $35 at Amazon.

8 hours ago, RobB said:

I think GHS is a great album. It came out after Exile, so it's was a pretty impossible task to top that album to begin with. But it has some great songs on it and it's just as good as It's only RnR and Black and Blue. (...Black and Blue being on of my favourite Stones albums, they were never as groovy as on that album). But I am one of those who thinks that Stones best period was between 1971's Sticky Fingers up until 1981's Tattoo You. Those 10 years are remarkable, not one bad album in that streak. I know many will dissagree with me. Its kinda impossible to discuss which reincarnation of the Stones that was the best. I grew up with this music, and these albums in many ways moulded my musical taste. The mix of RnB and disco grooves and even the influence of new wave and punk. The sound of 1970's production. The horn arrangements and the saxophone parts. The guitarplaying styles and the way Mick delivers his vocals.

I grew up with Rod Steward and the Faces and Ron Wood era Stones. And I think Ron is way underrated. I compare him a lot to Jimmy Page. Kinda a sloppy player, but the same unique groovy timing and great with riffs. Compare his catalogue of work: with The Faces, Rod's solo album, The Stones, his own solo albums and other releases, with the output of Mick Taylors catalogue. It says a lot. 

9 hours ago, RobB said:

GHS has become my favorite Stones album.

^^^ I thought "GHS box set" meant you got a live album if you bought a buncha guitar strings. Sonicly, the Taylor period is my personal favorite but I was at an age that meant I probably would have paid closer attention anyway.

When Taylor left the Stones, i recall one of the members criticized Taylor as having played lead licks all the time during a song, not just during  (what were supposed to be) lead breaks. I've heard some obscure/bootleg stuff from that era that seems to validate that statement (like maybe "Brown Sugar" at maybe MSG for a TV segment that featured Geraldo?) ; Taylor does do a lot of riffing beyond the 'standard' framework. Haven't heard the '73 Brussels concert so one wonders what that would reveal.

7 hours ago, Disturber said:

I think GHS is a great album.

Bah!

6 hours ago, MCChris said:

GHS has become my favorite Stones album.

Bah!!

4 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

This.
Nothing wrong with Goat's Head Soup (I am not afraid to type it out).

Bah!!!

1 minute ago, ceeb said:

Get yer Ya Yas out has some magical moments on it.  “Live With Me” kicks all kinds of ass 

Yes it does. And yes it does.

I read an article with some sound engineer whose job was to edit noise and bad notes out of guitar parts recorded BITD. He said the only guitarist he never had to edit was Mick Taylor...he said it was all perfect. He was referencing studio recordings. It’s funny...even onstage, Taylor is head down glued to the fretboard, not moving...just concentrating on playing.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:53 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

^^^ I thought "GHS box set" meant you got a live album if you bought a buncha guitar strings. Sonicly, the Taylor period is my personal favorite but I was at an age that meant I probably would have paid closer attention anyway.

When Taylor left the Stones, i recall one of the members criticized Taylor as having played lead licks all the time during a song, not just during  (what were supposed to be) lead breaks. I've heard some obscure/bootleg stuff from that era that seems to validate that statement (like maybe "Brown Sugar" at maybe MSG for a TV segment that featured Geraldo?) ; Taylor does do a lot of riffing beyond the 'standard' framework. Haven't heard the '73 Brussels concert so one wonders what that would reveal.

Brussels Affair was actually a King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast so I bet you have heard it, @Willie G. Moseley. Taylor plays tastefully And plentifully on the set. He plays a lot yet doesn’t step on Jagger. I think he is one of the greatest ever. Probably my fave slide player.

Brussels Affair is the high-water mark for me for live Stones.  And my favorite Mick Taylor on record.  

But I agree that Disturber's fave era- 71-81 was near flawless. And I really liked the transition to NYC Stones, Some Girls is likely my fave studio album from that era.

3 hours ago, soli'd said:

But I agree that Disturber's fave era- 71-81 was near flawless.

I'll extend that from 1968 (Beggars Banquet) to 1983 (Undercover). Not a bad album in the bunch to my ears. Pretty impressive run.

Archived