Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Blue and Purple DC guitars!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, burningyen said:

Last reported stolen, sadly:

hfc505.jpg

Wait, what..someone stole that guitar!?  Man I've been away from the HFC most of last year and just found out in the past week that not only did we lose Eric last year but that his guitar was stolen too!?  I remember working on Eric for years to finally get him to sell that guitar to me, only to inevitably sell it back to him a couple months later (with a pickup swap and lowered action) when he told me how much he missed it (it was a gift from his ex-wife and daughters, how could I not send it back "home").  He was that kind of guy that you just wanted to do right by, and to hear that someone stole it is almost as heartbreaking as learning that Eric passed away and what he endured health wise up until his passing.  :( 

In honor of Eric (Caddie), here is the purple (technically transparent violet) Studio wraptail (crappy pic, great guitar) that he tried to many many times to pry away from me (I couldn't sell it...I use the guitar in regular rotation and even though it's a "Studio" it's "Special").  A little background story on this one is that Eric told me he was watching/lusting for it on ebay, forgot about the auction ending, and I swooped in and outbid him at the end.  Even many years later he never forgave me...and reminded me often in our email conversations  :)  If NY ever allows bands to perform again I think I'm going to use this guitar for one of the shows in Eric's honor...he can even look down from Heaven and bust my balls for playing modern Country on a guitar made to rock.

IMG_0369.JPG

Kalessin, those are some awesome blues and purples! I have seen a few pictures of hamer's indigo color and that would be my preference...like the studio custom that someone advertised in England a few months ago...I might have snagged that one if it wasnt a local pickup only :(

2 hours ago, wolfman said:

Whoa. Time to change my shorts...again...

Is this that "indigo" color?   *DROOLING*

I believe so. That's definitely what everyone has told me. It's a beauty, and has some nice mineral streaking and character on the top. Great guitar, though it still isn't my #1 desert island guitar. It's #2.

3 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I believe so. That's definitely what everyone has told me. It's a beauty, and has some nice mineral streaking and character on the top. Great guitar, though it still isn't my #1 desert island guitar. It's #2.

If THAT isn't your #1 desert island guitar, i'm afraid to see what is! 😲

7 hours ago, stobro said:

Is there a separate thread for blue single cuts? I have some contributions to make to that thread, if it exists.

😉

16 hours ago, wolfman said:

If THAT isn't your #1 desert island guitar, i'm afraid to see what is! 😲

It's all about playability. The Indigo Archtop Custom plays incredible. However my '59 Burst Archtop Studio is the best playing guitar I've ever owned. And the neck with the roundover is just a bit more comfortable than a bound neck. It's on the left. Amazingly, these two guitars are only 50 apart in serial numbers, but look at the difference in the color of rosewood. The Candy Apple Special also has a really thin C shaped neck, while the Studio has a much beefier neck.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

It's all about playability. The Indigo Archtop Custom plays incredible. However my '59 Burst Archtop Studio is the best playing guitar I've ever owned. And the neck with the roundover is just a bit more comfortable than a bound neck. It's on the left. Amazingly, these two guitars are only 50 apart in serial numbers, but look at the difference in the color of rosewood. The Candy Apple Special also has a really thin C shaped neck, while the Studio has a much beefier neck.

spacer.png

Now I'm curious...

Do ALL specials have a thin neck profile (as compared to the studios)?

13 hours ago, wolfman said:

Now I'm curious...

Do ALL specials have a thin neck profile (as compared to the studios)?

Depends on the build year, and they can vary within that parameter. 

Here's my rule of thumb: 90-93… thin neck. 94-97… medium neck. 

Others can post their own observances.

11 hours ago, specialk said:

Depends on the build year, and they can vary within that parameter. 

Here's my rule of thumb: 90-93… thin neck. 94-97… medium neck. 

Others can post their own observances.

Not too far off my experience with Specials.  I've had a cherry red 92' that was a pencil neck and a 92' or 93' TV yellow (can't remember for sure) that was also a pencil neck, both long gone because of the neck profile; I currently have a 93' TV yellow Special that's got a medium (but on the slender side of Hamer 'medium', just a tad slimmer than the 95' purple FM in this thread which to me is a medium C that falls in the "medium" from that era) neck; and I have a C/O 01' Special (FM) that has a stout neck profile (possibly the fullest neck profile on any Hamer I've ever owned)

59 minutes ago, holLoWskull said:

Not too far off my experience with Specials.  I've had a cherry red 92' that was a pencil neck and a 92' or 93' TV yellow (can't remember for sure) that was also a pencil neck, both long gone because of the neck profile; I currently have a 93' TV yellow Special that's got a medium (but on the slender side of Hamer 'medium', just a tad slimmer than the 95' purple FM in this thread which to me is a medium C that falls in the "medium" from that era) neck; and I have a C/O 01' Special (FM) that has a stout neck profile (possibly the fullest neck profile on any Hamer I've ever owned)

You had me at “fullest neck profile”....  What is this Special FM of which you speak...?

Archived