Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Blue and Purple DC guitars!

On 7/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, wolfman said:

Now I'm curious...

Do ALL specials have a thin neck profile (as compared to the studios)?

These are both from 1993, and the difference is VAST. Now, I have heard that the 1993 Candy Apple Red specials with Cream pickups were a dealer special order for that year. I don't know how true that is, but I've seen several like that. 1993-1994 also seems to be the change over from the really thin neck. I have a 1996 Special, and it's about the same as the studios.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do non-Hamers count?  Here's my awesome 2005 PRS Custom 24 20th Anniversary with a 10-quilt top in Whale Blue.  It's sporting one of the first sets of zebra 59/09s ever built too, before the company had even cataloged them yet...  One of my favorite fiddles!

2005 PRS Custom 24 Anniversary 5909 PUs.jpg

2005 PRS Custom 24 Anniversary 5909 PUs Full.jpg

This is a '93 Studio that was made for the German market, apparently.  These pics were taken by the previous owner. The actual colour is somewhat darker than these shots make it appear as they were taken in bright sunlight, which is a pity as there's a very nice flamey top under that finish that you can barely see most of the time; I still love the guitar to bits though and wouldn't be parted from it.  The blue case was a nice touch.  This is my 2nd archtop, the last one I owned was in Aztec Gold and had a gold Floyd-Rose locking trem system on it so quite unusual I think, at least I've only seen 1 other like that in the UK.  I'm not sure I very much like the 'standard' pickups these guitars come fitted with, being an SD 'JB' in the bridge position and an SD '59 at the neck, this is of course totally subjective.  I fitted My last archtop and now this one with a pair of SD 'Pearly Gates' that I much prefer, I think they're more 'Les Paul-flavoured'  I also very much dislike the rather skinny fret wire Hamer chose for most of these guitars and replaced the first one with Dunlop '6105' immediately after purchase back in the early '90s. The current blue one has been re-fretted with Jescar '55090' 18% NS which is the pretty much the same thing same as the '6105' fret wire, only harder and better quality than Dunlop.   Both guitars had/ have the same slim neck profile.  I purchased and then returned a Studio Custom 'GATSO' model earlier this year that had a very fat neck that I didn't like one little bit.

IMG_9264b.jpgdidn't like at all

IMG_9270.JPG

On 7/14/2020 at 1:56 AM, tbonesullivan said:

Did someone say blue?

spacer.png

I believe this was mine at one time ...lol we meet up at sam ash in Edison nj ...killer guitar.

20 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

These are both from 1993, and the difference is VAST. Now, I have heard that the 1993 Candy Apple Red specials with Cream pickups were a dealer special order for that year. I don't know how true that is, but I've seen several like that. 1993-1994 also seems to be the change over from the really thin neck. I have a 1996 Special, and it's about the same as the studios.

I agree with Dave.

On 7/21/2020 at 6:32 PM, iownit4 said:

I believe this was mine at one time ...lol we meet up at sam ash in Edison nj ...killer guitar.

That's correct!  It gets a good amount of play time for sure.

4 hours ago, wolfman said:

Montelovesco is someone a monty python fan? 🤣

I kinda heard that one before... oh, yeah, when I posted the build here... 😁

I built one guiter for each family member, with the name as an inlay. NI is just the short version of Aeneas... Kind of knight as well, but none of Ni... 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:59 PM, Travis said:

You had me at “fullest neck profile”....  What is this Special FM of which you speak...?

I picked it up a few years ago off Reverb.  Must have been a custom order...I’ll take a couple pix when the sun is out.  Whoever originally ordered it checked off some very cool boxes..vintage neck, salmon blush over premium flame maple top, belly cut on the back and a bevel on the treble side “horn”...has a bit of a PRS Mira vibe.  

4 minutes ago, holLoWskull said:

I picked it up a few years ago off Reverb.  Must have been a custom order...I’ll take a couple pix when the sun is out.  Whoever originally ordered it checked off some very cool boxes..vintage neck, salmon blush over premium flame maple top, belly cut on the back and a bevel on the treble side “horn”...has a bit of a PRS Mira vibe.  

Ooh...  that sounds amazing. I must see these pics when you take them...

This is Hamer's "Indigo" finish, so both Blue AND Purple!

MyB12M.jpg

Archived