Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pushed Fender tones with Helix

Here is a vid I made w pushed Fender amp tones and humbuckers. 2 things I rarely use lol but I wanted to demo how well these models do in between clean and mayhem. I think it sounds great. Im kinda addicted to direct for anything past a pub gig these days. This was Helix lt into my small pa. My vid cam has xlr inputs, one 57 and one pro 37 at condensor recording. Tophat, Horns and Boogie are badass props here...

15 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

It says a lot that you could be playing a Tophat or a Boogie and you still want to play the Helix!

I still use them but Helix is so easy if the pa system is modern it rules in 3 min. I still play the Tophat on my Blues gigs. The boogie is seriel # 264 so its reached stay at home status

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

I agree, this was very cool.  So many people putting stuff out and as usual, only a fraction is really good.  Please post a link when you're on there.  What other sounds you looking at developing?

I did a Gilmour tone on the Time vid I posted here as well. Doing Hendrix at Moneterey right now. Thanks for listening

@it's me HHB, that was simply outstanding. I have never said this before, but I’ll say it now: that modeler you tweaked to perfection sounds exactly like a pushed tube amp. EXCELLENT tones. 
Now the million dollar question...How does it FEEL when you are playing? Does it feel like a tube amp? Your playing had plenty of dynamics but does the Helix respond to your fingers and guitar like a real tube amp? It sure as hell sounds like one here!!

4 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

@it's me HHB, that was simply outstanding. I have never said this before, but I’ll say it now: that modeler you tweaked to perfection sounds exactly like a pushed tube amp. EXCELLENT tones. 
Now the million dollar question...How does it FEEL when you are playing? Does it feel like a tube amp? Your playing had plenty of dynamics but does the Helix respond to your fingers and guitar like a real tube amp? It sure as hell sounds like one here!!

I love the feel. Keep in mind the full models are miced up tones ready to be fed into a mic pre. Ive spent the last 15 years doing mainly theater gigs where I was on in ears so Im super used to that approach. In that setting its indistinguishable from a miced amp to my ear. I always use the 1/4 inch output into my PA w the models that come stock w a Helix LT. Want to show what it can do stock into a normal setup that anyone would have. 

14 hours ago, scottcald said:

I agree, this was very cool.  So many people putting stuff out and as usual, only a fraction is really good.  Please post a link when you're on there.  What other sounds you looking at developing?

Here is a Beano tone. These were born if total boredom. I traded my trusty hd400 plus some stuff right before lockdown/cancellation. Was intended for the Floyd Band but I started these literally just to be doing something and learn my vid better. This was the first "history" vid

HHB said, "Man making videos is such a fucking rabbit hole."

///////////////////////

Hey now, take it easy on yourself Bill. I've known you on this board for close to 20 years and not once have I thought of you as a "fucking rabbit hole" ! 😋

Dude.....the Hendrix tone was incredible and I loved your explanation. Just spot on. I am a tube snob...but dang....you make me want to get a Helix. AND NO ONE ON EARTH HAS EVER MADE ME SAY SUCH A THING.

I can see me using that for recording direct.

Now the Bluesbreaker clip didn’t do it for me. I know that album inside and out and something is missing in the equation. It sounded great but just not like what the old JTMs sound like on the Brit blues albums. I’ll give a listen later with some quality studio fans and see if that changes it. 
The tone is missing the cream,the milk shakiness, 

But the DR and Hendrix tones are to die for. I want the patches and I don’t even own a Helix.

19 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Dude.....the Hendrix tone was incredible and I loved your explanation. Just spot on. I am a tube snob...but dang....you make me want to get a Helix. AND NO ONE ON EARTH HAS EVER MADE ME SAY SUCH A THING.

I can see me using that for recording direct.

Now the Bluesbreaker clip didn’t do it for me. I know that album inside and out and something is missing in the equation. It sounded great but just not like what the old JTMs sound like on the Brit blues albums. I’ll give a listen later with some quality studio fans and see if that changes it. 
The tone is missing the cream,the milk shakiness, 

But the DR and Hendrix tones are to die for. I want the patches and I don’t even own a Helix.

Good ear, Im weak on my Blues Breaker early EC tones in real life so I was just kinda spitballing 😆. I kinda think that is the key, knowing how it should work in real life. Like Ive never driven a car I can drive in a game. But Ive been fuckin around w fuzz face tone for years. Dude I got a Schenker tone coming up thats pretty strong. Thanks for the encouragement, Im going to try and market some and see what happens. 

On 7/18/2020 at 3:50 AM, it's me HHB said:

Here is a vid I made w pushed Fender amp tones and humbuckers. 2 things I rarely use lol but I wanted to demo how well these models do in between clean and mayhem. I think it sounds great. Im kinda addicted to direct for anything past a pub gig these days. This was Helix lt into my small pa. My vid cam has xlr inputs, one 57 and one pro 37 at condensor recording. Tophat, Horns and Boogie are badass props here...

Sounds great.

Yes, market the patches, presets or whatever L6 calls them now.  I am looking at the new POD Go cause it uses the Helix stuff. 
Like you HHB, I love a good fuzz face with bright singles. Sparkling cleans that are often better than the amp alone to all out fuzz onslaught...all with the guit vol knob...you showed that very, very well.

Archived