Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD Monaco Superpro

DaveL

short backstory,   so I'm eating healthier and after eating salads all week,  I said, f it...  I'm starvin,  I'm going up to Manchester

to get the chinese luncheon and also hit Manchester Music Mill.           

I never made it to the chinese joint...    

great top,  fairly clean, looks like a recent fret polish and level,  the nut was possibly replaced, and a tiny bit of hameritis,   nothing too bad.    strange string guage, looks like a large low E

and relatively light rest of the strings... will clean it up and restring it with some slightly beefy curt mangan's.   done... 

pics

i-QW8KFX6-M.jpg

i-XQLSV4D-M.jpg

i-s7tR8w4-M.jpg

i-wbzMWwh-M.jpg

i-ktQvN5C-M.jpg

Killer top, one of Hamer's greatest models ever. If the pickups are original, resist the temptation to change them until you give them a chance. It's an odd combo on paper that simply works in practice.

13 hours ago, MCChris said:

Killer top, one of Hamer's greatest models ever. If the pickups are original, resist the temptation to change them until you give them a chance. It's an odd combo on paper that simply works in practice.

I second that.  Got one brand new 15+ years ago and was just expecting a certain sound.  It didn't have it.  Was before I really discovered pickup swapping, so out it went.  Would dearly like to give one another go with the stock pickups. 

Plus side is El Duave ended up with it (eventutally) as one of his main guitars, so it's still in the family. 

1 hour ago, seeker said:

.  Would dearly like to give one another go with the stock pickups. 

The stock Duncans are perfect for the Superpro. Run them.with the volume on 7-8 for a great classic paf tone, then max out when you need to go all in!

13 hours ago, topekatj said:

The last photo REALLY pops! Is this the 25.5” scale length model?

Yes. The Monaco, Superpro and Monaco III were all 25.5”. The Monaco elite was 24.75” and the Monaco subtone was a baritone long scale. 

I wasn’t a fan when they first came out.   Elduave brought one to practice and then a gig, and I was blown away.  One of Hamer’s brilliant designs!

Thanks all for the comments.    

Spent a few hours on it.     Cleaned and oiled the fretboard.  Made one mod,  slots in the bridge were really cut deep and were buzzy especially the g.    Had a nos Schaller bridge in my parts drawer.      Restrung with 10-48’s.  Spaced them out and tapped with a plastic mallet.     Got rid of the pinging.    Tweaked pickup pole pieces to get a little more punch in the low strings.   Sounds nice.  Pretty happy.  

I am not convinced the Superpro is the "best" model Hamer ever made.....I (personally) think the Talladega Pro probably was. That said, how can I explain that I no longer own the latter? And my CO Superpro is probably the last Hamer (of the relative handful I have left) that I would cut loose if push came to shove?

It does have some key upgrades in materials and finish, as well as upgraded pickups, so there is that. But the completely stock version with the original pickups has a certain degree of magic to it.

Maybe it is just that I have a soft spot in my head for goldtops, esp the one to the left.....

36207721556_5fbeb081d0_h.jpg

Yeah, I know, damn first fret inlay.......

Great score and healthy eating! B)

It looks like I need a Superpro though.  Long scale humbucking kills.

Archived