Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What band?

So if you could play in your fantasy band, who would you play with and what would you play?

I would play bass with the original Santana band. At least for their first record.  And maybe for the original Santana Blues Band as well.

1 hour ago, m chops said:

So if you could play in your fantasy band, who would you play with and what would you play?

I would play bass with the original Santana band. At least for their first record.  And maybe for the original Santana Blues Band as well.

I think I'd rather play guitar.

That’s an easy one! Little Feat!!! 
No Hits.... but what a groove/feel band!!! I was in a great band in the 70’s talented guy’s. But we could not duplicate the feel of Little Feat. Anything else came easy... Little Feat material never hit the songlist, after many attempts we just could not get their loose feel and be so tight!!!

Hard choice to pick just one. Three of my favorite bands where the band members seemed to get along real well together include: The Charlie Daniels Band, Huey Thomasson with the Outlaws, or David Nelson with the New Riders of the Purple Sage. Since 2 of my 3 are RIP, I'll pick playing guitar with David Nelson and the NRPS.

One of my old bands had everything we needed to go somewhere if we had pushed ourselves.  Since we are talking about a fantasy band anyway, that one band from my past is the one I choose for this reason:  We would have accomplished things on our own as a band and individual players.  That would feel better than playing with my heroes.  Instead of trying to meet them they would want to meet me. 

Could there be anything more fun than playing guitar for Weird Al Yankovic?  

I like singers.  Real singers.  Backing the greats, any of Cropper's gigs at Stax, etc.  I really was envious of this guy's gig back when this aired:

Or this guy:

But the ultimate would be Teenie Hodges' gig in the heyday:

Or Jimmy Nolen or (here) Catfish Collins:

"FELLAS!"  "FELLAS!"

Maybe Deep Purple. Always wanted to live in Europe, they have longevity with a great catalogue of good music and I would like to think I’m easier to get along with than Richie Blackmore. 

On 7/23/2020 at 11:09 AM, Steve Haynie said:

One of my old bands had everything we needed to go somewhere if we had pushed ourselves.  Since we are talking about a fantasy band anyway, that one band from my past is the one I choose for this reason:  We would have accomplished things on our own as a band and individual players.  That would feel better than playing with my heroes.  Instead of trying to meet them they would want to meet me. 

I'd likely opt for the same- we had some real momentum building in the early 90's with an originals band I started called Zombie Nation. Not that we were really all that good but the songs were 95%  mine (something to I took a lot of satisfaction in, given my otherwise appalling lack of skill on guitar) there was a certain something, some x factor working for us where we had scouts and prospective mangers chasing us. We had a sizeable local fan base and there was a palpable buzz surrounding us. It was fucking surreal. Couldn't figure out why but wasn't spending much time doing so, either. Just was riding that train for all I was worth.

Yeah, I'd like to go back to that and maybe be able to do a few things differently.

Really what @Steve Haynie and @diablo175 said.  We had a chance to go out opening for a couple of big-at-the-time post grunge bands, and if I had it do do over again, I would have made the guys get in the fucking van. 

But in the spirit of the thread, either Toys-era Aerosmith or Electric-era Cult, assuming everything else stays the same with the addition of my being there. 

Do I get to be in my 20s again as well?  Cause, I legit want to party too if I'm doing this, but my 40-year-old self ain't going to hang long with 20-something Aerosmith. 

6 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I'd likely opt for the same- we had some real momentum building in the early 90's with an originals band I started called Zombie Nation. Not that we were really all that good but the songs were 95%  mine (something to I took a lot of satisfaction in, given my otherwise appalling lack of skill on guitar) there was a certain something, some x factor working for us where we had scouts and prospective mangers chasing us. We had a sizeable local fan base and there was a palpable buzz surrounding us. It was fucking surreal. Couldn't figure out why but wasn't spending much time doing so, either. Just was riding that train for all I was worth.

Yeah, I'd like to go back to that and maybe be able to do a few things differently.

Dudeman 1: “Pretty big crowd tonight. What do think of ZNat so far?”

Dudeman 2: “Killer band, bro! I really like their tunes, but I’m a little taken aback at the guitar player’s appalling lack of skill”

Dudeman 1: “Seriously! Man, am I hungry. Wanna hit up Subway? “

For the partying: Mötley Crüe in the mid 1980's, Shout at the Devil era.

For the funk: The Time

For the swagger and RnR: The Rolling Stones in the 70's to early 80's, or the Hanoi Rocks mid 1980's.

For the punk and RnR: The Clash

Just because: A few nights in Elvis band at his Vegas hay days.

Well then, Queen would be great in terms of full band. Even with Adam Lambert it would be great fun. Gillan was a great band too. Bernie Tormé was a killer guitarist that I loved for his crazy tones. The Sweet nice. Carl Verheyen would be great too. I have actually jammed with him for a minute in a master class. Also had been on stage with him and his drummer as part of the class. Carl hadn't played on stage. A single minute of fun though. B)

Within the premise of this thread there is a business opportunity for KISS.  What would someone pay to be Tommy Thayer for an evening? 

Seriously.  They sell stage played guitars for $5000.  Pay in advance.  The guitar or bass gets used on one song, autographed, and handed to you after the show.  Gene has been doing private events in fans' homes for $50,000 if you bought his Vault set.  Paul Stanley has been one of those coaches at Rock and Roll Fantasy camps where he jammed with with his classroom attendees who paid $6000 or so plus their travel expenses. 

So, to live out the fantasy of being in KISS on stage in front of 10,000 to 15,000 people, what would someone pay?  Just prove you can play your parts, and you get to play Let Me Go Rock 'n' Roll.  Some millionaire payed millions to go into space via the Russian space program.  Tom Cruise spent half a million on his now ex-wife's birthday party a few years ago.  What is Gene Simmons' price to get to play one song at his show? 

Archived