Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Converting a special to a junior?

So...  I’ve been thinking about picking up a beater 90’s special with P90’s and “converting” it to a junior. My first question would be: does anyone know if a junior pick guard would cover the neck P90 route completely or if a little bit of the route would poke out on the bass side?  I can’t quite tell from pics online how they would match up. 

The other trick for me would be to find a special in suitably beat shape for me not to care about drilling holes for the pick guard while also no having that damn skinny neck...

Just thinking on a Friday morning...

Based on some photos I've seen online, I think you'll have ~1/4" of the corner of the pickup rout exposed if you use a vintage-correct pickguard.

32 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Based on some photos I've seen online, I think you'll have ~1/4" of the corner of the pickup rout exposed if you use a vintage-correct pickguard.

Ah, thanks. 

So, maybe a slightly oversized pick guard or live with the gap since it would be a beater anyway. 

Or...  just leave the neck pickup cavity empty. Worked for Malcom Young....

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Curious: would you be leaving the stock bridge pickup in it or installing something else?  I have been thinking about a Junior for a while.   I also have been watching for a PRS SE ONE, too, which gets decent reviews..

https://reverb.com/item/33262225-paul-reed-smith-se-one-solidbody-electric-vintage-cherry-w-bag

I’d definitely give the stock p90 a try but I have a feeling I’d end up having josh wind me one in the end...

you know, I’ve seen those prs se juniors and they seem like a cheap way to get into a junior. I’ve personally never bonded with the US PRS’s I’ve played and I don’t know what the neck is like on that import. But, for sub $500, it’s tempting, especially since I prefer the look of a single cut junior...

4 hours ago, Travis said:

I’d definitely give the stock p90 a try but I have a feeling I’d end up having josh wind me one in the end...

you know, I’ve seen those prs se juniors and they seem like a cheap way to get into a junior. I’ve personally never bonded with the US PRS’s I’ve played and I don’t know what the neck is like on that import. But, for sub $500, it’s tempting, especially since I prefer the look of a single cut junior...

Travis, if you're a patient man, you'll run across a PRS SE ONE for probably $200 or less. Just lurk and watch; it will come around.

I had an early SE-EG that had a very substantial neck, a nice handful. For an import it was pretty well done.

But a Special wins every time.

Rabbit Hole, trust me. It all sounds like fun until your A$$ Deep into it and it doesn't turn out the way you want it. With no way out and your money gone, just buy a Jr and thank me later. The PRS ONE's really do sound great, I have like all three that I played, but nothing compares to a real Jr. 

20 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Rabbit Hole, trust me. It all sounds like fun until your A$$ Deep into it and it doesn't turn out the way you want it. With no way out and your money gone, just buy a Jr and thank me later.

Wisdom beyond his years.  

It seems like @bubs_42 is routinely saving me from multiple rabbit holes this year. Speakers, junior, what’s next...?  Is there any crazy idea I can come up with that bubs hasn’t already tried...?

22 hours ago, Travis said:

Ah, thanks. 

So, maybe a slightly oversized pick guard or live with the gap since it would be a beater anyway. 

Or...  just leave the neck pickup cavity empty. Worked for Malcom Young....

This.

With a beater, the world is your oyster.  Vintage pickguard, new pickguard, cut-up LP album for a pickguard, no pickguard.  Fill the hole, leave it empty, put a Pez dispenser in it.  Original pickup, vintage pickup, custom pickup.  Stike refin, beat it with chains, paper it with stickers, leave it alone.  All your choice, all will work.

Archived