Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Peter Green IBS

His playing is far more interesting....such a great blues and blues-rock player. He was truly the whole package...killer guitarist, singer, and songwriter. In 1968 his band outsold the Beatles. The Beatles even copied Albatross...I cannot remember which song it ended up as.

He was a phenomenal blues player in the late 60s. May he RIP.

Me, too; I'll dig out all three of the Live at the Boston Tea Party CDs again. I rarely go a couple of weeks without listening to "Rattlesnake Shake" on that collection anyway. And this image is redundant but now a bit more important. +1 on the original post about Green surviving this long.

Peter Green Les Paul-Lo.jpg

1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

+1 on the original post about Green surviving this long.

I was surprised on the news. Thought we was long gone. Bernie Marsden made a great tribute CD on him years ago.

Truly a great and influential player. It's a shame that all the drugs flying around at the time really pushed his mental health into the dark side. He was thankfully able to emerge and continue creating. Sure he was eclipsed in terms of popularity by the band he formed, but he was a great musician.

Without him there would be no Black Magic Woman or Green Manalishi.

And there was also that magical les paul...

6 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Truly a great and influential player. It's a shame that all the drugs flying around at the time really pushed his mental health into the dark side. He was thankfully able to emerge and continue creating. Sure he was eclipsed in terms of popularity by the band he formed, but he was a great musician.

Without him there would be no Black Magic Woman or Green Manalishi.

And there was also that magical les paul...

There would have been no out of phase wiring on the old Hamer Sunbursts either. The Peter Green influence on the evolution of the Hamer Guitar. Jol even called the Dimarzio paf's made to Hamer specs for the Peter Green/Gary Moore pickups.

10 hours ago, Disturber said:

There would have been no out of phase wiring on the old Hamer Sunbursts either. The Peter Green influence on the evolution of the Hamer Guitar. Jol even called the Dimarzio paf's made to Hamer specs for the Peter Green/Gary Moore pickups.

It's one of those famous mods that it seems like few people can agree on what makes it work. Was it just the flipping of the magnet, or did the flipping of the pickup make it work as well?

I will honestly say that in general, I find the "middle" position on humbucker guitars to be kinda useless. I don't know what to do with it.

10 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

It's one of those famous mods that it seems like few people can agree on what makes it work. Was it just the flipping of the magnet, or did the flipping of the pickup make it work as well?

I will honestly say that in general, I find the "middle" position on humbucker guitars to be kinda useless. I don't know what to do with it.

The magnet was the key. Flipping the pickup does nothing that has to do with the sound. I tried that with the PG setup on my old LP. It didn't do a thing, so I put it back in the right way.

As to middle position sounds, there are many great tones to be had with an out-of-phase middle position. Small turns of the knobs can dig out some cool results. When listening to PG's Fleetwood Mac live records, it's fairly obvious he fiddles with his controls a lot. It can go from a sweet, BB King chirp to a big, PAF grunt. I think one of the reasons he liked that LP so much is that it could cop the BB King, Varitone sound. 

IMG_0099.jpg

3 hours ago, RobB said:

The magnet was the key. Flipping the pickup does nothing that has to do with the sound. I tried that with my PG setup on my old LP. It didn't do a thing, so I put it back in the right way.

As to middle position sounds, there are many great tones to be had with an out-of-phase middle position. Small turns of the knobs can dig out some cool results. When listening to PG's Fleetwood Mac live records, it's fairly obvious he fiddles with his controls a lot. It can go from a sweet, BB King chirp to a big, PAF grunt. I think one of the reasons he liked that LP so much is that it could cop the BB King, Varitone sound. 

IMG_0099.jpg

Agreed.  Many great tones with a flipped mag....

9 hours ago, shankyboy said:

Have you checked out Blues For Greeny?

Maybe that‘s the one. I have a few Marsden CDs since I like his playing a lot. Got to check.

11 hours ago, gorch said:

Maybe that‘s the one. I have a few Marsden CDs since I like his playing a lot. Got to check.

Blues For Greeny was a tribute album by Gary Moore. He used the Les Paul that Peter had given him for all of the songs. 

Check out also this 2 CD set from over 20 years ago. Many different takes on the PG catalog. "Rattlesnake Guitar: The Music of Peter Green"

The out of phase center position opens up a lot of tone options. But it is NOT a set and forget thing. It takes some experimenting to get all the value from it.

The OOP thing makes me want to dig out this thing from one of my favorite builders......ThroBak pickups set up in the Peter Green way (without the reversal of the neck pickup).

47484790712_0b3d6e4020_c.jpg

Back when we still had a band thing going, two of our favorites were covers of Jumping At Shadows and I Need You Love So Bad, the latter PG version here....

52 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

Blues For Greeny was a tribute album by Gary Moore. He used the Les Paul that Peter had given him for all of the songs. 

I've read it up from the shelve. Bernie's tribute is called Bernie Marsden Green And Blues.

If you didn't read the profile of the Les Paul in the Aug. 2006 issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine, we've put it up on our web site. Includes a link to a 1 1/2-hour concert video by Gary Moore.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/28984/legendary-burst/

Comments invited.

I wish I knew where I read that Peter said of Gary, "he borrowed from everyone he listened to as a boy".  Green then commented, "So did I".

As for the middle position on a Les Paul; the key is the volume and tone controls.  The best Santana sound I can get is both pickups on and the bridge pickup dialed back just a bit and the tone control almost off.  The opposite gives you a really fuller bridge pickup tone.  But I don't wind down the neck tone very often in the middle.  

Bought a set of Corsa Manalishi pickups for Kizanski's R0 black Les Paul.  Middle position is the only position that has the nasal singing tone.  Back off either volume knob and it goes back into phase.  Really cool.

I've commented that Graham Lilley let me play "Stripe" (the Montrose guitar), but he would only let me touch Greeny because Gary didn't like people playing it.  But I did touch it!  

I have covered Oh Well...Need Your Love So Bad, and especially for the last couple years...Stop Messin’ Round....love all of them. If I ever start gigging again I’ll add Rattlesnake Shake for sure...

I am not sure if this still works......In addition, we also used to do a cover of Black Magic Woman that was a mashup of Peter Green and some cat calling hisself Carlos....Yes, he was an inspiration. A very pale homage to the master.....

Every  time I have played BMW live I play Green for the first half of the solo and then Carlos for the second half.

Archived