Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tales from my workbench

Well, I didn't start polishing today as planned, but I did get the yard mowed before it rains tomorrow. So, I've got that going for me. :D I did, however, get my work area set up for polishing.

All the components have been already been buffed on the buffing arbor, but need a final polish. For the polishing process I use a small auto detailing polisher along with 3m Perfect It polishing compounds and polishing pads. It works great and it give a really glossy, deep shine. The problem is that it's incredible messy, so I keep trying to find better ways to shield the spatter.

I'm happy to say that all the time I spent in my youth building forts didn't go to waste. Welcome to the He-Man Guitar Polisher's Club. #LOOTHING

ECgwaRR.jpg
  • Like 9

I should have a pic or two to send ya within the next 24 hours or so…. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, topekatj said:

Back to the back of the bass for a second 

image.jpeg

What’s the purpose of the narrow rectangular cavity that’s visible in this photo? Thanks 

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, topekatj said:

Back to the back of the bass for a second 

image.jpeg

What’s the purpose of the narrow rectangular cavity that’s visible in this photo? Thanks 

That cavity will hold 2 9v batteries if needed for active electronics. I put a passive circuit in this bass, but I used my standard control cavity template. 

Here is what's in it now:

RhPtf8n.jpg

Here is the same cavity in another bass with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp installed. 

YuECugX.jpg

Butt yeah, you can totally put your weed in there if need be. :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, that was a long afternoon/evening/night. I got through 3 levels of polishing on the necks and bodies. I'm beat. Tomorrow, I'll do a final cleanup and wipe down and a quick coat of wax on all of them. Then it's on to assembly and setup over the next few days. Fingers crossed, it looks like I should make my deadline. :D

Here are a few pictures at the end of the polishing. 

KFYC2b9.jpg

Ei4VjBD.jpg

Iefn0YP.jpg

wO7q0eJ.jpg

EF5FlYM.jpg

JDe4w7e.jpg

7ZoG4MJ.jpg

f60cGyY.jpg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, a.bandini said:

You have the best workshop on the planet. And you make gorgeous guitars and basses.  If I were 40 I'd ask to become your apprentice. 

Wow, thank you. I'm still learning, myself... so not sure how much you'd get out of being my apprentice. Although you could help me to find my damn pencil or ruler, or glasses, or whatever else I can't find at the moment. :D

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, topekatj said:

You must have a shee-it load of Tele pickups and hardware tee’d up — are you recruiting locals for a mini assembly line?

You bet I do. :D

7rmrPK5.jpg

• Like 2

I made some more decent progress today. I started off by performing a very light fret level, crown and polish. The frets gleam like jewels now. :D I also applied a light coat of carnauba wax to the bodies and necks. After that I installed the tuners and string guides. This evening I assembled the control plates.

Here are a few pictures of today's progress.

SfDAwxG.jpg

TPNdG5u.jpg

zurxRa9.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, G Man said:

Beautiful work!  I particularly like the serial # on Dad's Buck Owens Tele, very nice touch.

Hey thanks! I had a slight panic attack the other day when I thought I put the wrong date on it... The date on the headstock is fine, it's the date that I posted above for my deadline that is wrong. I meant to say May 21, not 20. :D

• Like 4

A little more assembly progress tonight. I made sure that every hole was chamfered and redrilled to help avoid chip out with the lacquer. I also use Johnson paste wax for the ferrules and all screws.

TCFEKdw.jpg

I bought one of those ferrule installation tools from Stewmac a while back. It's surprisingly helpful and does a great job on these. The other end of the tool is tapered and is perfect for installing press in tuner bushings.
1wspzxv.jpg

All done. 
wgOW5dT.jpg

Got bridges, pickups and strap buttons all mounted tonight as well.
rk6xRro.jpg

More soon. :)

• Like 7

Last night I finished the assembly and initial setup process. It feels good to bring this project to the finish line. Overall, I'm very pleased with the result. 

Here are a few pictures while still "on the bench". By the way, the protective plastic is still on the pickguards. I'll take some better photos today or tomorrow and get them posted. 

Q4XiYF4.jpg

00glcLJ.jpg

KwQnjTw.jpg

lqbCY1h.jpg

AURGoFR.jpg

WufuAxm.jpg

Ju8ERlX.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slingblader said:

Last night I finished the assembly and initial setup process. It feels good to bring this project to the finish line. Overall, I'm very pleased with the result. 

Here are a few pictures while still "on the bench". By the way, the protective plastic is still on the pickguards. I'll take some better photos today or tomorrow and get them posted. 

Q4XiYF4.jpg

00glcLJ.jpg

KwQnjTw.jpg

lqbCY1h.jpg

AURGoFR.jpg

WufuAxm.jpg

Ju8ERlX.jpg

Outstanding work!  They really came out looking fantastic. And I bet they sound every bit as good. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I'm realizing that I really need one of these.  Seriously.

LOL, thanks. I'll tell you this much, if I do another one of these I'll likely farm out the finish work to @Stike the next time. These look good, but they were an utter PITA, especially using nitro. :D

• Like 1