Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tales from my workbench

I've spent all of my spare time this past week working on this project. The honey-do list beckons, so I want to get this one wrapped up ASAP... so here are a few photos.

I spent a good deal of time going back over the contours and facets, refining curves, radii, etc. :D

DQqhal8.jpg

WlM3Znz.jpg

3z3W3OS.jpg

I like to weigh these after I'm done carving and sanding (with no hardware, obviously). This one came in at 6lb., 0.6oz, which is only a few ounces more than the previous 5 string fretless that I made. So I guess the headstock and frets could account for that. :)
p30QWvp.jpg

Yesterday I began work on the finish, which is Rubio Monocoat over an epoxy sealer. This is the same finish that I used on my last bass build and is a very "close to the wood finish", so wood pores are left exposed (although they are sealed). 

Here are a couple of teaser preview pics. :D

AY4inhp.jpg

pmfUGHv.jpg

yrZzLwM.jpg

I love the way this finish just makes the wood glow. I should have full shots in a few days. :)

• Like 11

Well, I just finished this one up. Here is a summary of the details...

Specifications:
Scale: 34"
Neck-through contruction: 13 laminates in the main neck beam with dual truss rods, heel adjust
Neck material: Hard maple, padauk, black poplar 
Headstock: Claro walnut burl face with ebony accents
Fretboard: Heart and sap cocobolo
Fretboard radius: 12"
Nut: Stainless zero fret and Tusq nut
Frets: Stainless jumbo
Side position markers: Mother of pearl
Body wings: In order from top to back; Claro walnut burl, black poplar, alder core, black poplar, mahogany, katalox with matched inlaid control cover
Body thickness: 1.5"
Finish: Rubio Monocoat over epoxy seal coat
Tuners: Gotoh Resolite bass tuners, small and medium 510 series guitar tuners
Bridge and tailpiece: Sung Il
Strings: D'Addario Nickel Wound XL .018-.100 
Pickups: 2 Lace 3.5" Bass Bars
Electronics: Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, additional stereo passive output
Electronics layout: Stacked volumes, stacked bass/treble, mid with push/pull select. Coil split switch for each pickup and output jack selection switch (one output from OBP-3, one passive stereo output) 
Weight: 8lb 12oz

It turned out pretty much how I had envisioned it. Surprisingly, the weight is not bad, but of course it is a bit head heavy as all 12 strings are. It plays amazingly well with very low action. I'm still getting used to the technique required and I sometimes struggle to mute all of the strings when necessary.

I think it sounds fantastic. There are a lot of sound options with 2 output jacks. I can bypass the internal preamp and use a stereo cord to run each pickup to separate amps for a cool clean/dirty sound. I couldn't find a way to do this with active output short of installing 2 preamps... :D I'm am including a couple of sound clips. I apologize in advance for the sound quality, my digital interface starting making strange noises and I didn't want to bother with troubleshooting, but I think you'll get the idea. 

Here are some photos and sound clips.

NHPqLuO.jpg

v8Cz0fI.jpg

tLVEBDw.jpg

2EkUBcE.jpg

5kfM38k.jpg

IJAmJSp.jpg

8V80wUV.jpg

o47l5V3.jpg

CcL9QVa.jpg

Yf864uf.jpg

0O0oKsl.jpg

I1QUAi8.jpg

PDYcsor.jpg

zPEHPom.jpg

aR9OP7C.jpg

Of course this one has to be included with a 12 string build. :D

Edited by slingblader
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

On 9/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Dave Scepter said:

Absolutely breathtaking 😍 

On 9/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, G Man said:

Damn man, that is a serious work of art, and nice demos as well.  Love everything about this build, but for the fact that it isn't being shipped to me.

20 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That kicks a LOT of ass.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it! I'm super happy with this build. It plays so much better than I had hoped for, it's pretty amazing actually. Although, this is the first 12 that I've played, so there's that... :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JGale said:

😮 what's the string pull on a twelve-string like that one?

According to the rear panel on the pack of strings... 418lbs!!!! 

8KLWMZC.jpg

I can absolutely say that I'm glad I used 2 truss rods. They handle the tension with authority, only tightened about 3/4 of a turn past the point where they were snugged up enough not to rattle. 

South Park on Twitter: "Maybe THIS will teach you to RESPECT MY  AUTHORITAH!!! http://t.co/BdTiCYWpEm" / Twitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Been busy with work and the holidays, but getting ready to start another project. This one is going to be a multi-scale bass. Overall, this is going to be my take on the Gibson RD body style, mashed up with the Firebird/Thunderbird. 

This is my first multi-scale instrument, so keep your expectations low. I only have a vague idea of where this is going and what I'm doing (sounds like the intro to Stonehenge by Spinal Tap) but nevertheless, I'm going to take a stab at it. 

Here are a couple pictures of some piles of wood before I start. 

Some preliminary picks for neck and top wood... also some hardware and a crapload of binding for some reason.

AbxrBF8.jpg

Primary body wood will likely be poplar. Here's a big 'ol chonk.
BBgQypi.jpg

This started as a straight up RD outline (and has changed a bit since this photo). I like the new version as it reflects a lot of other instruments.
mIAEtYb.jpg

So, here are some generalities... all of which may change. :D

• 4 Strings
  • 36.25-34" E and G scale lengths (this is the only spec that will not change)
  • Bolt on neck (I think)
  • Overall color is white (Maybe sorta, kinda)
    • There are a lot of variables and tests that I want to do before I commit to the scheme that is in my noggin
  • Poplar body (yep, so likely a solid color over this portion)
  • Quilt maple top (maybe... it depends on said tests)
  • Maple, mahogany, bloodwood neck (likely)
  • Top bound body (thinking reverse LP Custom)
  • Bound neck and headstock (also reverse LP Custom)
  • Hardware color is black.... or gold. (I bought both, don't judge me)
  • Individual bridges (for obvious reasons)
  • 2 Lace Bass bars pickups (absolutely)
  • Audere 4 band active preamp (I think so... I bought it used and have not tested it... so it's a definite maybe)

Stay tuned, more to come. :) 

• Like 6

Got a little time out in the garage tonight and decided to start prepping fretboard and body material. That way I can let that material set after it's cut and I can go back to working on the templates. 

Flattened one side of a piece of pale moon ebony.

ZncNtT5.jpg

Took it to the band saw and cut it up into fretboard blanks
gN946vN.jpg

Also rough cut some poplar for the body.
NuXojLH.jpg

More soon. :)

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 10:32 AM, Steve Haynie said:

I like the look of that light ebony.  (Thank you, Bob Taylor!)  Can you feel a difference between that and the all dark ebony?

Yeah, it's cool stuff. I haven't actually machined it down yet, it's still just in rough blanks, but a lot of guys use it. According to the Wood Database, black and white ebony is actually a different variety (or whatever you call it), but it is a true ebony from the Diospyros family.

https://www.wood-database.com/black-and-white-ebony/

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 1:19 PM, JGale said:

Jeepers. You're good with those things, those French Curves we called them? I opted for the lead filled snake, like a cheater I suppose..

image.png

Thanks! I actually just draw and fair the lines freehand. This leaves the lines looking a little "sketchy", so I match up the French curves to the drawing so that I can put in solid lines. If you look closely, you can see that I note the curve number around the perimeter for future reference. :) I really need to buy one of those flexy drawing tools like you're talking about, that would help a lot!

The way that I go about this is that I start by drawing out a centerline and an accurate outline of the neck. I mark the nut, 12th fret, end of fretboard and the scale length. When I work on the body, I divide it into "quarters" and use a sheet of printer paper for each quarter. (aligned along the centerline, then taped at each far end) Then, I can make changes and try different ideas and just flip the pages back and forth to see how they work together. 

As an example, here is an earlier version.

foGPNQ8.jpg

And then I changed out the treble side horn.
xcdqNyr.jpg

And this is pretty much where I ended up, but before I solidified with the French curves. You can see some of the other outlines peeking through the paper.
Ts63TOk.jpg

Once I was satisfied with this, I taped the pages together and traced it onto a single piece of paper, which is the picture you see above with the French curves. I then slid that new copy under the main drawing and traced it yet again which completed the overall outline of the guitar. 

nA3h7Sf.jpg

Sorry, that was probably a lot more information than you wanted. :D

• Like 2

Here is a little more progress to report.

Jointed and glued up the body blank.

qEjYYYk.jpg

Flattened it on the drum sander.
Jomm4NT.jpg

Ready to cut out the body outline.
sw9fkWY.jpg

Prepped material for the neck. Hard maple, mahogany and bloodwood.
sVFqomM.jpg

Clamping jig and glue ready to go.
uScqozX.jpg

All clamped up.
3NV1wyH.jpg

• Like 4