Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tales from my workbench

I've spent all of my spare time this past week working on this project. The honey-do list beckons, so I want to get this one wrapped up ASAP... so here are a few photos.

I spent a good deal of time going back over the contours and facets, refining curves, radii, etc. :D

DQqhal8.jpg

WlM3Znz.jpg

3z3W3OS.jpg

I like to weigh these after I'm done carving and sanding (with no hardware, obviously). This one came in at 6lb., 0.6oz, which is only a few ounces more than the previous 5 string fretless that I made. So I guess the headstock and frets could account for that. :)
p30QWvp.jpg

Yesterday I began work on the finish, which is Rubio Monocoat over an epoxy sealer. This is the same finish that I used on my last bass build and is a very "close to the wood finish", so wood pores are left exposed (although they are sealed). 

Here are a couple of teaser preview pics. :D

AY4inhp.jpg

pmfUGHv.jpg

yrZzLwM.jpg

I love the way this finish just makes the wood glow. I should have full shots in a few days. :)

• Like 10

Loving this...

• Like 1

Well, I just finished this one up. Here is a summary of the details...

Specifications:
Scale: 34"
Neck-through contruction: 13 laminates in the main neck beam with dual truss rods, heel adjust
Neck material: Hard maple, padauk, black poplar 
Headstock: Claro walnut burl face with ebony accents
Fretboard: Heart and sap cocobolo
Fretboard radius: 12"
Nut: Stainless zero fret and Tusq nut
Frets: Stainless jumbo
Side position markers: Mother of pearl
Body wings: In order from top to back; Claro walnut burl, black poplar, alder core, black poplar, mahogany, katalox with matched inlaid control cover
Body thickness: 1.5"
Finish: Rubio Monocoat over epoxy seal coat
Tuners: Gotoh Resolite bass tuners, small and medium 510 series guitar tuners
Bridge and tailpiece: Sung Il
Strings: D'Addario Nickel Wound XL .018-.100 
Pickups: 2 Lace 3.5" Bass Bars
Electronics: Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, additional stereo passive output
Electronics layout: Stacked volumes, stacked bass/treble, mid with push/pull select. Coil split switch for each pickup and output jack selection switch (one output from OBP-3, one passive stereo output) 
Weight: 8lb 12oz

It turned out pretty much how I had envisioned it. Surprisingly, the weight is not bad, but of course it is a bit head heavy as all 12 strings are. It plays amazingly well with very low action. I'm still getting used to the technique required and I sometimes struggle to mute all of the strings when necessary.

I think it sounds fantastic. There are a lot of sound options with 2 output jacks. I can bypass the internal preamp and use a stereo cord to run each pickup to separate amps for a cool clean/dirty sound. I couldn't find a way to do this with active output short of installing 2 preamps... :D I'm am including a couple of sound clips. I apologize in advance for the sound quality, my digital interface starting making strange noises and I didn't want to bother with troubleshooting, but I think you'll get the idea. 

Here are some photos and sound clips.

NHPqLuO.jpg

v8Cz0fI.jpg

tLVEBDw.jpg

2EkUBcE.jpg

5kfM38k.jpg

IJAmJSp.jpg

8V80wUV.jpg

o47l5V3.jpg

CcL9QVa.jpg

Yf864uf.jpg

0O0oKsl.jpg

I1QUAi8.jpg

PDYcsor.jpg

zPEHPom.jpg

aR9OP7C.jpg

Of course this one has to be included with a 12 string build. :D

Edited by slingblader
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

That kicks a LOT of ass.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Dave Scepter said:

Absolutely breathtaking 😍 

On 9/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, G Man said:

Damn man, that is a serious work of art, and nice demos as well.  Love everything about this build, but for the fact that it isn't being shipped to me.

20 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That kicks a LOT of ass.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it! I'm super happy with this build. It plays so much better than I had hoped for, it's pretty amazing actually. Although, this is the first 12 that I've played, so there's that... :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JGale said:

😮 what's the string pull on a twelve-string like that one?

According to the rear panel on the pack of strings... 418lbs!!!! 

8KLWMZC.jpg

I can absolutely say that I'm glad I used 2 truss rods. They handle the tension with authority, only tightened about 3/4 of a turn past the point where they were snugged up enough not to rattle. 

South Park on Twitter: "Maybe THIS will teach you to RESPECT MY  AUTHORITAH!!! http://t.co/BdTiCYWpEm" / Twitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1