Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jackson grabbed Hamer Cali design

Meh.

I had considered ordering this. And while the real deal Orig. Floyd, reversed head stock and toggle switch are appealing,  the white p'ups (not a fan of Super D's either), the made in Korea, the control layout, the neck binding and the lack of fret markers leave me cold.  Had to learn that the hard way with my C3  re: binding (still pissed I opted for that even though it looks classy) and the HEL Willy G. Standard/Interceptor re: fret inlays. Like the binding, it looks cool but if you're used to rolled, unbound edges or using fret inlays to help visually navigate the neck, those can be problematic.

But truthfully, the biggest factor is: it will never be as good as the 8 USA Cali's I have currently. Period. If Jackson wants to send me one to try against my Cali's, I'll gladly accept but otherwise, this is just a really nifty looking and well appointed wanna be Cali. And it would be flipped (for a loss) in a few months time because it wouldn't measure up.

They said these specs were only previously available through the custom shop so all you custom shoppers can get a USA Jackson with these specs plus or minus to taste (except no boomers).

But of course, a boomered Californian or Virtuoso would be the ultimate ;).

i would imagine the boomer inlays are copyrighted ©?

4 hours ago, Bobby Marshall said:

i would imagine the boomer inlays are copyrighted ©?

Dang, I would hope so! I’m sure the designer is swamped with licensing requests from players wanting check marks between their frets. 

At least they aligned the neck pup with the end of the fretboard. I don't know if it'll sound better, but it looks better. Otherwise, meh. A lot of stuff hanging on GC's walls look "pretty", but after I pick it up off the wall, it feels cheap. I'd rather have a beater that's been around and plays like a nicely broken-in pair of sneakers. 

20 minutes ago, FGJ said:

For almost 2Gs, and it's made in Asia? Why the high price for an import?

That's my issue...there are used USA options for the same money.  The Asia market has been climbing though, especially when equipped with Made in USA electronics and better than average import hardware.  I fell into the trap when Reverend released these because it was different enough that it seemed to scratch a few different itches.  Turns out I really like the guitar, so it had a happy ending.  The only downside, and it's a big one, is having to deal with Fishman's rechargeable battery pack.

5c89648ce1917d5953a6a1cf_ww_koch_sm.jpg

36 minutes ago, FGJ said:

For almost 2Gs, and it's made in Asia? Why the high price for an import? Maybe if it were made in Japan, but otherwise, I don't see why it costs so much. 

Ultimately, I'm assuming so they can charge more for the US made stuff.  PRS is charging $1500 for their Made in China SE Hollowbody II Piezo:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEHB2PPB--prs-se-hollowbody-ii-piezo-peacock-blue

1 hour ago, FGJ said:

For almost 2Gs, and it's made in Asia? Why the high price for an import? Maybe if it were made in Japan, but otherwise, I don't see why it costs so much. 

Caparison guitars are $2600 and up and Made in Japan.  That's why stuff moved to Korea, then China, and I think some stuff is getting made in Vietnam and India now. 

At those prices, may as well make them here at home (although, anything made here in SoCal is probably not much different than "Made in Mexico", because it's likely the same workers building them unless you're getting something made in a custom shop). If I were going to spend that much on a guitar, it'd better be made here, in Japan, or be some valuable used gear that I really want. I'd buy another beat-up used Cali before I ever bought that Jackson.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, diablo175 said:

Had to learn that the hard way with my C3  re: binding (still pissed I opted for that even though it looks classy)

Sorry, what did you learn the hard way from the binding?   You didn't like it for some reason?

11 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Sorry, what did you learn the hard way from the binding?   You didn't like it for some reason?

Yep. I learned that I am not a fan of bound necks.

They look great but I generally find them to be less comfortable than the more rounded board edges on unbound necks. To me, they are the guitar equivalent of ivory or pearl handles on a pistol- they look distinctive but do they really impact the handling and accuracy?

On 7/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, diablo175 said:

Yep. I learned that I am not a fan of bound necks.

They look great but I generally find them to be less comfortable than the more rounded board edges on unbound necks. To me, they are the guitar equivalent of ivory or pearl handles on a pistol- they look distinctive but do they really impact the handling and accuracy?

I hear ya. I only have one guitar left with a bound neck, my Charvel. If my son doesn’t want it, I’ll probably be buried with it...

actually, that’s not true. I would rather be cremated. And I told @JGravelin after he wound the pickups for it that if my son doesn’t want it, I’ll put it in my will for him to get it. 😜

On 7/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, diablo175 said:

I learned that I am not a fan of bound necks.

Hamer taught me this lesson, first with the Talladega and then with their inability (thankfully) to follow directions when restoring 0227 (I asked for binding, they forgot to add it).  It's not a strong preference, but unbound necks with small inlays are my jam.

I don't care one way or the other as far as looks go, but I like the feel of the bound neck on my Newport which has the fret-end nibs bound as well. I suppose if it felt like a sharply creased edge I wouldn't like it, but it isn't uncomfortable at all (unlike bound bodies which irritate my forearm when it rests against the sharply creased binding for too long). 

Archived