Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another 80s hair band I had never heard of. Helloween.

Wait...  never...?  Helloween are often credited with creating power metal. Spawning countless others such as Gamma Ray (Kai Hansen’s band after he left Helloween)...

27 minutes ago, Travis said:

Wait...  never...?  Helloween are often credited with creating power metal. Spawning countless others such as Gamma Ray (Kai Hansen’s band after he left Helloween)...

Yeah, the '80s was a different time for me and speedmetal / hairbands didn't interest me much. 

15 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Yeah, the '80s was a different time for me and speedmetal / hairbands didn't interest me much. 

Understood. Helloween’s first album was closer to thrash than modern power metal, IMHO. Once Michael Kiske came on for vocals on their second album and they started including a bit more of their humor into their writing, things started taking off. Keeper of the 7 keys 1 & 2 are largely considered to be the beginning of the power metal genre. 

their “7 sinners” album from 2010 is one of my personal favorites from them. Much heavier tone. 

Just remember yawning back in the day (Headbangers Ball, maybe?).

I really liked Priest.  They were in my mind exactly what a metal band was supposed to be.  Deviations from that standard were tolerated, but not by much.  There were some tropes that called for immediate elimination: crappy or operatic lead singers, "Satan as marketing ploy," was always a turnoff, any hint of Olde English font (OTOH, umlauts were always welcome), or any band that took themselves too seriously.  But that was just me...  

A couple of years ago there was a guy at a Cloven Hoof show in Asheville wearing a Helloween shirt he got at their NYC show a week or so earlier.  He was the one everyone wanted to talk to because we all wanted to see Helloween, too. 

Archived