Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Triple Threat on Reverb - unusual COA?

Nice looking TT on Reverb, but what's up with the COA?

spacer.png

spacer.png

COA says “SH-1” pickups which are 59’s. I thought the TT’s came with antiquities or at least Seth Lovers. Although, I guess the antiquity is just an aged/relic’d Seth Lover which is just supposed to be an aged 59...

5 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

I don't buy that... There's a world of difference between a 59 and a Seth. 

I get that. But let’s see how similar you are after being aged 40+ years...

I know I’m not the same anymore. 😜

Duncan 59s are correct for the Triple Threat model.

Everything on the COA is in line with TT spec, except the name on the "Custom built for" line.  Every TT COA I've seen (admittedly only 5 of the 30) listed Dave's, Music Machine or Wildwood, not an individual person.

The serial number is almost 900 higher than mine. I'd always assumed, based on absolutely no factual knowledge, that the TT serial numbers were sequential, or at least closely spaced in time.

I AM NOT questioning the authenticity of the guitar.  Just thinking that this may have been made after the initial run (a mysterious 31st TT?) or possibly, as Cynic suggested, maybe it was ordered during the production run and the customer wanted his name on the COA.

Anyone have inside info?

That one was 3 guitars prior to my TT; mine was the one that had a heel break during shipping and while it did get the original parts back (I bought it as a broken body/neck) the original COA was not found.

Personal name COAs are clearly not unusual. I have seen a lot in the FS thread over the years. You got them with a personal custom order I assume, even though ordered through a shop.

ETA. Forgot to say that the guitar looks great. I like the top. But I’m wondering about the stop tail piece being a custom order. What had been the regular instead?

2 hours ago, gorch said:

Personal name COAs are clearly not unusual. I have seen a lot in the FS thread over the years. You got them with a personal custom order I assume, even though ordered through a shop.

ETA. Forgot to say that the guitar looks great. I like the top. But I’m wondering about the stop tail piece being a custom order. What had been the regular instead?

Here was Jol’s quote from the site when they came out...

"I am pleased to unveil a very special limited edition model that I call the Triple Threat. It's named after the three most unique features of the guitar and is a reference to my three esteemed design collaborators at the dealerships that will exclusively offer this model this year. Each instrument is a little different—some tops are flat-sawn and some are quarter-sawn and all are under 8.5 lbs. In addition to our '59 burst, colors are Ic'd-T and Wash'd-T.

In order to capture a different timbre, we've employed a single element neck design crafted from aged honduras mahogany. To provide maximum stability we have used seasoned wood and allowed the finished necks to normalize for a long period before curving and fretting the Brazilian rosewood fingerboard.

The second bold feature is the 17 degree headstock angle which makes this instrument unique among modern Hamers.The final touch is the use of a TonePros AVR II vintage style bridge and matching TonePros tailpiece in cast zinc. All hardware is nickel finish."This was a very fun project with a great group of people, but when these are gone... that's all folks!"

Only things on the COA that are’t outlined in the Quote above is the guy’s name and the pickups. That’s why I was originally wondering about the 59’s. 

On 7/28/2020 at 2:28 PM, Travis said:

COA says “SH-1” pickups which are 59’s. I thought the TT’s came with antiquities or at least Seth Lovers. Although, I guess the antiquity is just an aged/relic’d Seth Lover which is just supposed to be an aged 59...

The Antiquities are pretty much aged Seth Lover pickups, however the '59 pickups are definitely different. They are constructed using the modern techniques, while the Seth Lover is a recreation of the original PAF pickups. 

"Designed to deliver classic P.A.F. tone with modern construction, the ’59 (SH-1) vintage output humbucker pickup’s open, detailed sound and sweet top end make it the perfect choice for rock and blues."

The '59s also use Alnico 5 magnets, compared to the Seth Lover Alnico II. Of course, the original PAFs could have either, or Alnico III even, whatever was on hand. Gibson obsessed far FAR less over their construction than pickup makers trying for the "ultimate PAF recreation" do today.

8 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

The Antiquities are pretty much aged Seth Lover pickups, however the '59 pickups are definitely different. They are constructed using the modern techniques, while the Seth Lover is a recreation of the original PAF pickups. 

"Designed to deliver classic P.A.F. tone with modern construction, the ’59 (SH-1) vintage output humbucker pickup’s open, detailed sound and sweet top end make it the perfect choice for rock and blues."

The '59s also use Alnico 5 magnets, compared to the Seth Lover Alnico II. Of course, the original PAFs could have either, or Alnico III even, whatever was on hand. Gibson obsessed far FAR less over their construction than pickup makers trying for the "ultimate PAF recreation" do today.

Yeah, I remember reading an article somewhere that several PAF-type pickups were compared to actual PAFs and supposedly the 59 sounded the most like the originals. I also took this to mean that the original PAFs varied so much it was probably just that the old ones happened to sound more like the 59s than the other way around. 

To me, the 59s were always a solid pickup, but not stellar. I’ve never had a 59 sound bad in a guitar, but I’ve also never kept them in long term. To paraphrase a quote I’ve heard about another brand’s product: the Duncan 59 is the world’s okay-est pickup...

Here's my COA  I misread the serial number when I posted earlier.

Actually, mine is 21 guitars after the Reverb TT and Stonge's was between the two, which reinforces the idea that TT serial numbers were sequential, or at least numbered in close proximity.

IMG_3216.JPG

Archived