Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Not just another Flying V...

So, I had a killer 1981 Flying V with block inlays.  You know the model.  I sold it to the Chicago Music Exchange guys at the Florida International Vintage Guitar Show in 1998.  I've regretted it ever since.  

A buddy bought one of the 2014 Custom Shop "reissues".  He lives in Germany.  He's U.S. Military and is about ready to retire.  He paid a bunch for it.  He told me that it was killer.  Apparently there are about 40 of the white Custom Shop 70's Flying V guitars.  My buddy says he was told there are only six or seven with block inlays.  

So, I popped for one at an inflated price.  I don't care.  My buddy knows a great guitar.  I'm hopeful that this one will be every bit as great as his.  Did I mention that he's my hero.  Two tours in Afghanistan.  Two tours in Kuwait years before.  But he's mostly been in Germany.  And Michael is his favorite player.  Mine too.

DaNSWWz.jpg

sCdLcSx.jpg

XTAxYyf.jpg

It's a badassed reissue.  

Reminds me of the first "quality" guitar I ever owned, a 1980 white Gibson Flying V new off the rack when I was 15 (worked my ass off all summer to save for it).  Just like this one without the bound board and block inlays.  This is the first one like that I've ever seen!  Very cool and congrats!  I for one like this headstock better than the pointier one...  Enjoy it!! 😎

33 minutes ago, The Shark said:

Not everyone's favorite headstock, but period correct to be sure.

The pointy headstocks belong on ‘58 RIs. I’m inspired to break out my Fernandes MSV. (Gawd, I just love making NGD posts all about me! It's my idiom).

msv.jpeg

Love it! (Although I am no fan of tom bridges on Vees. I'd put a Vibrola on that one faster than Yngwie sweeps an arpeggio. But that's just me.)

Congrats!

Beautiful V, get to put it thru the paces yet?? Thick chunka chunka like I remember from those guitars?? I never could get w the shape but I sure loved the tone’s they put out!!

I have NEVER been a fan of small block inlays, but they really do look sweet on that style of Flying V.  Methinks it was a design aesthetic just looking for the right application.

2 hours ago, DaveL said:

That’s really cool.  Am a sucker for white v’s.   

They're the sheeee-yitt!  I remember a guy who was a few years older than me in high school getting a new white V for Christmas one year...thought that was the coolest thing ever.  Maybe Mark/Jakeboy will remember who that was?

On 7/29/2020 at 4:53 AM, Dutchman said:

Thick chunka chunka like I remember from those guitars?? I never could get w the shape but I sure loved the tone’s they put out!!

That's interesting. While they are fine lead guitars, every one I've owned (including Vectors) excelled with rhythm. Not sure if it's the body shape, with the mass far behind the bridge, or what. Either way, the suckas vibrate.

Archived